#STORM Brian

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So anyone braved the storm and camped out through Storm Brian...?

No, but I walked to the beach to take some dramatic pictures and had a dramatic walk along the greensward running alongside. My dogs enjoyed it at least, and as for drama, I've seen bigger seas with a lot less wind.,

Jen, Sea Road in Rustington was full of stones earlier where the waves were coming onto the road. It wasn't fun driving along getting hit by the waves. (luckily in my wifes car !)

Jen, Sea Road in Rustington was full of stones earlier where the waves were coming onto the road. It wasn't fun driving along getting hit by the waves. (luckily in my wifes car !)

I went along past Ferring to the Goring "stony bank" and the pebbles were flying up there, too hazardous to run or walk but at least the road is well away. I can imagine Rustington though, the road is right against the shingle. I thought the seas though were less than they were last April when we had strong winds but no named storms.

Anyway, glad you posted, I must give you a call. Been a bit distracted with some fairly difficult family issues recently, thankfully now part way out of the tunnel.

We would have taken a trip down to the coast today, but our van is in the garage getting the roof sorted.
I know it’s probably not that sensible, but storms and natural phenomenon events stir my curiosity.

We would have taken a trip down to the coast today, but our van is in the garage getting the roof sorted.
I know it’s probably not that sensible, but storms and natural phenomenon events stir my curiosity.

Me too.

When I was researching the emigrant trails and criss crossing the midwest USA I almost became a storm chaser.

Climbing mountains it was the power and strength of nature that attracted me. My toes used to curl when people talked about "Conquering" a mountain. No one does that. Nature just lets you off for the time being.

When I was researching the emigrant trails and criss crossing the midwest USA I almost became a storm chaser.

A bit guilty of that myself. I work in disasters so have seen a lot of aftermaths of 'weather events' round the world. Most recently in Dominica a few weeks ago, where I chatted to an American expat about his experience of surviving cat 5 Maria, which dismembered his house around him, wall by wall, until there was little left than the floor slab. And he found a kitchen knife stuck in the back of what was left of one of his chairs.

So I must admit I do find the physical power of nature mesmerising, even while trying to keep the human impacts top of mind. Twice I've been tasked to be 'pre-positioned' in readiness for the arrival of hurricanes, but both times for logistics reasons I've been too late for the actual storm. I have to fess to being a tad disappointed (even though I'd have been in pretty safe shelters while they passed through, although maybe without Richard Branson's wine cellar). As one resident of the Philippines said after Typhoon Haiyan, a few years back: "It was like the wind was ripping your eyeballs out".

I'm not religious but seeing the elemental power of wind and waves puts a lot of stuff into perspective I think. So I do get why daft buggers go and stand on sea walls during storms.

There are some very interesting people on this site. (-:

I lived in a place that flooded frequently as as kid, loved watching the power of nature.

Yes we did.
Camped at Gibraltar Farm at Silverdale on Morecambe Bay.
Annual trip for us and a bunch of friends for the beer festival.
No way was a bit if wind and rain stopping that.
Roof down, van rocking and we got soaked coming back from the pub. All in a days camping.
Some great rainbows though when the sun popped out.
IMG_20171021_103853287.jpg

Yes we camped in Beddgelert over the weekend, we didn't chance putting the roof up.Walking halfway up the Watkins path on saturday afternoon during storm Brian was an experience!

So I must admit I do find the physical power of nature mesmerising, even while trying to keep the human impacts top of mind. Twice I've been tasked to be 'pre-positioned' in readiness for the arrival of hurricanes, but both times for logistics reasons I've been too late for the actual storm. I have to fess to being a tad disappointed (even though I'd have been in pretty safe shelters while they passed through, although maybe without Richard Branson's wine cellar). As one resident of the Philippines said after Typhoon Haiyan, a few years back: "It was like the wind was ripping your eyeballs out".

I'm not religious but seeing the elemental power of wind and waves puts a lot of stuff into perspective I think. So I do get why daft buggers go and stand on sea walls during storms.

I was in a store cupboard once when a tornado hit :shocked

I was driving from Richmond Va to Florence SC, well, as far as I could get anyway as it was a rough old morning. Abut 11am the weather coordination signal interrupted the radio, the countdown beeps, then the announcement of a tornado warning for the North Carolina area west of Greenville.

Well, Greenville is a long way East of I95, but I needed fuel so pulled off just as a touch down was reported east of Wilson. Filling up I was amazed how empty it was. Walked in to the shop to pay and no one there. Then I looked at the sign .... "Welcome to Wilson NC...... just as an arm appeared and dragged me into the safe room. It went straight through the forecourt removing everything.

It was entertaining filling out the damage report for the hire car :D

Storm Brian was absolutely excellent for me.
We were camping on my daughters smallholding Friday/Saturday. Very windy driving back to South Wales and expected to see the lawn buried under a mound of leaves from the trees in the local school grounds.
But Brian’s winds were the right way. All the leaves on the school trees are on their land + this year they’ve got all mine as well. Lawns completely clear.:D

Who names these storms?

Storm Brian congers up a vision of light rustling of the leaves accompanied by the faint whiff of pipe tobacco.

If we are going to have a good storm how about giving it a decent name to send meteorological shivers through the whole Nation. Storm Boss, Basher, Bruiser, Butcher, Balthazar, Baddie or even Boris, anything but not Brian. :thumb

Last edited:
I would prefer storm Bachus so I could sit there with the comfort of a glass of something whilst the heavens raged around me..

It would be very helpful if the next one was storm Cabernet or similar,

Who names these storms?

Storm Brian congers up a vision of light rustling in the leaves accompanied by the faint wiff of pipe tobacco.

If we are going to have a good storm how about giving it a decent name to send meteorological shivers through the whole Nation. Storm Boss, Basher, Bruiser, Butcher, Balthazar, Baddie or even Boris, anything but not Brian. :thumb

I agree. The name Brian for me always conjures up thoughts of Monty Python, as in The Life of Brian.

We camped in Chertsey on the Thursday night which was very sheltered. Then Sandwich on the Saturday night. It was windy all day on Friday & Saturday in Kent, where were were, but miraculously it stopped overnight so we could have the roof up. St Margret's Bay was exciting as was the view of Dover Harbour from the top of the cliffs.
P1050156.JPG P1050159.JPG P1050165.JPG

We arrived a Brighton C&MC site late Saturday morning - the wardens were booking people in early so we could get pitched before the worst of the storm. We found a lovely sheltered pitch and sat inside until the torential rain and thunder passed and then walked own to the Marina to see the huge waves and brave the wind!

If we get to Winifred then I'm on my toes to somewhere warmer and less windy :shocked

In 2015 2016 we got as far as Katie. Last winter we only got to Ewan.

Future storm names for the 2017/18 season.

There was a big flurry of news reports three ago that claimed that female-named storms (we're talking about Atlantic hurricanes here) tend to be more deadly than those with male names. It was theorised that people take the 'female' storms less seriously when deciding if to take shelter.

The assertions were later challenged by academics on grounds of statistically questionable analysis of a selectively questionable dataset. But it was too late and the 'female storms are deadlier' myth (which it almost certainly is) has passed into disaster folklore.

Anyway, why not have some gender-neutral names, we're well into the 21st Century now... :thumb

Our overnight ferry from Liverpool to Dublin was cancelled Saturday due to storm Brian
We sailed on Sunday and it was very choppy going
But we survived and camping on the outskirts of Dublin
Dave and Lisa

9A2ADDF8-1B65-46CB-AFB2-DEF52ADD95D8.jpeg Yes I went to the far end of Cornwall, Porthleven, arrived at 2am, tried to sleep in the van ☹️ it felt like i was on an Easy Jet economy flight, I honestly thought the van was going to take off and i was sheltered by another van! Scary but the van kept me safe and when the sun rose it was amazing to sea how much power the storm and the sea had

View attachment 27081 Yes I went to the far end of Cornwall, Porthleven, arrived at 2am, tried to sleep in the van ☹️ it felt like i was on an Easy Jet economy flight, I honestly thought the van was going to take off and i was sheltered by another van! Scary but the van kept me safe and when the sun rose it was amazing to sea how much power the storm and the sea had

Great pic :thumb
Some great video footage of Leven too on one of the surf sites