Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Apologies for the thread hijack. Back on topic.

I will eventually fit a Stsrlink to the wagon, so I am following this thread with interest; especially WRT how to skin the cat of delivering it power. @Webbah_in_Switzerland as ever has the primo example, just not sure my less frequent use case justifies an elaborate setup.

While I mull things over, I usually buy a placeholder to keep things ticking over.

So, I’m mulling a 5G router - as with everything, a multitude of options and price points.This was recommended by some people who had tried a few options.

https://amzn.eu/d/i7lrQAv (I know everyone has their preferred brand etc.)

Are there certain specs (carrier/SIM compatibility aside), you tech heads would recommend as most important for speed & connectivity?

I liked the notion of potentially wiring this to the adapter I have with USB-C output in the Victron load to charge it in summer. Trying to get my head around how 10,000 mAh translates to surfing time.

Use case - not work. Just a hotspot for 2 devices, light useage at night to maybe play an audiobook for the gremlin and for me to keep up on the swamper forum on here.
That hotspot should be ok, but I previously had a Netgear Nighthawk as it also has an optional external antenna that can be mounted on a window via suction cups. That dramatically improved the signal in some spotty areas. Something to consider if you are truly a swamper and out in the boondocks. I really would advised to have a look at FTS Hennig (it's in German but these guys really know their stuff)

Apologies for the thread hijack. Back on topic.

I will eventually fit a Stsrlink to the wagon, so I am following this thread with interest; especially WRT how to skin the cat of delivering it power. @Webbah_in_Switzerland as ever has the primo example, just not sure my less frequent use case justifies an elaborate setup.

While I mull things over, I usually buy a placeholder to keep things ticking over.

So, I’m mulling a 5G router - as with everything, a multitude of options and price points.This was recommended by some people who had tried a few options.

https://amzn.eu/d/i7lrQAv (I know everyone has their preferred brand etc.)

Are there certain specs (carrier/SIM compatibility aside), you tech heads would recommend as most important for speed & connectivity?

I liked the notion of potentially wiring this to the adapter I have with USB-C output in the Victron load to charge it in summer. Trying to get my head around how 10,000 mAh translates to surfing time.

Use case - not work. Just a hotspot for 2 devices, light useage at night to maybe play an audiobook for the gremlin and for me to keep up on the swamper forum on here.
The ZTE would be fine, I think. It is a good spec. And yes, everyone has their own preference and use case. Personally, I am not too bothered about an internal battery as I need a guaranteed connection all day for work. I just run mine off 12v. For your use case I think the device may be overkill as it’s just for casual use. What about just using your phone?

For performance the main things to consider are:
- Will the internal antenna work ok in the van?
- If you want to connect to an external antenna, do the jacks support 4x4 MIMO? Most devices do not.

Your link ships from a third party on Amazon. Check their returns policy. I normally make sure items ship from Amazon as it makes returns easy and free.

The ZTE would be fine, I think. It is a good spec. And yes, everyone has their own preference and use case. Personally, I am not too bothered about an internal battery as I need a guaranteed connection all day for work. I just run mine off 12v. For your use case I think the device may be overkill as it’s just for casual use. What about just using your phone?

For performance the main things to consider are:
- Will the internal antenna work ok in the van?
- If you want to connect to an external antenna, do the jacks support 4x4 MIMO? Most devices do not.

Your link ships from a third party on Amazon. Check their returns policy. I normally make sure items ship from Amazon as it makes returns easy and free.
Agreed re Amazon shipping.

Currently use my phone, as it has unlimited data. Was planning a hotspot so I could run a dedicated device for the little creature (as currently one of us has to go without a phone if her stories are playing); also fancied an alternative carrier (I use EE), if my main carrier has a blackspot (so would need to be Vodafone really).

I tether off the phone a lot, but the connection is oddly unstable to my laptop (odd as Apple > Apple), and to my wife’s phone. Though passwords are saved etc, often the connection drops or simply won’t connect.

Drives me a bit batshit!

I have an old 4G Vodafone hotspot I could dig out.

Probably just getting tech for tech’s sake

Last edited:
Agreed re Amazon shipping.

Currently use my phone, as it has unlimited data. Was planning a hotspot so I could run a dedicated device for the little creature (as currently one of us has to go without a phone if her stories are playing); also fancied an alternative carrier (I use EE), if my main carrier has a blackspot (so would need to be Vodafone really).

I tether off the phone a lot, but the connection is oddly unstable to my laptop (odd as Apple > Apple), and to my wife’s phone. Though passwords are saved etc, often the connection drops or simply won’t connect.

Drives me a bit batshit!

I have an old 4G Vodafone hotspot I could dig out.

Probably just getting tech for tech’s sake
An old 4g hotspot may be worse than your phone! Give it a go! The specification of the ZTE device does look good though and very compact. It is much cheaper than the Netgear equivalent, which apparently has problems with overheating.

Personally, I use a home router that pulls in a better signal than my iPhone. That’s another option and there are lots of second hand ones on eBay.

Just a quick update on my Starlink Mini set up. I bought a cheap third party 5m USB C cable from Amazon, it took a while to arrive but works flawlessly and has the weather proof plug same as the supplied Starlink 15m cable. I’m running this from the 12v socket on the end of the kitchen (so runs off leisure batteries) using a Anker 100w USB C adaptor. All works fine.

I recently upgraded my leisure batteries to LifePO4 (2x100ah) so can surf off grid as long as I need to, just off on a two week trip to France/Spain so it’ll be interesting to see how long the 50GB data plan lasts. I’m fairly confident it should easily see out the trip in which case it’s the ideal set up for my use case.

I did make one less than optimal purchase - the tactic vans magnet mounts.

https://www.tacticvans.com/shop/p/starlink-mini-magnetic-supports

Whilst the quality is superb the magnets are so strong that it’s only really useful for me if I semi permanently mount to the roof rack which I don’t want to do for security reasons (the Starlink is rock solid with the magnets even at 85mph err 70mph). I think they would work well for anyone who is happy to mount to the bodywork of their van or someone that has a van with a steel roof (they obviously won’t stick to the Cali aluminium pop top).

Back