Starting problems.....

Simon Kelly

Simon Kelly

Peebs
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone,

very upset to see my Cali low loaded a couple of days ago with a problem that the RAC mechanic said was a new one on him. (The operate a fleet of T5s which is worrying if he's never seen it before). The symptom was that Peebs (our Cali, DSG model) either didn't start at all (turned over but didn't start up) or started and then immediately stalled. There were no Dashboard lights on. RAC mechanic seemed to think it was perhaps wiring between the control unit beneath the battery and the Dashboard, but said it would be a nightmare to chase down. It's now sitting at the Portsmouth VW dealer and I am worried see are going to have a long absence.

Anyone out there had any experience of this?

Simon

Hi everyone,

very upset to see my Cali low loaded a couple of days ago with a problem that the RAC mechanic said was a new one on him. (The operate a fleet of T5s which is worrying if he's never seen it before). The symptom was that Peebs (our Cali, DSG model) either didn't start at all (turned over but didn't start up) or started and then immediately stalled. There were no Dashboard lights on. RAC mechanic seemed to think it was perhaps wiring between the control unit beneath the battery and the Dashboard, but said it would be a nightmare to chase down. It's now sitting at the Portsmouth VW dealer and I am worried see are going to have a long absence.

Simon
New one on me but could be something to do with immobiliser or key remote battery or footbrake switch. Any fault codes?. How old is remote battery?.

Fuel not electrical is my guess or a combo of both.

Did RAC guy crack open the injector lines to confirm fuel?

It sounds similar to the glow plug issue I had.

No or insufficient pre heating means it won't start or if it does catch it won't quite maintain so it could be the pre heat relay. It's easy to bypass to prove.

Did he try using easy start?

Last edited:
Tried both keys so not immobiliser code on the key (could be the vehicle immobiliser).
No fault code.
Will suggest footbreak and the pre-heat for consideration.
Didn't see him go for easy start, he went straight for electrics.

Hi everyone,

Simon
If this has happened out of the blue / not service related, would suspect immobiliser module, symptoms of failure, ... engine starts then dies each time ignition key is reset and back to crank position, quick ..ish fix if module.

Good luck.

Rob H.

If it turns over but not run , i also think in the direction of the imobeliser...

It could also be fuel pump relay related.
I think this takes an input from the ECU.

Let's face it it could be anything given the complexity of electrical systems.

I'd be suprised if a vehicle would turn over with an imobiliser lockout. ?

Anyway our opinions are academic. It's in the hands of the "experts".

Do let us know the outcome just for giggles.

Had a similar problem on a fabia we once had. The turbo went and the blades blocked the exhaust - hence it would turn over and run then stall or just turn over. Also no error codes - took the garage a while to work it out. Check the exhaust is clear

Well we have Peebs back. The cause was a low battery, which then set off all kinds of other electrical faults. They recharged the battery, checked the charge held over a number of days then released back to us. The mystery is why the battery drained in the first place. It may be a one off or we may have this problem again in the future.......

Well we have Peebs back. The cause was a low battery, which then set off all kinds of other electrical faults. They recharged the battery, checked the charge held over a number of days then released back to us. The mystery is why the battery drained in the first place. It may be a one off or we may have this problem again in the future.......

Take no risk .....Change the battery with a new one...

Doesn't say much for the RAC guy then!!

How old is the vehicle/engine battery.
With the cold weather almost upon us an old battery could become problematic.

Back