Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage bin ( overhead )

Paul Barnes

Paul Barnes

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, does anybody have any ideas on how to stop the overhead storage bin constantly dropping down when driving. I have tried adjusting the striker and even tying with fishing line whilst away on holiday. Are the locks prone to wear and warrant replacing. Thanks in advance.

It's a tricksy beast that one. Has it clicked shut properly when closed? Sometimes needs a bit of a push.

It's a tricksy beast that one. Has it clicked shut properly when closed? Sometimes needs a bit of a push.
Yes, part of the problem is that we live on a hill and most of the roads are limestone inlaid sets, so every bump encountered means the overhead box slides open.
Has anyone replaced/renewed parts on these to your knowledge

?

I find it difficult to close properly and because of the two-directional pressure needed to be applied to open or close difficult to check if fully closed.

Mine sometimes opens but I have presumed it is because it is not closed properly in the first place. I do put a lot of weight in it, (it is my library) but most times having ensured it is closed it does not then open.

I do put a lot of weight in it, (it is my library)
Beware of overloading. We also used it as our (heavy) library and eventually the bin fell down because it had become detached from the toothed hinge on the left hand side. The garage had to fit a new hinge mechanism because something had broken.

Somebody told me there is a 5kg limit for that cupboard, which seems ridiculously low.

Beware of overloading. We also used it as our (heavy) library and eventually the bin fell down because it had become detached from the toothed hinge on the left hand side. The garage had to fit a new hinge mechanism because something had broken.

Somebody told me there is a 5kg limit for that cupboard, which seems ridiculously low.

Goodness, thank you for that warning!

A couple of history books, a couple of guides to aires and campsites and my make-up bag and it's overloaded :shocked

The books will just have to go!

I have found if the stress is taken up by supporting the weight underneath and adopting granny Jens method of the two-directional action simultaneously when opening or closing it works a lot easier
Also I make sure the catch inside isn't obstructed

Alan

We had ours rebuilt whilst still under warranty - no probs since (c3 years ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness, thank you for that warning!

A couple of history books, a couple of guides to aires and campsites and my make-up bag and it's overloaded :shocked

The books will just have to go!
I don't think you need THAT much makeup. :shocked :mute

I don't think you need THAT much makeup. :shocked :mute

I don't need that much make-up but 5kg is just too small a weight allowance to even share with the caravan club magazine !

Everything must go!

there is a 5kg limit for that cupboard
Sorry, I was totally wrong about the 5kg weight limit...

I've just checked the California Supplement of the owner's manual which states on page 30:

"The stowage compartment in the roof has a maximum capacity of 2.5kg"
:eek::eek: !!!!

We keep towels in there and some books...

But back on topic , the fact it falls open ....

Have you checked if the whole system is still good tightend?
Driving over bumps causing the whole unit to move a bit and therefore the catch comming loose by itself..
Can you follow my toughts?
As the OP says they drive over bumpy roads to theire house , the verhicle is well shaked and some bolts could come loose...

I realise I am not typical, travelling on my own just with two dogs. However I use the overhead locker for bedding. Then heavier things go in the drawer under the rear bench seat. Bedding and pillow for one fits easily overhead, but I should think there would be enough room for two sets.

We have found that over many miles on rough roads and if the catch is not adjusted correctly it can wear out. Also found there is no easy repair to the catch and a new draw is some £500!

We originally used it as a library until reading about the paltry 2.5kg limit. Now it holds just our wash stuff and microfibres towels.

OK, have finally sorted my overhead storage box problem from dropping every time I drive. I realise that my Cali is 10 years old this coming week, so things are expected to wear out. What I have done is raise the electric roof, to gain access to the catch and two screws that are fixed inside the storage box roof,unscrew both screws enough to allow a packing piece in to the gap. Nip up the screws and what you are doing is dropping the catch two - three millimetres ( with the packer in place) allowing the latch to fully locate enough to stop any free play. I can now fully use the storage box over most road surfaces.

OK, have finally sorted my overhead storage box problem from dropping every time I drive. I realise that my Cali is 10 years old this coming week, so things are expected to wear out. What I have done is raise the electric roof, to gain access to the catch and two screws that are fixed inside the storage box roof,unscrew both screws enough to allow a packing piece in to the gap. Nip up the screws and what you are doing is dropping the catch two - three millimetres ( with the packer in place) allowing the latch to fully locate enough to stop any free play. I can now fully use the storage box over most road surfaces.

£500.00 saved

Hi, our bin appears to have detached itself from the toothed hinge on one side only. I have managed to retrieve a small wheel/disc with a central screw which has fallen down into the space within the facia trim which I think the lower end of the hinge is attached to, but I don't think I can get into the space to either see or re-screw the thing together, assuming that is what is required.

We are aware of the 2.5kg weight load and really only store our toilet bags in it, although as everyone remarks, it has never been an easy matter to open and close... requires a special two handed technique. We are still under warranty (just!) so intend taking into VW Van Centre Edinburgh but wondered if anyone else has had similar problem? With care, I can still push up and close the bin and it remains fully locked.

Hi RonB,
Just looked at my storage box and it looks like your prob is a removal job to locate missing screws. Not sure how fiddly it is to reposition and looks like you need a pair of hands to support box while you are replacing screws. Good luck

Will definitely check with garage before trying to fix myself, hopefully will be a warranty repair.

Thanks

Will definitely check with garage before trying to fix myself, hopefully will be a warranty repair.

Thanks
Insist it's a warranty repair, and hopefully you'll get a new one (as VW don't 'fix' anything apart from their emissions). Perhaps a newer one will be improved design.

Agree with T4WFA - if you scroll back on this thread you'll see that's what we did successfully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your advice, will let you know outcome.

Cheers

Back