Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar bike rack versus tailgate bike rack

Hi, I've not hot a Cali yet, but use this on a T5 it is a great piece of kit, very easy to remove, it also fits really easy into a boot.... Even use it with our VW Touran!

ALTERA STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... .php?20384
Hi There

I am thinking of buying the Strada DL3 to fit to a tow bar - can you tell what type of tow bar you use? I was advised that I should choose a swan type tow bar but I'm not sure that a detachable swan would be better.

Thanks

Michael

Hi, I've not hot a Cali yet, but use this on a T5 it is a great piece of kit, very easy to remove, it also fits really easy into a boot.... Even use it with our VW Touran!

ALTERA STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... .php?20384
Hi

Can you tell me whether the Aletra Strada DL3 allows you to open the tailgate without removing the bike rack (ie the tailgate can open with the bikes tilted back)?

Thanks

Michael

Hi, I have an Atera Strada DL3 with the removable tow bar (which so far stays in place)....
Have adapted the Atera to carry skis at the same time as 3 bikes.
Yes you can open the tailgate with the rack on, but make sure that bikes with wide handlebars are not closest to the tailgate (or rotate the handlebars on the first bike)

One thing that I have noticed recently (and ties in with another post about grounding the car / bike rack) is that you can vary the horizontal and vertical angle of the rack clamp on the towball - you can have it at a slight angle right/left to give more space with the tailgate at the handlebar end, and also you can have the rack lifted slightly up (more ground clearance for the back of the rack, but at the same time less clearance for the tailgate or vice versa).

Great - thanks for such a quick reply. I was in a quandary as to whether to fit a tow bar without knowing that the tilting DL3 would still not leave enough space to open the tailgate. I'm minded to get this done as the tailgate bike rack is a bit of a struggle when lifting heavy e-bikes onto it.

One thing that I have noticed recently (and ties in with another post about grounding the car / bike rack) is that you can vary the horizontal and vertical angle of the rack clamp on the towball - you can have it at a slight angle right/left to give more space with the tailgate at the handlebar end, and also you can have the rack lifted slightly up (more ground clearance for the back of the rack, but at the same time less clearance for the tailgate or vice versa).
OK thanks - interesting.

Ours came with a tailgate rack, and with empty rack and just the deckchairs in the boot the tailgate just stayed open.
Now I have filled the spaces in between the chairs with sides for the roll out awning and a tarp or two the tailgate only just stays open, with no rack on.
I am conscious of not trying to talk up the solution I have, and it may be that I need to check if the gas support struts for the tailgate need to be upgraded (2016 Ocean), but.......as it stands the tailgate would not have stayed up with chairs, awning sides and the tailgate rack, let alone any bikes on a tailgate rack.

Great - thanks for such a quick reply. I was in a quandary as to whether to fit a tow bar without knowing that the tilting DL3 would still not leave enough space to open the tailgate. I'm minded to get this done as the tailgate bike rack is a bit of a struggle when lifting heavy e-bikes onto it.
I can vouch for the DL3 tilting sufficiently to open the Tailgate with 3 adult bicycles, but the nearest needs the handlebars turned 90o.
Be aware this is with the Genuine VW Westfalia Detachable towbar. I cannot vouch for any 3 rd party Towbar makes.

In case anybody is considering the Thule Velospace XT3 and wondering if the tailgate can still be opened and whether a slide out drawer can still be operated with the bike rack fitted and bikes loaded - yes to both.

EE1AD15F-E1F8-4FAB-8A0C-A29EC138F6A1.jpeg

In case anybody is considering the Thule Velospace XT3 and wondering if the tailgate can still be opened and whether a slide out drawer can still be operated with the bike rack fitted and bikes loaded - yes to both.

View attachment 76787
I agree. Just needed to alter the tilt angle from its initial default setting to clear the tailgate. I would also add that the operation of both fitting/removing and tilting/lifting back is easily done by one person.