Storm Porch

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
There are only the 2 of us using " The Van " now that the children are all sorted. However during the "wet" months of the year ( in the UK about 12 of them ) we miss having some form of Porch especially for the winter months where rain and high winds preclude use of the Sun Awning, which isn't really designed for that sort of weather.
What we really wanted was a simple room outside the side door where you could take off and shake your wet weather gear etc: before stepping into the vehicle.
So this is my version of a simple/cheap porch that does the job and if it should get damaged won't cost a fortune to replace or repair.

1 x 2.4m x 3m Tarpaulin with eyelets. £40 delivered from eBay. I went for the glass clear type but coloured ones are cheaper.
2 x 1.8m sectional awning poles from Amazon. complete with guys and pegs.
10m of 10mm Bungee cord from eBay £ 9.50 delivered.

The Tarpaulin is connected to the van with Bungee cord. The posts use the eylets at the 2m point and Bungee cord guys at the corner eylets help to tension the whole arrangement.
With the poles at 1.8m you get a natural slope to the whole assembly.
The following photos show the setup, but I gave up hammering the pegs into the concrete slab driveway. :laugh2 :laugh2

You could do this for £40 or less depending on the tarpaulin you use. No leaks over sliding door as the tarpaulin goes over the top of the fixed awning cassette.

Everything folds up and fits inside one of the chairs in the rear door.
Could even be " Driveaway " left on-site when you use the van to save putting away each time when on -site for a few days. Popaloo toilet tent placed at the rear means you could pop out under cover.

VW Awning 5.jpg VW Awning 3.jpg VW Awning 1.jpg

Why not wind your existing awning out.
Put your bungee across the folding arms 1/2 way out to avoid any rain sag.
Adjust the poles to give the slope.
Peg down with the guy ropes or use the holes in the feet of the poles.
No wet tarp to fold up and store.
:thumb

also never had a problem with fiamma awnings as rain protection... should i be worried of impending disaster?

snowy55 said:
Why not wind your existing awning out.
Put your bungee across the folding arms 1/2 way out to avoid any rain sag.
Adjust the poles to give the slope.
Peg down with the guy ropes or use the holes in the feet of the poles.
No wet tarp to fold up and store.
:thumb

We do pretty much the same, without the use of the bungee (But may now give it a try).

As long as you have enough of a slope, won't have an issue with pooling.

Used it over many years now in torrential rain, never had an issue. We had custom side panels made up too and use it as a room. (There's also a couple of front panels we can use if needed)

image.php

Rgds

Mark

I agree snowy. I could, but the whole idea of this is as a " Storm Porch ". If it gets ripped to shreds I've lost £40. How much to replace/repair the Full Awning.
Last week in Bath the rain was torrential with winds of 50 + mph, although we were sheltered. This served it's purpose and if damaged so what, Whereas the Full awning would probably have been a lot more if damaged.

Also very easy to setup by 1 person.
During winter it goes in a waterproof bag and I don't bother drying it until it gets warmer.
From what I have read the full awning should be dried out ASAP if used in the rain to avoid mold etc. A cheap tarpaulin can be replaced and if you are happy with an opaque tarpaulin material it will only cost about £20.

Each to his own.

Storm Porch MK 2, courtesy of Nick at Comfortz.

So the MK 1 version used a cheap tarpaulin, but the eyelets failed as the plastic stretched. Principle was OK, just the tarpaulin and it was the only one I could find of the size required. At COTF I had a chat with Nick from Comfortz who has come up with a lighter, waterproof and suitably reinforced awning of the correct size, 2.5m x 4m. Here are some photos of it erected on our local common.Storm Porch1 (1 of 5).jpgStorm Porch2 (2 of 5).jpgStorm Porch3 (3 of 5).jpgStorm Porch4 (4 of 5).jpgStorm Porch5 (5 of 5).jpg

Ok if you got no awning , but if you have a awning like yours is'nt it much easyer to roll it out and have just the extra sunblocker ( or whats it called ) ? It does the same ...no?
But nevertheless a good job...

I camp in winter, wind rain or shine. This setup costs £90 the main awning £450. In severe weather conditions, an awning is useful and if it got damaged then I know which one I would prefer to replace/repair.
Also, if the weather got really severe then I can unclip the awning from the California awning cassette in 30 secs and the whole lot is flat on the floor. I don't think I could wind in the California awning in less than 5 to 10 minutes.

I camp in winter, wind rain or shine. This setup costs £90 the main awning £450. In severe weather conditions, an awning is useful and if it got damaged then I know which one I would prefer to replace/repair.
Also, if the weather got really severe then I can unclip the awning from the California awning cassette in 30 secs and the whole lot is flat on the floor. I don't think I could wind in the California awning in less than 5 to 10 minutes.

Got a point there....:thumb

Save the £90, get a weather forecast app and some practice rolling in the awning....

We might get a drive away awning, and a double camp bed to save putting the roof up if it's raining....... ;-)

Sorry, that is the last thing we want. But when it is unwise to wind out the expensive awning then the cheap, simple storm porch allows us to leave our wet coats and wellies outside under cover.
And do you really have such faith in those weather apps. I've yet to find one that is that accurate.

I'm more worried about the damage the (any!) awning could do to the van if the wind really got up. There is a good supply of spare parts for the awnings at a very modest cost vs. the cost of paint / panel / glass repairs to a Cali..

Oh go on, live dangerously.
If the standard awning got blown over onto the vehicle then I don't think your supply of spare parts at a modest cost are going to be much use. Just a new, complete awning + damage to vehicle.
My storm porch however, if it lifts up then the poles will fall down and as only 6' long but placed 8 ' from vehicle unlikely to hit vehicle. 8mm elasticated cord. Will keep awning attached to vehicle and the Rock Pegs I use until I take it down.
I have been using a similar system on my Defender for some years without any problem, but then it didn't have a £400+ wind out awning that cannot safely be used in severe weather.

Like the idea,understand the reason why.
Will put my two pence worth in regarding the awning and foul weather.I use my van for most of the Scottish winter season, taking clients in the hills ect.

I sometimes don't have the luxury of returning to the cali every night but i need the awning and side panels set up for when i return with clients to give them there cup of tea and biscuits!!

A bombproof way of ensuring the awning does not blow off,damage the cali,bend or anything else that can happen is to tie down securely with large metal pegs in the ground.

I do this by using three guidelines on the side panels,spaced evenly and three on the front.I secure the footings on the awning again with pegs in the ground.
It takes about half hour to do correctly,but then it is bombproof.The roof I have two large rigid plastic square sheets that i put up there to stop the snow/rain drooping the awning.
It has survived 50mph gusts with no adverse effects,i have had three foot of snow on return and no problems.

I will post pics next winter when i take them.

Of course if its not needed,roll the awning away....

I can see the tarp been great for summer days lots of breeze to come thru and not as dark as when the awning is up.

Decathalon have a tarp for sale at 19.99 present, we used one, comes with 2 poles and pegs, worked well for us at the weekend. We haven't looked at how to connect it to the van yet though.

You could get a Kador strip, sew it to the tarp and then it would slide into the rail on the van.
Single Kadors are difficult to find though so you might have to get a double and cut it down.

Cheers thanks, I will measure it up and order some 8mm

Last edited:
Back