Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Daytime Headlights

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I am wanting to turn my daytime headlights off. On page 128 of the manual it says you do this by "Push the turn signal and main beam lever down and back and hold (left turn signal and headlight flash)

Switch the ignition on for exactly 3 seconds and then switch off again

Nothing happens !. The lights are still on.

Has anyone else had success

Thanks

Martyn

Hello Martyn. I had exactly the same issue as you regarding the daytime running lights, as have others. I posted this response back in Feb I think. Hope it helps you:
It is possible to switch off DLRs, either by having the garage code them as off as suggested by surfer-rich (but this costs money), by removing the bulbs (but check in your handbook first that they do not have a dual function), or more simply by removing the fuses. There are 2 x 5-amp fuses for the DLRs (one for each side). The fuses are located under a cover beneath the cup holders on the front dash. The cover can be removed using a small coin, slotted screwdriver or the end of the ignition key. If you are looking towards the fuse box (you might need a torch) on an SE Cali you will see there are 5 horizontal rows of fuses. The 2 fuses you are looking for are at the right hand end of the second row from the bottom (above a silver screw head). Look carefully and you will see that they are numbered 12 and 14. Use the white miniature pliers supplied within the fuse box to remove the fuses and store them safely!. Turn on the ignition and hopefully there will be no lights shining on your neighbours on the campsite. This will not result in a warning light on the dash for a defective light and is not an MOT failure. Its such a quick and easy job that you could have the DLRs activated whilst driving and deactivated whilst camping thereby having the best of both worlds. Sorry if the explanation is over-simplified but people have different levels of confidence when tackling things like this.

Thanks for such a clear and precise response Bill...ill see to it

I am curious if you had an accident and the other driver claimed he didn't see you and the insurance company said why didn't you have your Drl's on only to find out you had removed the fuse would they still pay out?

I am curious if you had an accident and the other driver claimed he didn't see you and the insurance company said why didn't you have your Drl's on only to find out you had removed the fuse would they still pay out?
I think you could be correct Calked.
See here:- http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

I would believe that if fitted then they have to be used. Insurance companies would look for anyway out of paying a claim.
I would suggest the Insurance company should be informed and you abide by their decision, in writing.

I guess they are a safety feature

Thanks for your inputs CaliKev and WelshGas. I checked with my local dealer before proceeding and was advised that DLRs were not a legal requirement on the Cali. Additionally I would have thought they would be an MOT failure if not working but they are not. This might explain why some manufacturers do give you the option of switching them On-Off through the dashboard menu system. I accept that in the interests of road safety you are arguably better with them on and that it is better to check with your insurance although I'm pretty sure I know what the response will be if you do. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has checked with their insurance and what response they got.

I was under the impression that daylight running lights became compulsory for vehicles registered after 2011 so would be an MOT failure if the tester knows what he is looking at.

On our Touareg I was able to use my VCDS to change the central convenience module coding to add the option to the mfd so it could be switched on or off with the steering wheel controls. Same with a previous Golf.

Out of interest why do you want to turn them off?

Ahh that's the big question! I can understand why you must be wondering what the fuss is all about. For me personally I don't have an issue with the DRLs being on when I'm driving. Anything to promote safety has got to be a good thing. My problem is when I'm camping and it's mainly about consideration for others. On sites, especially where there is not a lot of space, I don't like the lights shining into neighbours tents/awnings everytime I switch on the ignition. I end up pointing the Cali in a direction which avoids this rather than what suits us best. Also when wild camping there are times when I don't want to draw attention to our location (although of course I will deny I ever camp anywhere other than legitimate places!) but with lights on permanently that's not easy to avoid. In these situations I like to have the option to switch them off. As the instructions which Martyn mentioned (from the handbook) do not work then pulling the fuses seems to be the best option.

Why do you have to turn on your ignition whilst camping?
Once parked up the ignition is never turned on until its time to lower the roof to leave.

Every site/location is different. Ideally i might park up and leave the van as you suggest. However sometimes I might enter and leave a site several times in a day (go shopping, sight-seeing, evening meal etc) which means lowering and raising the roof. I might raise or lower the roof depending on the weather. I regularly adjust the front door windows for added ventilation. Positioning the van on blocks or next to the awning or simply clearing the windscreen of rain. We all do things differently. The important thing for me is that I now have a choice when on site so as not to inconvenience fellow campers.
Interestingly the link provided by WelshGas to the AA information states that DRLs are designed to come on automatically when the engine is started which is different to when the ignition is turned on. This might be considered by some to be a more sensible option. It would certainly have suited me better. In an ideal world the instructions in the handbook for disabling the DRLs would actually have worked.

From my personal experience other campers are often more disturbed by the sliding door sound than lights. I do agree though it would be nice to be able to easily disable them until next time you start it. I also thought they were a legal requirement for vehicles after 2011.

Checking the detail says:
European legislation adopted in 2008 required dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) to be fitted to all new 'types' of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

Note: This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted. The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date i.e. new or substantially facelifted models.

The performance requirements for Daytime running lights are defined in UN ECE Regulation 87: Daytime running lights

The operating requirements for Daytime running lights are defined in UN ECE Regulation 48: Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices.

When we camp with the Touareg we lock the car when in our roof tent and we have to turn off the convenience headlights otherwise every time we touch the lock to open the door in the dark the Xenon Headlights come on like searchlights across the campsite.

If my memory is correct, I found this out with the hire Ocean.When locking, unlocking or key in position "I" the DRLs would come on then shut down after a time delay. When I was playing with the functions while reading the manual during the day a couple of people came over to tell me my sidelights were on.

I found that I had the lights in Auto, once I stuck it in "0" the didn't come on unless I had the engine running.

If my memory is correct, I found this out with the hire Ocean.When locking, unlocking or key in position "I" the DRLs would come on then shut down after a time delay. When I was playing with the functions while reading the manual during the day a couple of people came over to tell me my sidelights were on.

I found that I had the lights in Auto, once I stuck it in "0" the didn't come on unless I had the engine running.

Just tried this, it works! No floodlighting the camp site, just need to remember "lights off" Thanks

Definitely grounds for an insurer not to pay out having tampered with the vehicles safety systems outwith the normal operating parameters.
Things like DRL's are considered for NCAP, I would just take lights off auto and stop being so considerate :)

Why do you have to turn on your ignition whilst camping?
Once parked up the ignition is never turned on until its time to lower the roof to leave.
Or control the windows? :)

Or control the windows? :)
You need all 4 windows open ?
Personally I find the 2 sliding side windows or the sliding door give more than sufficient ventilation even when cooking in the van.

When it is raining there are deflectors on front windows exactly for that purpose.

Back