Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuffed up again, what happened to 'Gentlemen' in this world?

Sorry - said I would not prolong this any more but just to answer the point.

No. it was definitely not the same situation - in my case they had not agreed to buy* or anything like it - we had simple arranged a viewing, nothing more. When someone else subsequently called to offer a deposit over the phone before the first person had been to the arranged viewing I still felt duty bound to hold off the phone deposit and offer the van to the first person who was coming to view.

In the end they did not come and the person on the phone pulled out - so more fool me but my conscience was clear and as I said I knew another buyer would come given time.

[edit] *just realised this contradicts my earlier post but what I wrote in the post you quoted should have been 'view' not 'buy' - I don't want to go back and edit it, better to (try!) and explain here. Arghh. I'll shut up lest I did a bigger hole... :headbang

Yep, I understand now, but was thrown by the 'had agreed to buy'. Agreed to 'view' is very different!

I wouldn't worry about letting this thread run (apart from it keeps reminding you of your loss) as I think it's of real help to private buyers and sellers.
My approach (and my whole Cali chain's) was very different to yours - more risky but in our cases, more productive.
Once I've spoken to the seller and taken a view on them, and their ownership of the van (7 years, 1 owner in my case), I was willing to transfer a £500 deposit "on the basis the van was as described". That includes any statements you can get the seller to include in quickly exchanged emails.
If the van then turns out to have other faults or issues, I'm confident I could get my deposit returned (with varying degrees of hassle).

Not saying which is right or wrong, just sharing different approaches.

So, after much searching for months and various views all set to shake hands on a Beach that fitted my spec near perfectly. A difficult 700 mile round trip arranged at the seller's earliest opportunity with much juggling on our part after a long phone call, various communications and firm gentleman's agreement to buy the vehicle, Insurance and even cruise retro fitting ready to go. Family told and all excited.

Then short text message out of the blue the evening before - so sorry Max, just agreed to sell to someone else.

OK, I know you will all say, you should have sent a deposit but in my lifetime and having bought/sold 35 odd vehicles privately a gentleman's agreement is that.

The very least I would expect is a call and opportunity to send a deposit before dumping on someone.

Sorry folks, rant over, had to get this off my chest as it's the second time this has happened with a Cali in the last three weeks.
You are quite right common courtesy costs nothing!
Shame on the sellers ☹️

OK, I know, I know.... but guess what....third time blown out by a text message this afternoon after I believed I had arranged everything with the seller to drive over and leave a deposit tomorrow morning...

Time is ticking now...

PS, not a gentleman this time but a 'lady'.

Last edited:
You've either awfully bad luck, or a flawed strategy. Tell us more.....

I was dumped by text many years ago, very cowardly!

In the end it comes down to one thing only. A Gentlemen's agreement presupposes that there are gentlemen involved!

Back