Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storing cable(s) in the engine compartment

I think opening and closing the bonnet (switch) assumes you have checked/filled the oil level and resets the check oil light.

i keep my adblue funnel, ehu cables and spare bottle of engine oil in the engine storage compartment - very handy.

Maybe you are all trying to make life in a Cali too complicated. I figured the bonnet sensor is just to let the driver know the bonnet was open! See photo. Or maybe I am just a simple soul or it is indeed April. Must check my calendar!
View attachment 41026

I wondered the same too but discounted that as all doors have the same sensor but are not on the diagram.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I wondered the same too but discounted that as all doors have the same sensor but are not on the diagram.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Tom, your point is a valid one but I wonder if the whole chart is complete anyway. I would have thought that an average ambient temp might have a bearing on service intervals but this is not mentioned. Also the chart is described as a "....a simplified form" so personally I wouldn't bear too much reliance on it.

I always check the oil before starting engine or switching ignition on. Wonder if it still picks it up.

Just been doing some research and managed to track down the original VW study document from which the diagram was taken- see link below:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_224.pdf

On page 22 there is an explanation of the function of the bonnet contact. Top marks go to larrylamb as he appears to be correct that the bonnet contact is used to reset the “check oil level” warning. There is no mention of the bonnet contact affecting the service interval, so it looks like we can all store our hook-up cables under the bonnet after all.

DD9DC661-AC87-40C3-A546-0414554A1FB7.jpeg

Ah yes, obvious really. This also ties up with what I was told ie if you have an oil warning up then it will go away once the bonnet opens but only for 100km if the oil level is still unchanged.

A bit crude in my opinion.

Ah yes, obvious really. This also ties up with what I was told ie if you have an oil warning up then it will go away once the bonnet opens but only for 100km if the oil level is still unchanged.

A bit crude in my opinion.

At least now I know an easy way to make that pesky yellow watering can light go off.
:rolleyes:

At least now I know an easy way to make that pesky yellow watering can light go off.
:rolleyes:

Well it's cheaper to open and close the bonnet every 100km than buying more oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well it's cheaper to open and close the bonnet every 100km than buying more oil.

Don’t say that, someone will do just that.:(;)

I see this as an advantage for the customer.
It's cheaper to top the oil yourself and reset (automatic) the warning light with the bonnet sensor.
Otherwise you have to go to the VW workshop to reset the oil level warning light
after you topped up the oil level.

I think opening and closing the bonnet (switch) assumes you have checked/filled the oil level and resets the check oil light.
So I check/refill the screen wash battle and the oil check light resets itself? Surely not. That seems bonkers to me. (But then so do a lot of other things! ;))

So I check/refill the screen wash battle and the oil check light resets itself? Surely not. That seems bonkers to me. (But then so do a lot of other things! ;))
........and 100 km later the oil check light is there again.....

........and 100 km later the oil check light is there again.....

Having owned numerous 1960s and 70s British-built cars, I'm quite used to various warning lights coming on every 100km. (But usually the tinkle of main bearings disintegrating came before that.)

Having owned numerous 1960s and 70s British-built cars, I'm quite used to various warning lights coming on every 100km. (But usually the tinkle of main bearings disintegrating came before that.)

Yes, I agree. Not to speek of the oil leeks.....
But if the oil warning light came on there was already damage
because it was a pressure warning and not a level warning
like in our VW's.

I have started storing engine oil and a small air compressor and washer fluid next to my battery.

Does anyone consider this unsafe, ie the oil aspect?

Thank you.

IMG_20190324_151315.jpg

Why carry engine oil...?
Surely you check oil regularly? Therefore you don’t need to carry it around.
If the van losses a lot of oil, all of a sudden. You have bigger worries than topping up the oil...????

Why carry engine oil...?
Surely you check oil regularly? Therefore you don’t need to carry it around.
If the van losses a lot of oil, all of a sudden. You have bigger worries than topping up the oil...????
You haven't seen my Garage. The kids, Kids they're all over 30, always have a look in the garage when visiting, so some things stay under Lock and Key so they don't mysteriously disappear or get borrowed without asking. Only old, odd tools live in the Garage and Oil Dregs etc: Been caught out too often.
I'm sure I had a 10mm socket. Hours of looking, phone last son to visit, ah yes was bringing it back next week.:headbang:headbang

Does anyone consider this unsafe, ie the oil aspect?
I always carry a litre around. Mine has got a cover over the
compartment so 1 is all i can get in.
Its handy for if it ever needs a drop and i buy it online, castrol 10€
delivered.
I find storing it in there is better than being shafted at the services :)

I carry bugger all in the engine compartment.

In fact it's a no-go zone for me.

Full of moving bits I have no idea do what, occasionally a yellow light comes on with someone pissing in the sky (told it has something to do with washer levels) but what are SMG Cowfold there for? I have a light! sort it folks!

Can’t you lot just get Volkswagen to top up your oil every 12 months, like us normal people do...:)

Back