"Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened All four" MOT Advisory

C

Constantinople

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone know if it's best to replace all four arms or can they be repaired? 2014 Cali

Anyone know if it's best to replace all four arms or can they be repaired? 2014 Cali
Probably just need a wire brush up and a good coat of paint to stop further corrosion, otherwise it would have failed rather than an advisory.

Paint and wire brush. I have two new rear arms on my 2015 and VW were confused as its not normal with that age of vehicle. The price is not cheap at £640+VAT (parts only) each and typical VW. I've literally just thrown the old ones away. Very heavy items, so surface rust would be of no concern.

I changed because I had a siezed cross threaded bolt which I couldn't remove. This was installed by another mechanic following suspension work. As it was small and I've removed bigger, older, more rusted bolts in the past, I wasn't concerned. However, I tried everything and could not remove the bolt, I was just about to give up., drill and helicoil when on the final throw of the dice I snapped an extractor in there. Now impossible to re-drill out.

I also wasn't confident that I wouldn't encounter a similar issue on the other side and or other bolts as the previous mechanic had removed the arms (I had a issue on the front with his work which I fixed). Hence I lost confidence and had then replaced - cost me £2700 ish with new rear bearing and labour.

Found out that the bushes were also installed incorrectly when they were removed.

Back