Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 generation

Andypandy1930

Andypandy1930

Hi guys been to look at a t4 generation today and it is nice but is the 22k they are asking for it way out or not seems a bit high to me as I can import a t5 Cali for the same price but as I'm new to the t4/5 models I'm not up on it can anyone help! Thanks

redredzimmer said:
For anybody interested... here is the van in question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T4-Califor ... 4173b5719a

Thanks James

Well ---- if people pay it than that is what it is worth.

I think these T4's - as wonderful as they are, are just a bit over rated. There's a premium being asked here for it being a Westy, rare and having a VW Badge.

You probably wouldn't be able to get a T5 Cali for this price not without significant milage - but I'd still stretch too one if poss.

It is the not imported to the UK 150bhp model.

Back to mobile.de for T4 California's?

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/volkswagen ... ence=DAILY

Interesting way to look at it if you do want a T4

James

Its too much. If it had been a really low mileage it may have been justified. It must be one of the most desirable ever T4's, and that will (at some point) carry a premium over an early T5 Cali.

(Not sure? How much is a cracking late Mk1 Golf Gti vs an early Mk2?).

Very smart looking van though!

Thanks guys I did think it was high I was thinking its more like 17k nice looking though

Hi Andy

I had a T4 150bhp Generation for 6 years and never had any problems with it. I now have T5 California comfortline 174bhp which i imported myself from germany and is much nicer and higher spec than my old T4. I agree that T4s seem very overpriced and if i was you i would import a nice shiny T5 California for the same money you would spend of T4 in this country. There is a fare bit of
paperwork and van modification when you import but its worth it in the end.

I sold my 2001 VW T4 California Generation last year for £ 25.500, but is has only 55.000 KM and I was the first owner, no winter drive etc. I think for this one a reasonable price is between 18K and 20K. It is right that you can buy for about 25K an early T5 California, but you can be sure that the last T4's are more reliable then the first T5's. If you decide for a T5 I recommend you to search for a 2007 or younger.

Regards,

Wim
VW Camper Site

I paid a similar price for my T4 Westy California Event. It is 2004 LHD on UK plates. I imported it into France with no problems and very little paperwork. It had 72,000miles on the clock. We love it to bits, it is smooth comfortable, and returns a good mpg. I have just returned from a short break in the south of France, and saw at least 20 T4 Cali's, mostly with German plates. I did meet up with a T5 club member in Narbonne! (Jasper22)

Go for it, the more T4s in the club, the better!

Thanks everyone I'm still on the case been for a second viewing and it needs some rust sorting and a catalytic converter and cambelt so just thinking is it worth all the work and what price to offer. Narbonne has a cracking beach hope you had a good time

In view of the fact that there is some rust, it needs a catalyst, and a cambelt, you may wise to do some more research. I paid less than £22000 for mine and that included a full service and new cambelt. I bought mine from www.vwcampersales .com. Have a look at their website for some other ideas.

Hi
Have seen comments on T4 verses T5 - early Californias troublesome with trim / roof / engines and nice low mileage late T4 much better proposition - speak to Doug + Just Westys ( he advertises on e-bay and is in Milton Keynes ).We purchased a fantastic T4 California Freestyle 2.5 TDI 105 off him last year after missing purchasing it two years previously ! It is low mileage / cherished and full service history - be patient and buy from someone who knows them - I work for a Volkswagen dealer so know when someone is pukka or not.Hope this helps.

Hi just westys at Milton Keynes have some clean stock and he was really friendly and helpful when we were looking for ours but he didn't have what we wanted in stock at the right time, I would recommend him no problem

Hmm, thats a lot of money for a T4. But the conversion is done by a company that has been perfecting the art for sixty years, rather than a car company dipping their toes in this whole camper conversion business for the first time. Have a browse through this forum and see how many issues the T5 cali's seem to have. With the T4 Westfalias (and the T3/25, T2 etc) it never ceases to amaze me how well preserved the conversion components are - the build quality of the interiors can't be denied.

Don't think that is a fair comment. You're not comparing like to like. We are I fear falling back to the idea that 'things were better in the old days'.

You'll always see more problems here on T5's becuse firstly it's a forum largely populated by T5's, secondly people post when they have a question about an issue and thirdly the T4's here are looked after and they have survived. How can you compare when there are not an equal number of T4's and T5's.

I had a westy t25 and it was a nightmare but that was for certain reasons. Many T5 owners here drive their Cali's everyday with no problems. You can't generalise with such unequal or disproportionate information.

James.

There are always going to be problems with any models I've had 4 t3 westys now and a t3 karmann gipsy and never had any problems ( yet )

Back