Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuck centre bottle holder

P

PQU

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I've been using the centre bottle holder to store wine bottles, pushing the cork far enough in to allow it to close Like an idiot though last night I clearly didn't push the cork far enough in so while it closed I can't now get it open.

Any bitter experience that I can benefit from?

I've been using the centre bottle holder to store wine bottles, pushing the cork far enough in to allow it to close Like an idiot though last night I clearly didn't push the cork far enough in so while it closed I can't now get it open.

As far as I understand: You can not reach the cork just a little (to cut, saw)? I have to check myself at home

I think you will have to go the brute force method and see you can get it open or, pull out the whole part like you do to get to the fuse box behind.

Last edited:
I similarly got a bottle of red wine stuck recently and ended up breaking the neck of the bottle .This limited the spillage.

I did EXACTLY the same as this and then forced the door back open with brute force. It was fine. A bit of trim came off which could be put back into place. Good luck!

I think you will have to go the brute force method and see you can get it open or, pull out the whole part like you do to get to the fuse box behind.

Thanks for the solution Loz :thumb

I managed to jam a bottle in there this evening :Nailbiting. I tried the brute force solution and was initially a little surprised/concerned to find I had pulled the whole unit out. However, it enabled me to see how the bottle had jammed the unit and so release it. Reinstalling the unit was straightforward.

The contents of the offending bottle have now been disposed of in a suitable manner :D

Just done the same, cork stopping the bottle holder opening. Tried the brut force option, doesn’t seem to come free, and I’m worried that something is going to break. Any other thoughts?

It was a while ago.... but as I recall I used a knife to cut the cork flush with the top of the bottle

Thanks, I was thinking of giving it a go with a hacksaw blade. I will let you know. Cheers

Just had the same problem with a bottle of wine that must have been slightly taller than usual. It got wedged in and then I couldn’t open the bottle opener.

I tried brute force but ended up pulling out the handle and damaging it at little, so definitely don’t just yank on the handle as the pins are plastics and quite delicate. Instead, try pulling the top and sides out of the unit, gradually increasing the gap until you get to the middle and can get your fingers in both sides. And then pull hard outwards. The unit should pop out exposing the fuse box. Take a look at the manual and you’ll get a feel for the size and shape of the bit that your pulling out and how to refit it.

It still took a bit of time to extract the wine bottle, but there was much more leverage with the unit removed. And then the whole unit just slotted back in (again see the manual for replacing the unit over the fuse box).

Anyway, I also learned something new. There’s a purpose built knob at the back of the wine holder that will divert air conditioned air into the wine to chill it. Or you can close it if you want can temperature. You can access this just by looking inside the wine holder and at the back!

Can I ask if screw topped wine bottles would prevent this problem?

You can get a little extra depth in the bottle holder by removing the foam pad at the bottom of the bottle holder.

Sadly it was a 42p bottle of water that got stuck not wine, but thanks to all for convincing me that I could safely use brute force. Problem now solved. Thanks

Back