Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering column issues

It is a well known issue with ALL RHD T5.

I would expect a lot more posts eg: as many as the Roof Corrosion problem or more, if ALL RHD T5's were affected. Also a VW Recall, but I gather it is a warranty repair for those affected rather than a mass recall so probably restricted in numbers.
Something to bear in mind though.

It went in the garage twice before anything was done on the third time...they knew about the 'knocking' but up until this time they didn't have a 'fix'. The garage said this time that they had just recently issued the replacement upper steering column. I suppose if you don't notice it and report it, they wouldn't bother telling you about it...would cost them more money.

It is not a recall as it is not a safety issue.

VW in their wisdom used a square box section for the sliding joint in the RHD steering column rather than a circular design more widely used.

The sliding joint occasionally sticks due to pressure in one of the corners which is felt through the wheel. The circular design doesn't have a corner to stick...

I don't know if anyone knows but VW have issued a replacement steering column to fix the 'knocking'. We have had ours done today...they have replaced the upper part of the steering column

Hi Sue,

Is this the same fix as was mentioned in a thread from last year by "Hutch?" (I think you may have contributed to the original thread).

I remember reading across Cali's, T5's etc that there was a knocking on RHD vehicles, do we believe this is now fixed in the remedial work you had? (I seem to recall a lot of owners suffering from the knocking).

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-modified-steering-column.8125/

We've only just had it done (yesterday) but haven't been anywhere to tell if the problems fixed or not...hopefully it is

I would expect a lot more posts eg: as many as the Roof Corrosion problem or more, if ALL RHD T5's were affected.

There's a 69 page thread on the T5 forums about it. In my experience it is intermittent, and exacerbated by moisture and lack of use. I'd almost forgotten about it until I stayed put for a week in a soggy Cornish campsite in August, and it was immediately apparent when I drove off at the end of the week.

Thanks. I'll be OK then as we're averaging 2000 miles a month.;)

I had it on my 2011 transporter and reported to my dealer when in for a service a couple of years ago. They said there was no fix available at that time so nothing was done. Don't suppose there'd be any chance of them doing it now as it's out of warranty?
Might give them a ring tomorrow about it and my egr valve failure while I'm at it.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Good news on the steering column, Carrs Exeter had the details of my fault logged on their system and after making a quick call to VWCS they've agreed to replace the column with the new one FOC despite being a year out of warranty.

Back