Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damaged Casing on T6 Awning

Stuarty

Stuarty

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all looking forward to the better weather coming in!

I was looking for a bit of advice from you guys please. I had a bad moment the other day at e new house we have just moved in to. The entrance to the house is quite tight, and I have managed to scrape the casing of my T6 black awning against a stone wall. :-(

Unfortunately, it’s marked both the fixed part of the casing and the part that comes out with the awning when u wind it out. The scrapes don’t seem to have dented the awning casing, but they are very visible and are through to the bare metal below.

So, any recommendation on what you guys would say would be best for fixing this please? I called the local VW dealer and they don’t sell individual parts for the awning. I was hoping to maybe just buy replacement casings. The new awning would be £750 I think the lady said! Is it possible to buy spares for the awning from somewhere else?

Can it be painted maybe (or is it anodised)?

Or another option would be to for another type of awning, if anyone has found a better option than the factory fitted VW one.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers,
Stuart! :)

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all looking forward to the better weather coming in!

I was looking for a bit of advice from you guys please. I had a bad moment the other day at e new house we have just moved in to. The entrance to the house is quite tight, and I have managed to scrape the casing of my T6 black awning against a stone wall. :-(

Unfortunately, it’s marked both the fixed part of the casing and the part that comes out with the awning when u wind it out. The scrapes don’t seem to have dented the awning casing, but they are very visible and are through to the bare metal below.

So, any recommendation on what you guys would say would be best for fixing this please? I called the local VW dealer and they don’t sell individual parts for the awning. I was hoping to maybe just buy replacement casings. The new awning would be £750 I think the lady said! Is it possible to buy spares for the awning from somewhere else?

Can it be painted maybe (or is it anodised)?

Or another option would be to for another type of awning, if anyone has found a better option than the factory fitted VW one.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers,
Stuart! :)
People have had them painted both DIY and Professional. Youcan get spares, but not from VW. Google search for Thule Omnistor awnings . They make the awning specifically for the VW T5/6.
Lastly, I've read of someone having it covered with plastic film.
On my phone at the moment so can't give the links.

Had to get bits for mine ( don’t ask)
This is who I phoned. Very helpful.

I use helicopter tape, give it a gloss finish and orovides protection

I have placed some stickers on the awning before covering not sure you will recognise the sticker!

520AEEE0-C083-4C00-AFAF-E115B9EA72EA.jpeg
FD37BC93-F247-46DF-8A8F-5EB878D34CF6.jpeg

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your help and advice. As usual, this forum is great!! :thumb
What's the advantage with wrapping it in plastic film then? Is it just to apply different colours and to give it a Biot more protection?
Thanks again!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your help and advice. As usual, this forum is great!! :thumb
What's the advantage with wrapping it in plastic film then? Is it just to apply different colours and to give it a Biot more protection?
Thanks again!

Hi Stuarty
Nothing do do with atheistics
The helicopter tape provides extra protection, I clip my driveway awning onto the top edge of the wind out awning, (clipped on with a figure of eight channel), so just prevents the damage from the figure of eight to the wind out awning.

Check out post #42

Resprayed awning