Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange headlight turn signal link.

C

cskins

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
In my t4 California coach hightop I have a baffling problem. When the key is removed from the Ignition if the turn signal lever is moved to the left turn position the left headlight and taillight turn on. The same thing happens when the lever is moved to the right turn position the right headlight and taillight come on. It has led to a dead battery a few times when accidently moving the lever while putting up the curtains. The van had an immobilizer which has been removed. The problem occured before and after the immobilizer was removed. Any ideas anyone.

In my t4 California coach hightop I have a baffling problem. When the key is removed from the Ignition if the turn signal lever is moved to the left turn position the left headlight and taillight turn on. The same thing happens when the lever is moved to the right turn position the right headlight and taillight come on. It has led to a dead battery a few times when accidently moving the lever while putting up the curtains. The van had an immobilizer which has been removed. The problem occured before and after the immobilizer was removed. Any ideas anyone.
This is a specific deliberate function. It’s a parking at night mode. If you read your manual you can find out how it works and how to turn that function off.
The images below might help

1712837821746.pngIMG_8648.jpeg

1712837788690.png

I don’t believe the 4s had the Auto light option?

Anyway, it is the parking light function. The issue is with the head light. It should only be the side lights that are actuated I think. Check the wiring at the lights.

It's normal on a T4, just make sure your indicator stalk is central when parked to avoid a flat battery.

Function can also be activated on T5.1 with Carista, but law is not really enforced in UK. More in below link:

The attachments were for information only - some vehicles also wouldn’t have front fog lights…

I don’t believe the 4s had the Auto light option?

Anyway, it is the parking light function. The issue is with the head light. It should only be the side lights that are actuated I think. Check the wiring at the lights.
Probably sidelight bulb is within the headlight reflector as on T5.1.

Anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the manual for this 94 t4

I'm more interested in the owners manual as I would just like to find out how to disable parking light wierdnes

I'm more interested in the owners manual as I would just like to find out how to disable parking light wierdnes
I don't think you can.

Turn the main light switch setting to “off “…or if on headlights I believe the parking light function is also disabled?
Not on my T5.1. Headlight switch Off. if Indicator stalk is On, L or R then the front and rear sidelights are illuminated on that side. Not sure if there is a warning beep when removing ignition key. There is an audible beep on removing key if Headlight switch On.

Not on my T5.1. Headlight switch Off. if Indicator stalk is On, L or R then the front and rear sidelights are illuminated on that side. Not sure if there is a warning beep when removing ignition key. There is an audible beep on removing key if Headlight switch On.
That highlights the importance of having the correct manual for the vehicle.

Back