Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Split

I’m sure it was just a cost saving exercise by Thule to provide VW with a cheaper product that went horribly wrong. I had long conversations with them regarding the join which they insisted was “Welded” and not glued. I told them if the join had actually been “Welded” it would be impossible to come apart but like we all know it does come apart. It’s just another one of the VW California ticking time bombs!!
Mine came apart after Three and a half years.
I have no idea how many Thule and VW replaced both under warranty and out of warranty but it must have been in the high hundreds. Which could have been completely avoided if they hadn’t try and penny pinch from the start.

I’m sure it was just a cost saving exercise by Thule to provide VW with a cheaper product that went horribly wrong. I had long conversations with them regarding the join which they insisted was “Welded” and not glued. I told them if the join had actually been “Welded” it would be impossible to come apart but like we all know it does come apart. It’s just another one of the VW California ticking time bombs!!
Mine came apart after Three and a half years.
I have no idea how many Thule and VW replaced both under warranty and out of warranty but it must have been in the high hundreds. Which could have been completely avoided if they hadn’t try and penny pinch from the start.
Well it was a Thule cost saving exercise across their whole range then, not just the VW California 5102 awning.

Not sure if it is a similar material to the membranes used on roofs such as Sarnafil, which are “welded” by using a heat gun along a seam. Anyway a lot of people have had a lot of problems with the awning and unfortunately our T6 is 8 years old and not covered by any warranty. Time for a new one me thinks! Thank you all for your comments, advice etc, greatly appreciated.

I have tried a couple of companies for a new awning to replace the factory fitted awning to our Ocean without any luck. I finally was given the name of Dan at Rose Awnings who was very helpful and they do have a stock of the awnings. The new awnings, Thule Omnistor 5102 come with fabric in one piece. Ordered today with delivery Tuesday. No more problems with seams splitting!

I have tried a couple of companies for a new awning to replace the factory fitted awning to our Ocean without any luck. I finally was given the name of Dan at Rose Awnings who was very helpful and they do have a stock of the awnings. The new awnings, Thule Omnistor 5102 come with fabric in one piece. Ordered today with delivery Tuesday. No more problems with seams splitting!
Yes, Thule/Omnistor changed ALL their awnings to one piece fabric a few years ago. It wasn’t a VW thing.