Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sun awning plastic ringlets

I have the rubber blocks. They were loose very early in the beginning, but I glued them back in place.
probably not really the right place, but I had some other foam stickies on different places to try to keep the awning silent. Works quite good, except for really bad roads, or MOT tests.

Mine are about 40mm apart - Awning is silent! :happy
Edit: The official instructions say +/- 20mm, so I make the gap between the two min 40mm, max 80mm i.e. 20mm each side of 60.
Have just fitted these in a 2018 Cali (awning manufactured in Dec 2017)
Easy fit as per the instructions, significant reduction in canned noise.
Still have very occasional noise from very front end of the housing where the rolled awning front bearing chatters a bit but it is an unequivocal but and fit you will not be disappointed:bananadance2

I have the rubber blocks. They were loose very early in the beginning, but I glued them back in place.
probably not really the right place, but I had some other foam stickies on different places to try to keep the awning silent. Works quite good, except for really bad roads, or MOT tests.
The trouble with the rubber blocks is that they dampen any noise (clatter!) as a result of left to right movement but not up and down. The new items from Thule do both. £6 well invested if you don't have them in my opinion. But then I do like a nice quiet Cali! ;)

The trouble with the rubber blocks is that they dampen any noise (clatter!) as a result of left to right movement but not up and down. The new items from Thule do both. £6 well invested if you don't have them in my opinion. But then I do like a nice quiet Cali! ;)
Me too, but haven't found it yet in the 9 years of ownership. :sad

But think of the satisfaction gained from diagnosing all these noise sources.
Good game but a little expensive to join the team:eek:

Actually, that is why I bought a California. My Golf 4 was way too silent.
Too bad I have to go on holidays with it to find all the rattles and squeecks.:mad:

Me too, but haven't found it yet in the 9 years of ownership. :sad
I think I am close to as good as it gets - but only after many felt pads, bump buttons (3M only - they're called Bump On's), Velcro and of late hot glue! I certainly do not have the radio turned up extra notches to drown out unresolved noise sources - I like to hear the countryside even when I am travelling. After all that's one reason I bought a Cali in the first place.
If you ask my wife she will tell you I have a tad of an OCD where creaks, rattles, squeaks and groans are concerned in all of my cars.

Retro fitted these and have no more rattles from the awning casing.
Still get a whine from the n/s front seat sometimes........
Is that the wife whining :)

Retro fitted these and have no more rattles from the awning casing.
Still get a whine from the n/s front seat sometimes........
It's a new unimagined world of a few short months ago....... :happy

Top tip?
These little widgets are great at sorting your elusive rattle from the awning but.........they do have a habit of moving on their own and end up unknowingly in the wrong place and your rattle comes straight back. (Just when you set out on a road trip of course!)
An easy solution, put self adhesive chair leg felt pads in the holes of the widgets where they are located and can now only move a couple of mm left or right a la Photo. Felt pads are black 27x3mm. (not blue - that's just for illustration!). I've had mine in since just before lockdown, so through all that good weather, and pads and widgets have remained in place. :happy
1592933217707.png

@Jabberwocky , so VW managed to find a solution for the glued paddings falling of causing ratlles , the new awnings come with new parts ....that move while driving in time ...
Howcome i’m not impressed and not supprised;)

@Jabberwocky , so VW managed to find a solution for the glued paddings falling of causing ratlles , the new awnings come with new parts ....that move while driving in time ...
Howcome i’m not impressed and not supprised;)
We must have a enough knowledge in this forum to create the ultimate camper. :cheers
VW will always only be catching up, even from their exalted position. It's the nature of product improvement/development. Been there, know that, having worked for a multi $Bn Belgium company.

Back