Winter Awning

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ok, I know the VW fixed awning is more a sunshade than an all weather awning.
There are only the 2 of us and as we plan on using the California throughout the year I wanted something for use in wet & windy weather that was easy to put up, cheap ( so that severe weather damage wouldn't be costly ) and which would provide some shelter for the side door when entering/exiting the vehicle in inclement weather. A Driveaway awning is over the top.
Has anyone done this:-
Clear tarpaulin http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Mono-Tarp ... _mrai_2_dp
2 x 6' + steel poles, elastic bungees to ground pegs, guy rope to poles and securing the Tarpauline to the vehicle by loops/guy ropes/bungees around the ends of the fitted awning cassette, or some form of fitment to fit in the awning channel on the California?
It could be set up with a roof from California to poles then down to floor so giving a porch effect. Good idea :?: :?: :?: :?:
Does anyone know of any attachments that could fit in awning rail that end in a hook or ring to aid attachment :?: :?: :?:
Any comments much appreciated.

Sounds a bit complicated. You already have all those parts in the awning. I just use extra guy ropes and if necessary a strap across the awning to stop it from flapping about. Make sure you have plenty of slope on the canvas to stop it from filling with rain water and drains properly.

I accept what you both say, but for £50 or less you could have a system that is simple to setup in bad weather and won't break the bank if it does get trashed.
Snowy55, as minimum, 2 guys and 4 pegs + 2 loops around the fixed awning cassette or to 2 hooks or similar on awning rail is, to my mind, no more difficult than your method of tying down the California awning. In fact if the ties to the vehicle failed the tarpaulin would flap/fall away from the vehicle.

If you want full protection personally I'd opt for a pop up Base Seconds tent.
Up down in minutes (once you get the hang of it ;) ) reasonable cost, around £140ish but sometimes on ebay for less.
Gives total protection which you won't get from an awning/tarp combination unless you go for something like the Comfortz set up.
Ours has stood up to snow, wind, rain and being run over and is very versatile and stores easily under the rear shelf. Also can be left standing without the van.

P1180758small_zps8f6cc313.jpg

There are 2 of us who use the van, and we camp all year. We do not put the awning (sun shade) out in the winter We pack in such away that that we are self contained within the Cali.so I would ask do you need to put up a awning as you are thinking about ? We sleep down stairs and on a couple of extreme storms keep the roof down. This works for us

Also it is simple then to move the van so the door is away from the wind / rain. Often put a hedge towards a door.

Thanks Meoncoast. We would probably use nothing on most winter trips of 1 or 2 days. I've found a clear tarpaulin of 2 x 4 m which should do what I want to do, and realised I can use the awning connectors from my Calitop. This system would be used if staying for a few days when the weather is very wet. When I have it all sorted I'll post some pictures.