Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sunroof for the Cali

insomnia

insomnia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have been in talks with a local firm with a view to getting a sun roof fitted to the cali in the pop up roof, the quotes are coming out at around £450 which does not seem to bad and it is a decent size giving us a 70cm window in the roof with intergrated blackout blind. I got the idea from a Marco Polo parked next to us on a campsite in Spain last year, it made the inside of the van so much brighter and I think it will be great looking at the stars before I nod off to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself would rather spend the £450 on a telescope and watch the star's from the deck chair.

Last edited:
I think 'Spanner's profile pic (above) captures my first reaction to this. Mess with a Cali at your peril. (opinion)

Is it ever done on a Cali pop-up roof , do we got a reference.....?
I would think it serious undermines the stability of the roof panel ?

I don't see how it would brighten up the interior, there is too much bed etc in the way, a clear plastic window in the front of the fabric portion would be better - come on Comfort make me a clear window that can be zipped in when the front fabric window is unzipped.....

I don't see how it would brighten up the interior, there is too much bed etc in the way, a clear plastic window in the front of the fabric portion would be better - come on Comfort make me a clear window that can be zipped in when the front fabric window is unzipped.....

The roof cover/cali cap can be orderd with transparant parts where the windows are.....

Doesn't the upstairs bed stop any light getting in?
Don't think Mr Vw will be very impressed when you make a claim for roof corrosion, can't imagine they will replace your sunroof.
Do the sunroof fitters know the roof is made of aluminium?

That's an amazing idea. Please post a result. I'd definitely like that option as well.
As for rigidity it will only improve.

Is it ever done on a Cali pop-up roof , do we got a reference.....?
I would think it serious undermines the stability of the roof panel ?

I think this would be a bit of a problem.
Especially in 45 degree cross wind gusts.

Have I missed something, is it the 1st of April already?

Danbury_4dd7_vw-t5-danbury-surf-or-active-roof-bed-and-sunroof-option.jpg
img_1317.jpg
DSCF2291.JPG

And that is a Vw California SE/Ocean?
I'm sure it has been done on other vehicles with different types of roof. But my brief search has shown no one offering or supplying a sun roof for the Aluminium elevating roof of a SE/Ocean. If there was a market for such an accessory I'm sure VW or Dealers would have it on their list of expensive extras. I wonder why they don't?

You aren't surprised how many things VW doesn't do even if there is a demand?

it made the inside of the van so much brighter.
What I really loved about T6 how they've changed a fabrics for the tent, how it lets much more light through. There is even a topic here with people complaining somebody will see them through that new fabrics )

There are a lot of things we wonder why VW does not offer, Real leather? Hot running water? A roof canvas that does not become trapped? I could go on and on.

I quite like the idea of a sunroof upstairs and if a tried and tested supplier was found I wouyld consider it

I am pretty sure there is nothing that hard about adding it. It will only add weight to roof and cost you some money. Proper design can even improve roof rigidity though at the cost of weight.

Still not conviced, even so due the shape of the roof , meaning the curves in
on top the roof and making that waterproof/ sealed...

There is even a topic here with people complaining somebody will see them through that new fabrics )
There is a slight difference though.......You'd only have the space station / passing aircraft looking through your sunroof, rather than the whole of the campsite.

We have been in talks with a local firm with a view to getting a sun roof fitted to the cali in the pop up roof, the quotes are coming out at around £450 which does not seem to bad and it is a decent size giving us a 70cm window in the roof with intergrated blackout blind. I got the idea from a Marco Polo parked next to us on a campsite in Spain last year, it made the inside of the van so much brighter and I think it will be great looking at the stars before I nod off to sleep.
I think it's a great concept. Did you go ahead with it please?

I have had sunroofs fitted in various cars in the past which had flat roofs. Leaks were always a problem where the mastic or seals fail. Two caravans we owned also had leaks from the Helki roof lights which were factory fitted. I would not want to risk this in the Cali especially as HC says about the shape of the roof.

The new safari style canvas are quite interesting that can be opened up at the front.

Back