Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surf key

Why don’t you ask VW how much it would be to cut a rigid key?

Even if it is chipped, going in the water with it should cause an issue with the chip, and even if it does, you will have an unchipped rigid key (a surf key).
Thanks Amarillo, i’ll do that. Have emailed telecomman again to ask about a dumb uncoded key in case he thought i wanted electronics - awaiting his response.

For what it's worth, I bought a super strong Neodymium counter sunk magnet to hide my surf key. Drilled a small hole through the centre of the plastic part of the key and attached the magnet with a small stainless nut and bolt. Can now be placed very securely almost anywhere under the van should I ever need it. Worth dipping the key blade in wax or grease to prevent any corrosion. https://www.first4magnets.com/count...mium-magnet-5-7kg-pull-p2968#ab_1_1|ps_2_1139
Thanks might consider that if i ever get the elusive surf key but would be wary of insurance issues.

Got back in touch with telecomman asking about a ‘dumb’ key hoping that no decoding would be needed. Here’s his response:-

Hi Mike
This is new high security key introduced by VAG in 2015 on the Polo only.
It is now the standard key for most models.
It comes in 3 formats, 8,9, or 10 cuts plus it has cuts to the side of the blade (have a look at yours and compare it to a normal VW key)
I used to be able to decode the old style key in under 30 seconds, these new ones I've just given up on, as they use a new bi-directional system.
In order to cut the key, you need to decode it first.
Added to all of this my machine would need an £800 upgrade in order to cut them, but a bit pointless if i can't decode them.
Best regards
Jim

Got back in touch with telecomman asking about a ‘dumb’ key hoping that no decoding would be needed. Here’s his response:-

Hi Mike
This is new high security key introduced by VAG in 2015 on the Polo only.
It is now the standard key for most models.
It comes in 3 formats, 8,9, or 10 cuts plus it has cuts to the side of the blade (have a look at yours and compare it to a normal VW key)
I used to be able to decode the old style key in under 30 seconds, these new ones I've just given up on, as they use a new bi-directional system.
In order to cut the key, you need to decode it first.
Added to all of this my machine would need an £800 upgrade in order to cut them, but a bit pointless if i can't decode them.
Best regards
Jim
That’s a shame. Impressed that Jim gave such a good explanation though.

That’s a shame. Impressed that Jim gave such a good explanation though.
Confused a little by his reference to 8, 9 or 10 cuts though. My key appears to just have 1 complex zigzag cut. Having said that, the bottom of the zigzag groove does seem to have some minuscule lines along it’s length.

Confused a little by his reference to 8, 9 or 10 cuts though. My key appears to just have 1 complex zigzag cut. Having said that, the bottom of the zigzag groove does seem to have some minuscule lines along it’s length.
Send him a picture of the key blade, close up on your phone should do ok and the code from the black tag that was originally attached to the master key if you have it ?

Send him a picture of the key blade, close up on your phone should do ok and the code from the black tag that was originally attached to the master key if you have it ?
Hi Perfectos, did that at the outset but you’ve seen his response. Can’t see him turning business away if he could do it. I’ve now asked Citygate VW if they can supply a dumb key. See what they say. Might eventually have to fork out for a bonafide key and take it apart as per WG.
Never lost a car key in my life and never locked myself out but this forum had introduced a level of paranoia :) :)

My wife locked both keys to my Audi in the car. I spoke to my local dealer and was told that they could order a key but they would need the logbook to prove ownership and it would take five days to come. The key would unlock the doors but would have to be programmed to the car. The cost of the key was £200 plus programming and the would not start the order until they had seen the logbook. To cap it all I was told that it might not work if the locks had been changed.
I phoned Audi Assist and they said they could send out the RAC but there might be come damage to the car or I could wait until the next day for an Audi technician to assist and there would be less chance of damage. The technician arrived the next day and opened the car within seconds. Pretty poor for a £50k car that could be opened within seconds with tools that can be brought on eBay for £15.
That weekend I brought surf keys for both cars they were £10 each from a local locksmith. The key will only unlock the car it will not start it.
it might we worth asking your VW dealer to make you a key. They used to be able to make a plastic emergency key that can be used to start the car as well. If they can do it I would ask them to make up a simple metal key with the chip inside at least that way you can drive home if you lost the key.

Thanks. I asked VW and they said they can’t provide a surf key or similar. They want £162.17 for a key and £72 for programming it. Have asked if the original 2 keys also need reprogramming and await the response.
Inflation - In 1974 I bought a brand new silver VW Beetle 1303S for about £1200 :)

Thanks. I asked VW and they said they can’t provide a surf key or similar. They want £162.17 for a key and £72 for programming it. Have asked if the original 2 keys also need reprogramming and await the response.
Inflation - In 1974 I bought a brand new silver VW Beetle 1303S for about £1200 :)
Wow! I thought maybe £40 for a VW surf key!

Can not belive all this hassle over a key , i asked my VW dealer and using my VIN-nr they had a key made in Germany that only opens the door . 50€ .
case closed.
Probally possible to have one made at a locksmith but a locksmith is a dying job out here . Those you find at the supermarket entrance only make normal house key’s.

Ask a decent dealer order one from the factory by VIN-nr
Also the reason my VIN-nr in the frontwindscreen is coverd.

£11 . ebay. they can make one from a photograph.

Appreciate all the leg work you have put in with this GG. I have let my paranoia get the better of me and have managed to add the 4 key option to my order. I had intended to get the £15 surf key (or 2!), but looks like you have conclusively proved that it's no longer an option.

Appreciate all the leg work you have put in with this GG. I have let my paranoia get the better of me and have managed to add the 4 key option to my order. I had intended to get the £15 surf key (or 2!), but looks like you have conclusively proved that it's no longer an option.
Looks that way. However if i’m passing an independent locksmith i might pop in and enquire. :)

If I had 4 keys I would be paranoid someone could break in house and find a key and pinch van.
I have 1 key and one is with someone (they would have to get it sent to me).
Yes I could get locked out but having someone pinch van with a key is more of a worry for me.
I use to always travel with both but that freaked me out leaving a key in van or carrying two.
You are damned if you do or if dont:headbang

If I had 4 keys I would be paranoid someone could break in house and find a key and pinch van.
I have 1 key and one is with someone (they would have to get it sent to me).
Yes I could get locked out but having someone pinch van with a key is more of a worry for me.
I use to always travel with both but that freaked me out leaving a key in van or carrying two.
You are damned if you do or if dont:headbang
Haha, you’re right.
Been through a lot in my life and at nearly 70 I don’t worry about too much about very much. At least I didn’t until i got my new Cali :)

It’s only worth having 4 keys if you will travel with more than two people, and need to hand them out.
If you lose a key I would be getting a reprogram of ignition and 2x new keys (or whatever vw do).

That’s why we talk about a surf key without a remote fob that only opens the door , or will you putting a keyfob arround your neck while surfing...?
Also best not to hide a full key fob in a magnetic box on the chassis .

2 cars incl 1 x VW van at our beach have been pinched when people lock their keys inside or in an external box. In both instances the insurance hasn’t paid out. So take your key with you. I have also have a surf key which is an emergency spare in case we I shut the boot with keys inside. Timpson cut it for £10. Wrap main key in cling film and then a waterproof pouch. If it get wet abs stops working then soak in Deionised water and dry in rice.Hope this helps my - complete key knowledge.