Staying cool......?

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Already thinking of warmer days and nights, even hot ones!! But how to stay cool at night?
I have looked at various threads (quite old now) and most point to the AirSafe from Brandrup as a way of keeping cool. I can see this could be a solution if there is a breeze, but if not what then? And on the rare occasions your in midge territory and its hot, what then as the blighters can get through the roof window mesh.

I have been looking at fans and am thinking that the USB type or even a low wattage one for the inverter socket would be the answer. Any thoughts/ideas? What do folks do in these situations?

Cheers for any help. JW

We tend to move the topper to the drive away awning and sleep in there. More airflow and lots more room!

Spot selection is also key. West-facing and/or shaded important.

I went to the Dordogne last summer mid to high 30's every day. I like the heat but found it a bit much in the day. That's with the van parked in the shade most of the day. Make sure you are close to the pool or some air con I would say! The nights were not too bad as it cooled down. Mind you I am not so somewhere like Spain would be the same. My holidays there have left me thinking air con is essential ( although I do think that makes me a bit of a blouse as the locals manage) I tried a fan but that just felt like a hairdryer. As for the small units blowing air over wet cotton wool I'm not sure how good they would be. I suspect the same as spraying mist in front of a fan. Too much money in my humble opinion !

Isn't an advantage of a camper the mobility it offers? During the searing hot times, head further north or higher. Visit the notoriously hot places in June or September?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't an advantage of a camper the mobility it offers? During the searing hot times, head further north or higher. Visit the notoriously hot places in June or September?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like simple is best! Always works. Basics are always a good start. Thanks BC.

Hi JW, we ventured down to Lake Annecy last July, 35C some days but the van cooled off considerably at night. We just slept with a cotton sheet over us and had a 6" clip on fan plugged in creating a gentle breeze. We also had a Reimo window grille fitted and can recommend them. Fits easily, well made, secure, weatherproof etc and allowed airflow whilst keeping the Cali secure and dry ( there was the odd huge downpour).
IMG_6659.jpg
Not pretty or cheap but certainly fit for purpose. Stored flat under the rear mattress when removed.

Hi JW, we ventured down to Lake Annecy last July, 35C some days but the van cooled off considerably at night. We just slept with a cotton sheet over us and had a 6" clip on fan plugged in creating a gentle breeze. We also had a Reimo window grille fitted and can recommend them. Fits easily, well made, secure, weatherproof etc and allowed airflow whilst keeping the Cali secure and dry ( there was the odd huge downpour).
View attachment 19002
Not pretty or cheap but certainly fit for purpose. Stored flat under the rear mattress when removed.
Looks like a good option. Thanks. (not worried about the looks!)

We tend to move the topper to the drive away awning and sleep in there. More airflow and lots more room!

Spot selection is also key. West-facing and/or shaded important.
Good tips, thank you. JW

Already thinking of warmer days and nights, even hot ones!! But how to stay cool at night?
I have looked at various threads (quite old now) and most point to the AirSafe from Brandrup as a way of keeping cool. I can see this could be a solution if there is a breeze, but if not what then? And on the rare occasions your in midge territory and its hot, what then as the blighters can get through the roof window mesh.

I have been looking at fans and am thinking that the USB type or even a low wattage one for the inverter socket would be the answer. Any thoughts/ideas? What do folks do in these situations?

Cheers for any help. JW

Hi, there has been quite a lot on midge protection on this forum, just search midge or mozzie, here is one of my old posts.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/scottish-trip-in-june.7000/#post-65565

We used our van a lot in the med in 2015, slept up top with all roof mesh vents open with no problems, had considered a little plug in air con unit but found we did not need one.

Larrylamb's window grill does look good, not sure if it has insect protection. We normally just leave the sliding windows open with the mesh screens but that risks water ingress if you get heavy rain in the night.

Hi, there has been quite a lot on midge protection on this forum, just search midge or mozzie, here is one of my old posts.

We used our van a lot in the med in 2015, slept up top with all roof mesh vents open with no problems, had considered a little plug in air con unit but found we did not need one.

Larrylamb's window grill does look good, not sure if it has insect protection. We normally just leave the sliding windows open with the mesh screens but that risks water ingress if you get heavy rain in the night.
Excellent! Thank you.

Thanks for the tips - I can remember camping in an old Bedford Dormobile in the Scottish highlands some time ago (!) and the midges got in everywhere - door seals, heater elements etc until we were convinced they had taken up permanent residence. Scotland is high on my list of places to go but do fear these little blighters, so thanks again.

I use these, now available in Forum shop.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-t5t6-ventilation-cabin-windows-pair

And a 50 watt mains clip on fan together with a plug-in Insect repeller thingy, that uses the Inverter socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WZO0EA/?tag=eliteelect-21
Just been furkling about in the shed and found a mozzie vape thingy rated at 10 watts so should be great for the inverter - continental plug too! A mains fan? Yep, think I will get one of those - I do like some air circulation even if its forced.

Back