Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storing cable(s) in the engine compartment

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I have just noticed that one of the members stores hook up cables in the engine compartment (see attached image). Silly question, but I am guessing that there is no issue with doing this or things that I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3197.jpg

I keep startkabels , a small comressor in there in a plastic bag.
If you ask VW it will probally be not ok as there need to be space arround the battery , also the risk of a short circuit if the poles are not decent covert.
But i regular check underneeth the bonnet and so far no issues

I have a 1L spare oil to top up, and 1L of screen wash :)

I have a cover over the battery on my van so keeping anything in there that is in regular use is not an option.

However, I did store a set of jump cables I had acquired in the space behind the headlight, until I had to use them. Then realised they were not up to current draw needed to start a diesel engine.

I wouldn't put anything on the top of the battery though. The vents at the side may become obstructed and there is the possibility of a short across the terminals if there is any metal sliding about.

Alan

The first picture here is mine. There are jumpstarters underneath, 20m of cable, adaptors, the compressor, ... I'm driving with it daily, of which quite some 150-200km trips each week. And till now no flames coming out of the hood. ;) There's no chance of metal sliding about the way this space is packed.
I did remove the oil bottle and the plastic bag where the cables used to be in, out of fear of melting.

Last edited:
Making use of that space under the bonnet seems like a great idea, but I seem to recall that the number of times the bonnet is opened affects the service interval. If you were to regularly access items stored under the bonnet does anyone know what impact it would have on the service schedule?

Making use of that space under the bonnet seems like a great idea, but I seem to recall that the number of times the bonnet is opened affects the service interval. If you were to regularly access items stored under the bonnet does anyone know what impact it would have on the service schedule?
Sounds interesting! So, if you are someone who does regular under bonnet checks the more frequent you end up having an oil change. Think @GrannyJen has the answer, leave well alone!

That i find hard to belive true....

That surely has to be up there with the flat earth theory

I know VW are a controlling bunch, but I don't think even they would stoop that low!

Alan

Yes, I quite agree it sounds crazy (but probably no worse than filling the adblue tank to the top then having to take your van to a dealer for repair). My question was prompted by a schematic diagram posted on this forum during a discussion on VW’s confusing service schedules. Obviously now I’m looking for the diagram I can’t find it!!! It may have been posted by VW Guru as part of his excellent explanation on the variable service interval. The diagram showed all the sensor inputs which are used to calculate the time to next oil change. I was trying to understand the logic of using the bonnet opening switch- maybe it could extend the oil change as it could indicate the owner is checking fluid levels regularly?
Anyway if anyone can find the diagram it would be appreciated to confirm I haven’t gone mad....

When serving my army duty here in Belgium and Gemany we needed to check the oil before taking off with the old MAN trucks....now i know why we needed to change oil every 5000km back then.....we opend the bonnet each day....:headbang

When serving my army duty here in Belgium and Gemany we needed to check the oil before taking off with the old MAN trucks....now i know why we needed to change oil every 5000km back then.....we opend the bonnet each day....:headbang

Yes, that was known in British Army as "first parade" checks. A checklist of about 12 things on every vehicle, every day. Mind you, with British trucks from AEC, Bedford, Antar and Alvis, you had to top up the oil every morning because most of it would have leaked out overnight. :veryfunny

Now that clears something up.

Last year on hols I got a “check oil level” error up on the dash. All was fine so I dropped a quick text to my man back home.
He came back saying it’s usually either a faulty sump sensor or the bonnet catch switch.

At the time I couldn’t understand the electrical link between the two seemingly unrelated sensors. Now I know.

It does seem strange though, what if you simply get through a lot of screen wash, hardly grounds for altering the service interval.

Well I check under the bonnet on a regular basis and have the vehicle serviced annually with about 20,000 miles between services. Last service, after some 19,5000 miles the MFD showed 6,000 + miles to next Oil Service.

diagram above shows the components of the "model" the onboard computer uses to determine service interval -- but does anyone know how these components actually contribute (i.e. the maths or underlying code)? top secret I bet.....

It all makes sense, all of the inputs just generate a profile of how hard/gently the vehicle has been driven, engine speed, brakes etc.
The bonnet input I don’t understand, there are many reasons to pop the bonnet. I’m sure there is a logic there somewhere.

.....have you noticed how I’ve managed to avoid a rant about storing stuff in the engine bay?

It’s just wrong. Stop it.

Well I check under the bonnet on a regular basis and have the vehicle serviced annually with about 20,000 miles between services. Last service, after some 19,5000 miles the MFD showed 6,000 + miles to next Oil Service.
Perhaps the bonnet sensor works on time left open when the ignition is on rather than a bonnet opening count. If, for example, you drive for a period of time with the bonnet sensor showing open, the computer assumes a fault and directs the driver for a service. Closing the bonnet or fixing the bonnet sensor would clear the service indicator.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Maybe you are all trying to make life in a Cali too complicated. I figured the bonnet sensor is just to let the driver know the bonnet was open! See photo. Or maybe I am just a simple soul or it is indeed April. Must check my calendar!
upload_2019-1-28_13-14-21.png

Back