Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sportline 18s to Keep it Not...

P

Pembo

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hey folks. I wonder if you could help. I have a 2015 Beach with Sportline pack inc 18” sportline wheels. I don’t think the wheels look that great but they’re ok. My concern is that I prefer a softer/more comfy ride and not sure if I am gonna ever get this with these wheels or I need to go down to 17” rims

I’m aware much of this is in the tyres/rubber you run and I am very prepared to spend good money on good rubber so my questions are these:

1. What size tyre can I use on my 18s that will give me more comfort (I prefer good all weather tyres)

2. If a no go on those wheels can anyone recommend where I can get OEM 17s from please and again what rubber is recommended?

3. Anyone fancy my Sportline wheels if I sell them?

Appreciate your advice on this one folks

Pembo

Hiya.
Yep I fancy the if I could have first refusal pls.you cannot change the 18”tyre size you need to keep the rolling radius the same size

One more thing.
If you go 17” you need 235 55 17 or I believe 215 60 17s both the same rolling radius.
Plenty come up for sale on here and eBay
That will soften up the ride slightly
But if you want rid of the sportlines I’ll have them please regards jason

Where about are you and what condition and colour are your wheels/tyres, I've currently got 17" and could be interested in a swap.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

One more thing.
If you go 17” you need 235 55 17 or I believe 215 60 17s both the same rolling radius.
Plenty come up for sale on here and eBay
That will soften up the ride slightly
But if you want rid of the sportlines I’ll have them please regards jason
Thanks Jason. Will keep you Informed. Appreciate it.

Where about are you and what condition and colour are your wheels/tyres, I've currently got 17" and could be interested in a swap.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Hey. Sorry for the delay. I’m In Reigate and the wheels are all good (a bit of scuffing but can take pics once back from working away). I’m
Interested in a smart but comfy ride. On my previous T’s I’ve always ended up doing the same. The Sportline pack is cool but more
Rubber is def a preference of
Mine...

All these are the same wheels I’ve got. Not sure of the style tbh?

CE200B9E-A80D-4ED6-8713-151C62906F7E.png

317CB8FA-406B-420F-892A-56A1F70BEBED.jpeg FC0F0C05-0571-49D6-8A98-77E5E854BF94.png A03B5C0F-6458-49DE-9FC5-60770CB27531.jpeg D837FAF8-E5D9-47B1-AE30-8D67E1E607EF.jpeg Hey folks. I asked my DW to take a couple
Of pics for me whilst away to help inform the chat/ask for help. Here’s a few pics which show the info plate re what wheels/tyres I can have from the drivers side, plus the tyres I’m running plus a catalogue pic of what wheels I have and a ‘brake dust grey’ pic of the wheels in reality (not cleaned since a recent camp trip...sorry. Hope this helps with the real question re what is the most comfy ride? Have I gone as comfy as I can with these wheels/tyres? Will 17s be better? Which combo of 17s is best? Also, how
Much are my wheels worth? Not a lot of tyre
Left On the fronts but rears are good. Is it a straight swap for 17” cascavels or money included? Sorry for being a dimbo...all help welcome!

Hi folks. Thanks for the interest/offers and guidance. I’m gonna keep the wheels for now and add new Goodyear’s V4 G2s at 235/50. Getting 55s on a 17 rim doesnt add much rubber/comfort so I’m gonna try these for w while longer. Thanks again though. Pembo

Hi folks. Thanks for the interest/offers and guidance. I’m gonna keep the wheels for now and add new Goodyear’s V4 G2s at 235/50. Getting 55s on a 17 rim doesnt add much rubber/comfort so I’m gonna try these for w while longer. Thanks again though. Pembo
Make sure they are Load Rated for the California, because your present tyres are not according to those photos and could result in your Insurance company refusing cover in the event of a claim.

Seems that your chosen tyres do not have a load rated version in that tyre size.

They’re just about in aren’t they? Not sure what the Beach max gross weight is, our Ocean is 3080 kg gross same as previous SE; 3080 / 4 = 770 kg per wheel. Load index 101 is 825kg. (Our Ocean is 103 which is 875.)

Or has one axle has more weight than the other?

They’re just about in aren’t they? Not sure what the Beach max gross weight is, our Ocean is 3080 kg gross same as previous SE; 3080 / 4 = 770 kg per wheel. Load index 101 is 825kg. (Our Ocean is 103 which is 875.)

But the 101 Load Rating is on the 16” Wheels/tyres, not the 17” or 18”. I don’t know why there should be a difference, but the Insurance would go by the VW information.

Hey folks. I wonder if you could help. I have a 2015 Beach with Sportline pack inc 18” sportline wheels. I don’t think the wheels look that great but they’re ok. My concern is that I prefer a softer/more comfy ride and not sure if I am gonna ever get this with these wheels or I need to go down to 17” rims

I’m aware much of this is in the tyres/rubber you run and I am very prepared to spend good money on good rubber so my questions are these:

1. What size tyre can I use on my 18s that will give me more comfort (I prefer good all weather tyres)

2. If a no go on those wheels can anyone recommend where I can get OEM 17s from please and again what rubber is recommended?

3. Anyone fancy my Sportline wheels if I sell them?

Appreciate your advice on this one folks

Pembo

Agree . I come from a long history of several 110’s , Range Rover Classic and Discovery and Landcruiser Amazon ( the best ) . You can’t beat lots of good rubber. BF Goodrich were best on Landrover and Landcruiser and I’ve tried a lot including military . Landrover sadly don’t exist anymore they’ve lost the plot . Sadly BFGoodrich don’t make tyres for 17 in Cali either . Rolling resistance is a whole other issue !

You want 255/45/18 103XL
That’s what I run on my 18s. The difference in ride quality between them and the 16s is marginal. With the 16s being slightly softer.

Remember it’s not just the tyre height but width will also be a factor. Thus 255 a wider tyre will help soften those pesky potholes.
I know some will argue I’m talking rubbish, but I’m sure the 18s give better traction in the snow too, which goes against the grain of narrow tyres work better in the snow

One axle can have a higher rating than the other. Info is on a sticker under your bonnet - here's the one on mine.

IMG_1259.JPG

The 1 and 2 denote front and rear axles, so on mine I wouldn't run anything less than an 840kg rated wheel with appropriate tyre.

Yours seems to have a higher max gross weight, 3200 as against 3080, a useful bit extra. It would be interesting to see what @Pembo's mgw was on his Beach.

Sorry but mines not a Cali :( - just a Cali wannabe Kombi!
Well there a bit of useful extra capacity there, you can have a proper sink instead of one out of a doll's house! :D

You want 255/45/18 103XL
That’s what I run on my 18s. The difference in ride quality between them and the 16s is marginal. With the 16s being slightly softer.

Remember it’s not just the tyre height but width will also be a factor. Thus 255 a wider tyre will help soften those pesky potholes.
I know some will argue I’m talking rubbish, but I’m sure the 18s give better traction in the snow too, which goes against the grain of narrow tyres work better in the snow
Only advantage a 255 would have over a 235 (20mm) would be that it might bridge some potholes that the 235 might have dropped into.
The side wall heights are virtually identical in this instance so no cushioning change there.
In reality the lower the profile the stiffer the sidewall becomes and can't absorb impact as well.

In snow, the deep variety, a wide tyre can't compress the snow to ride over it and the vehicle becomes stuck. Talking from experience on more than one occasion.

Only advantage a 255 would have over a 235 (20mm) would be that it might bridge some potholes that the 235 might have dropped into.
And it might hit some bumps the narrower tyre might have missed! :D

The side wall heights are virtually identical in this instance so no cushioning change there.
In reality the lower the profile the stiffer the sidewall becomes and can't absorb impact as well.

In snow, the deep variety, a wide tyre can't compress the snow to ride over it and the vehicle becomes stuck. Talking from experience on more than one occasion.

With a 235 tyre you won’t get the correct load rating.
Needs to be 103xl minimum for a California. That’s why Volkswagen supply 18s with 255

With a 235 tyre you won’t get the correct load rating.
Needs to be 103xl minimum for a California. That’s why Volkswagen supply 18s with 255
When in my local VW Commercial dealers I noticed that they had the Sportline wheels on display/sale and all with 235's.

At 825kgs load rating, 1650kgs per axle the 235's are legal but close to the margin.

Back