Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storm Porch

Storm Porch MK 2, courtesy of Nick at Comfortz.

So the MK 1 version used a cheap tarpaulin, but the eyelets failed as the plastic stretched. Principle was OK, just the tarpaulin and it was the only one I could find of the size required. At COTF I had a chat with Nick from Comfortz who has come up with a lighter, waterproof and suitably reinforced awning of the correct size, 2.5m x 4m. Here are some photos of it erected on our local common.View attachment 9537View attachment 9538View attachment 9539View attachment 9540View attachment 9541

Really like the Mk2 version. I get worried in the winter months about the unexpected rain causing problems when I'm away from the Cali when I'm up in Snowdonia. The only problem is that the rain often comes horizontally, do you think a strategically placed windbreak might help with that?
Did Nick take up the idea of these with any plan to make and market them?
I have nowhere straightforward to dry out the windout awning so your Mk2 design would seem ideal.

Really like the Mk2 version. I get worried in the winter months about the unexpected rain causing problems when I'm away from the Cali when I'm up in Snowdonia. The only problem is that the rain often comes horizontally, do you think a strategically placed windbreak might help with that?
Did Nick take up the idea of these with any plan to make and market them?
I have nowhere straightforward to dry out the windout awning so your Mk2 design would seem ideal.
I think it was just a one off custom order. This the diagram I sent Comfortz. It is made of the same material as their Roof Topper. I used 2 x 6' segment poles from eBay and also a telescopic cross pole with rings at each end also from eBay. 8mm Bungee cord also from eBay and 4 tent Guy Ropes also from eBay. The Bungee cord is used to go round the Awning cassette and the 4 guys for the 2 poles and the other end to the ground. Also the sheet folds up in a bag they supplied and fits in one of the Tailgate seats.

Attachments

• Lightweight[3].pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 60
I think it was just a one off custom order. This the diagram I sent Comfortz. It is made of the same material as their Roof Topper. I used 2 x 6' segment poles from eBay and also a telescopic cross pole with rings at each end also from eBay. 8mm Bungee cord also from eBay and 4 tent Guy Ropes also from eBay. The Bungee cord is used to go round the Awning cassette and the 4 guys for the 2 poles and the other end to the ground. Also the sheet folds up in a bag they supplied and fits in one of the Tailgate seats.

Many thanks for this. Presumably you can unhook it from the Awning rail and peg it into the floor so it becomes a sort of drive away awning to reserve your pitch whilst you use the Cali.

Many thanks for this. Presumably you can unhook it from the Awning rail and peg it into the floor so it becomes a sort of drive away awning to reserve your pitch whilst you use the Cali.
I suppose you could actually. Hadn't thought of that.
I designed it so you could have a short roof and a long wall or long roof and short wall.

Like the idea,understand the reason why.
Will put my two pence worth in regarding the awning and foul weather.I use my van for most of the Scottish winter season, taking clients in the hills ect.

I sometimes don't have the luxury of returning to the cali every night but i need the awning and side panels set up for when i return with clients to give them there cup of tea and biscuits!!

A bombproof way of ensuring the awning does not blow off,damage the cali,bend or anything else that can happen is to tie down securely with large metal pegs in the ground.

I do this by using three guidelines on the side panels,spaced evenly and three on the front.I secure the footings on the awning again with pegs in the ground.
It takes about half hour to do correctly,but then it is bombproof.The roof I have two large rigid plastic square sheets that i put up there to stop the snow/rain drooping the awning.
It has survived 50mph gusts with no adverse effects,i have had three foot of snow on return and no problems.

I will post pics next winter when i take them.

Of course if its not needed,roll the awning away....

I can see the tarp been great for summer days lots of breeze to come thru and not as dark as when the awning is up.

Could you send a picture from your setup please

Will hopefully be heading up in March will set up and picture.
Sorry don't have any at the moe, one I do have is not tied down etc.

@WelshGas I like the idea. My issue has been trying to find to find something that would work on my parents driveway for towelling dry dogs before they go into van. On a campsite they have crates in the awning. But on a paved driveway - no awning... any options considered...

@WelshGas I like the idea. My issue has been trying to find to find something that would work on my parents driveway for towelling dry dogs before they go into van. On a campsite they have crates in the awning. But on a paved driveway - no awning... any options considered...
Something like this, with bricks in place of tent pegs?

https://www.reimo.com/en/93790-rear_tent_instant_for_vw_t5/

Or these pole weights to use on existing Awning legs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outsunny-Te...Leg-Pole-Anchor-Weights-Marquee-/271816223368

Yes, but ideally needs to be 8mm. I've found that 6mm can pull out of the slot .

Only just noticed this discussion on size of Kador strips.
I have recently bought a small drive away awning in a Khyam factory sale. I bought the figure of 8 part of the connector from them too. When I rang up for the Kador strip from a caravan shop they said I needed a "Double Edge Kador Strip Awning Connector – 6mm to 4mm". I asked why and was told that the strip is measured by the size of the round tube in the fabric but not including the fabric. It was delivered and fits perfectly, the 4mm side fitting into the slot in the awning rail and the 6mm fitting into the figure of 8, the other half of which fits onto the awning.
I did ask why it was called a 4mm when with the fabric it was more like 6.5mm and was told that was just how it was done. The other side is probably about 8mm with the fabric. Seems a bit strange to me.

Did you decide to fix it to the cassette with a bungee to prevent any possibility of damage to the awning?
I'm just wondering if a Kador strip could be sewn into it at each end so it could be slotted into the awning rail either way round. What do you think?
Simon

Did you decide to fix it to the cassette with a bungee to prevent any possibility of damage to the awning?
I'm just wondering if a Kador strip could be sewn into it at each end so it could be slotted into the awning rail either way round. What do you think?
Simon
Hi Simon. Yes I just used a long length of bungee cord. Awning on top of cassette and bungee cord underneath, so easily detached if necessary. You could use a sewn in Kador strip but then you would have to undo the Guy ropes to unplug from the Awning Cassette. Easier to just pull off the bungee.:thumb

Hi Simon. Yes I just used a long length of bungee cord. Awning on top of cassette and bungee cord underneath, so easily detached if necessary. You could use a sewn in Kador strip but then you would have to undo the Guy ropes to unplug from the Awning Cassette. Easier to just pull off the bungee.:thumb

Thanks Paul. Much quicker and less fuss with a bungee, I agree. Simon

Tarps are so versatile. We have 2 that I use to create weather blockers (rain and sun), wind deflectors, shelters.

Ours are Quechua tarps and came from Decathlon some years ago with poles.

Here’s a few setups we had on our old van. Think we might need to try some new arrangements on our 5 month old Cali in the coming weeks if this rotten weather keeps up!

9B7E9900-9E1D-4456-95F2-ADE35D7D8699.jpeg

CF1DF344-CC31-458D-991C-8E6E20E26FDD.jpeg

72BB8139-9938-40B1-B6DF-A11810E9F6C1.png

Back