Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starting issues

C

Calivanfan

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This winter my cali started to show some difficulties firing up. Hence the cold, I was convinced it was the battery. When I turned off all other features that could be using power from the battery, the van started normally.

The starting difficulties were not constant but appeared "now and then". A couple of weeks ago I had to get the car serviced for regularly maintenance and then they replaced a pressure sensor of the fuel line. 99% chance that would be the origin of the staring issues.

Last week my cali didn't start at all. The starter engine turns over but it seems like the fuel won't ignite.
The vw-garage is keeping the car this week to search for the real problem. For the moment they are not to sure about what the correct diagnose would be. On the phone they suggested it is not an electric problem but a "fuel problem"...
I am quite stressed out because next Monday I planned on leaving for my holiday across Denmark...

anyone with similar issues?

ps I filmed the starting issue with my phone, but I am not sure on how to attach it to this post...
ps2: sorry for my bad English ;-)

Are you sure it’s not the battery? My battery was coming back clear on tests but wouldn’t have enough juice to fire the engine up every time.

I never had an issue starting if I used a jump start and the battery charged up once moving so was pretty obvious the battery was the issue.

Due to the stop:start function on new vehicles I hear this results in more battery failures / shorter lifespan

Battery was measured in the garage, but was fine.
But like you said, the car starts with the jumpstart everytime.

I just hope it get's fixed by the end of the week. I already booked and paid a couple of campsites and my kids are really looking forward going to legoland...

obviously not an ideal solution, but maybe just carry a jump starter pack for your upcoming holiday.

Since I had my battery changed I’ve not had any issues with starting (Bertie is a 2020 Ocean so the battery failed quite quickly)

While I was waiting for the battery replacement I did switch off the stop / start function as one time it wouldn’t restart at traffic lights once it went into stop and caused a lot of chaos!

Battery was measured in the garage, but was fine.
But like you said, the car starts with the jumpstart everytime.

I just hope it get's fixed by the end of the week. I already booked and paid a couple of campsites and my kids are really looking forward going to legoland...
All depends how they measured the health of the battery, because it can have a normal voltage on testing but fail to hold a charge or deliver enough amps.
Also, during the cold a diesel can be very dependent on the glow plugs. These can fail, they also take a lot of amps when heating up.. If one or more has failed then the engine may not start first time.

My money is on fuel pressure. When you say it didn’t start do you mean it just took a long crank or just refused to start at all?

obviously not an ideal solution, but maybe just carry a jump starter pack for your upcoming holiday.

Since I had my battery changed I’ve not had any issues with starting (Bertie is a 2020 Ocean so the battery failed quite quickly)

While I was waiting for the battery replacement I did switch off the stop / start function as one time it wouldn’t restart at traffic lights once it went into stop and caused a lot of chaos!
My wife had the same problem in the centre of historical Antwerp

My money is on fuel pressure. When you say it didn’t start do you mean it just took a long crank or just refused to start at all?
It took several tries to start and the last time it didn’t start at all

we got it in februari 2020 so I am afraid not… :-(

thanks foor the reference. So far there a a couple of threads that are very similar. It does get a bit to technical for me, but it might give me some background when talking to my vw dealership.
according to what I have read so far, Sidepod might be right.

I'll post when I get more information/updates on my van.

So, the van was at the dealer for this whole week. They have been testing it but couldn’t reproduce the same problem I had. It started perfectly every single time.
They saw the error when the read out the car but they did not find the real cause of it.
“Something with the fuel system” is what they said…

I Just hope the jump start of the road assistance somehow fixed the problem because the van is loaded and we are about to leave for denmark.

Worst case scenario is having to call vw Assistance again which is a great Assistance and it costs me nothing…

We’ll See how the trip goes

back from Denmark... no issues at all...

We are back home two days and I already had 1 issue after the start-stop function got activated. From now on, i'll immediately turn off the start/stop function.
otherwise, the cali remains a brilliant vehicle: compact but still room for 4 (and a dog).
I will be purchasing a window bag, we need just a little bit more storage room

We have a 2011 t5.1 ocean 4-motion DSG with intermittent as starting problems last few weeks. Currently it’s not starting at all so looking for some advice on how best to diagnose whilst stuck on a campsite next few days.

Symptoms:
-
no cranking at all
- MFD says ESP Fault after a failed attempt
- the P lamp on the DSG gear stick flashes gently after an attempt
- cooling fan runs after 2-3 tries

What I’ve tried so far
-
jump start battery
- disconnected / reconnected starter battery to reboot main computer (seemed to work few weeks ago)
- disconnected all caravan batteries to ensure not trying to dump power into this on start
- turning off ESP
- locking / unlocking the van (coincidence earlier this week?)

Context / weird stuff
- battery is 1 week old and I’m also using a jump battery to rule out (?) this as a cause.
- when I reconnect the starter battery there’s a lot of clicking under the bonnet. Also the turn indicator lights flash slowly several times
- when opening the driver or passenger doors the indicators glow on and off several times

What can I try next to narrow it down? I’ve read a tonne of posts (here and elsewhere) over the last few days which indicate it could be anything from fuel to starter motors to myriad electrical possibilities…

Tomorrow I should have a multimeter turn up and have basic tools with me so up for getting my hands dirty within the context of what’s possible on a campsite!

Have you tried installing a temporary earth from battery to engine/and chassis just to rule this out?

Not yet, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try that today.

Presumably a normal jump start lead connected between the engine or battery and an exposed piece of metal on the chassis is what you had in mind

Not yet, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try that today.

Presumably a normal jump start lead connected between the engine or battery and an exposed piece of metal on the chassis is what you had in mind
Tried a few combinations of using spare jump leads to create a temporary ground between engine battery and chassis but unfortunately still no cranking.

Tried a few combinations of using spare jump leads to create a temporary ground between engine battery and chassis but unfortunately still no cranking.
Not had this on my VW, but the starter motor could be dogged in. This is when the starter initially throws the starter gear into the flywheel. It sticks in this position. Giving the starter a sharp tap on its side allows it to return to its home position and let's it turn over next attemp.

Last edited:
Back