Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Significant price increase on the Roam subscription announced :headbang
£96 pm from 10th Oct

Oooph. I was starting to get buyers remorse for going 5G (not because of performance, but simply cool points). Slightly happier at my £3.30 per month 500gb limit now :D

Significant price increase on the Roam subscription announced :headbang
£96 pm from 10th Oct

Just went to 72Chf in Switzerland from 50Chf. That’s steep. But now includes in motion use apparently which I don’t use. Ughh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went to 72Chf in Switzerland from 50Chf. That’s steep. But now includes in motion use apparently which I don’t use. Ughh.

1b34e306048484cb02d095f979130af5.png

Technically the roam plan does not allow in motion use (but some do it). To use motion roam you need to subscribe to mobile priority. That said on my van I only mount the dish when parked up as I have a 5G router that works most of the time unless in remote locations. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that’s what the plan used to be. And that has just changed “effective immediately” as per the email posted above from Starlink.

Hadn't noticed they'd added in-motion to the Roam sub - but like you I don't use that anyway.

Really I need a subscription that I can stop/start and use at multiple fixed points........oh wait, that's what I had!! :headbang

I subscribe to the Roam 50GB plan and the price is unchanged but In-Motion, International and Coastal coverage have been added (here in UK) so my plan has actually got better with no price increase. I guess they must be reaching capacity issues hence throttling back the unlimited plans by increasing the price?

50GB works in my use case (it’s £1 for every extra GB if exceeded) but that’s a hefty price increase for heavy data users!

Best not to criticise the business practices of the worlds richest man on X though as it probably won’t end well…

Same here. £10 per month for EE 5G internet capped at 500GB. I use it at home and in the van. Even on 4G I’ve seen over 100mbps upload and 200mbps download. Not used outside the UK, but I would probably get a cheap Lebara data sim or similar in that scenario.

Honestly - worth considering 5G data plans. Nabbed this (as mentioned earlier in the thread) for £3.30 per month fixed until Oct 2026 or something, with 500gb per month.

IMG_3140.png

Honestly - worth considering 5G data plans. Nabbed this (as mentioned earlier in the thread) for £3.30 per month fixed until Oct 2026 or something, with 500gb per month.

View attachment 128904
I've got 5G too but signal not always great - running 2 SIM's as well (3 & O2) with EE on my phone.
Starlink just gives me the guarantee of a connection.

View attachment 128904

That’s certainly a great deal. I like to camp off grid and as remote as possible which very often means no cell coverage. So in my use case (regrettably) Starlink is the best solution. I’ve a big trip planned next year in Europe where cell coverage will likely be unreliable and/or require multiple SIM cards. I don’t need much data when travelling for leisure, mostly just researching routes and destinations and some video streaming.

If I was doing lots of video calls, uploading big files and trying to keep young children entertained largely from camp sites or areas with decent coverage then I would almost certainly be looking at a good 5g router and data package.

TLDR; horses for courses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My house broadband is a 4g router running an O2 unlimited data SIM, O2 have European roaming so this works away as well, the van has a 5g router and I plan to take the house SIM with me. £25 a month,

Back