Squeaky Bilstein air suspension

M

mikeypriecy

Vehicle
Please Select
I hope someone can help. I have had Bilstein air suspension fitted to my t6.1 (T32 4wd) and since then it has made a loud squeaking noise at low speeds, only from the rear. The top of the bag is in direct contact with the underside of van, is there supposed to be a rubber component in there somewhere to eliminate the squeak perhaps?

I hope someone can help. I have had Bilstein air suspension fitted to my t6.1 (T32 4wd) and since then it has made a loud squeaking noise at low speeds, only from the rear. The top of the bag is in direct contact with the underside of van, is there supposed to be a rubber component in there somewhere to eliminate the squeak perhaps?
Don't have Bilstein but VB Air. Just went and checked and the top of the bag is not in direct contact with the underside of the van. There is a rubber bag and then on top a thick rubber washer/spacer of sorts which then touches the van body.

I would do two things.
1. Check the front and the rear bags and see the components and the order in which they have been fitted. i.e: if the front one does not touch the body and/or only one of the rear ones does, then you know there is an issue.
2. If all of them look the same, I would spray some silicone where the rubber meets the body, though VB specifically recommend not to use any chemicals near the bag.

Also what makes you so sure that it is the bags creating the noise? Have you taken off the wheel and fitted it again? Maybe something not quite right there? or it could also be some component that has not be reinstalled correctly that is causing the issue?

Some food for thought.

Do post some videos if possible so that people can share their expertise.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

The fronts are setup somewhat differently and they are quiet, so i'm comfortable that they're OK.

There was nothing else changed at the rear, apart from the suspension on this occasion, and the squeak occurred immediately. We (the fitter and me) thought it may be settling in of the components, but alas no. We fitted everything that was in the kit of parts from a well known / established retailer. We changed the alloys to a previous set in case that was the issue, and checked all the rubbers and bushes, all of which are in good condition except one , so we changed the pair (one each side) in case that was a wear point. No change.

Now I know there is supposed to be a rubber washer in there, I can go back to the retailer and find out if these were missed in our shipment or whether I was supposed to have ordered them in addition to the kit.

I will get some photo's when she is up on the ramp and update here. Let's hope that eliminates the noise.

Once again, thank you!

The fronts are setup somewhat differently and they are quiet, so i'm comfortable that they're OK.
In the case of VB Air, the front and the rear are the same. No difference. Best to check with the dealer. The other option is - there are some people over on the t6forum who have Bilsteins fitted. Maybe ask there as well?