Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steamed up indicator repeaters

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Has anyone else got steamed up repeaters? Ours are looking a bit soggy and I was wondering what to do about it.

I asked a guy at our local VW dealer, only to be fobbed off with the usual "they all do that" excuse and a suggestion of blowing them with a hair dryer. Has anyone else replaced the lights and did the issue return?

We've had this on loads of our vans ( we run a fleet of 40 pls T5's of many variants). They will replace them under warranty. Or if out of warranty they are an inexpensive fix. I wouldn't bother trying to dry them out, as with time they will only do it again.

Our Cali (2012) had the off side "steamed up" when we got it home due to the distance back to dealer popped it out and drying it off indoors on a radiator, soon steamed up again popped into local van centre who changed it. As said above cheap item, but replaced under warranty. No further issue 2 1/2 years latter.

I think this is related to steam cleaning.
Both sides were steamed up when we got our van and I replaced them, £5.00 each I seem to recall.
Hand washed since then and not had the problem reoccur.

Alan

Great, thanks for all the responses! I'll see about getting new ones. We are out of warranty, so might try to fit myself if it isn't too tricky.

It is dead easy. You can do it with your finger or a plastic lever. Don't use a screwdriver as you may chip the paint.

The lens is hooked in at one end by plastic lugs and on the other with a metal spring clip.
Gently prise the end with the clip away from the body and pull the bulb holder out from the back of the lens.

Reverse the process to refit.

Alan

Back