Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sweden and its controls

I expect most European countries will look like Sweden by September as restrictions are gradually relaxed.

- primary schools back
- table service in restaurants with a minimum distance between tables
- able to visit friends
- hotels open
- limited foreign travel

Things like distancing in places like supermarkets are likely to continue for a very very long time. Possibly years. The European health services will groan with the strain as there is a battle with government. Governments wanting to take advantage of healthcare staff by keeping numbers with CV19 high to open up the economy, the healthcare staff staff wanting Government to tighten restrictions to reduce caseload.

I thought this was interesting, yesterday:

Basically, serum testing of blood donors suggests, very crudely, that about 3% of NL people have had the virus.

So far deaths have been about 3,300 which suggests a mortality ratio of about 0.6% of those infected, as things stand.

A downside would I assume be that if 97% of NL pop have NOT yet been infected, herd immunity coming out of lockdown will be negligible and potential for a big wave 2 are very high unless restrictions released extremely gradually over very many months. No?

I thought this was interesting, yesterday:

Basically, serum testing of blood donors suggests, very crudely, that about 3% of NL people have had the virus.

So far deaths have been about 3,300 which suggests a mortality ratio of about 0.6% of those infected, as things stand.

A downside would I assume be that if 97% of NL pop have NOT yet been infected, herd immunity coming out of lockdown will be negligible and potential for a big wave 2 are very high unless restrictions released extremely gradually over very many months. No?
I've just read of a very small (and probably unrepresentative*) study of new mothers leaving a US hospital. I think about 15% either carried the antibodies or had the virus but were asymptomatic. That sort of number would have massive implications for the death rate (lowering) and therefore the management plan.
*unrepresentative because hospitals are a 'vector' for transmission.

I've just read of a very small (and probably unrepresentative*) study of new mothers leaving a US hospital. I think about 15% either carried the antibodies or had the virus but were asymptomatic. That sort of number would have massive implications for the death rate (lowering) and therefore the management plan.
*unrepresentative because hospitals are a 'vector' for transmission.

Interesting. Maybe all those people who are said to be avoiding using hospitals right now, even if they have significant health issues, are instinctively sensible!

An article from the beeb

We will not know if Sweden have the answer. until it is all over. The Swedish experts are in line with ours, there was one being interviewed the other day, saying that they worked closely with the Brits for years.
We have a lockdown between the harsh lockdowns of Italy/Spain/France, with the laxer level in Sweden.
I'm glad that they have tried another route, because, we can all learn from it.

There are risks from all options. less lockdown, more deaths, health service overwhelmed.
Strong lockdown, less deaths, more economic damage and risks associated with lockdown, Mental illness, Domestic violence, etc etc.
What I have noticed since it all started though! Is the 100's of thousands of hidden scientists and experts we have in the community.:D

A good insight, some of Andrews observations are out of date but he's generally right, and Sweden has been critical of itself in taking care of the elderly which they are working hard to address.

We've got our health agency running the show, many of which are Ebola and HIV veterans who also understand the Swedish way of decentralised care and political power.

I'd say the article is very close to reality too, good piece.

Last edited:
Back