T4, T5, T6 evolution.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Before becoming obsessed wth the fact 'I want one'.
All I could have told you about VW campers would have been.
"Some are done by VW, some by converters and some by amateur enthusiasts. There will be a few different engine and gearbox options, some have a tail gate and some have doors."

That would have been about it.
Then fuel was added to the fire by the fact that people I know were using them as an everyday vehicle and taking off spontaneously...decision made in 15mins!! From there on I started to find out more.
Most options looked good to me and I would never have been able to back up any personal discrimination to rule choices in or out but of course much of this has now been ironed out along the way and aided my final choice.

Having reached MY18 - T6, the Ocean in the UK feels (almost) complete to me. Significantly the features that make me feel that way, are the more car like premium dashboard, the new exterior lines, the move away from the check colours on the seats, the lighting upgrades behind the cab and in the pop up roof area, the integrated windscreen blinds, the availability of AAC and many of the things that have changed to standard that used to be options.
I'm not saying these things are necessarily individually superior to previous incarnations but they collectively feel like a more complete package.
Sure there are plenty of options which would further enhance that feeling (I know a lot of people are crying out for LED's to be standard) and this will always be the case that there is always more.
But when you bought your new T4, T5 or earlier T6 did you get that same feeling? the one that ultimately may have pushed you from should I sign on the dotted line to I must sign on the dotted line?

Before becoming obsessed wth the fact 'I want one'.
All I could have told you about VW campers would have been.
"Some are done by VW, some by converters and some by amateur enthusiasts. There will be a few different engine and gearbox options, some have a tail gate and some have doors."

That would have been about it.
Then fuel was added to the fire by the fact that people I know were using them as an everyday vehicle and taking off spontaneously...decision made in 15mins!! From there on I started to find out more.
Most options looked good to me and I would never have been able to back up any personal discrimination to rule choices in or out but of course much of this has now been ironed out along the way and aided my final choice.

Having reached MY18 - T6, the Ocean in the UK feels (almost) complete to me. Significantly the features that make me feel that way, are the more car like premium dashboard, the new exterior lines, the move away from the check colours on the seats, the lighting upgrades behind the cab and in the pop up roof area, the integrated windscreen blinds, the availability of AAC and many of the things that have changed to standard that used to be options.
I'm not saying these things are necessarily individually superior to previous incarnations but they collectively feel like a more complete package.
Sure there are plenty of options which would further enhance that feeling (I know a lot of people are crying out for LED's to be standard) and this will always be the case that there is always more.
But when you bought your new T4, T5 or earlier T6 did you get that same feeling? the one that ultimately may have pushed you from should I sign on the dotted line to I must sign on the dotted line?

I reckon I'm in the minority here, but our Cali buying process was pretty much a snap decision - we'd been away for a weekend in the in law's Autosleeper and decided we wanted a camper van. After studying the California brochure religiously until every detail was burnt to my memory we looked at an ex demo at our local dealer and bought it.
Start to finish was about 2 weeks probably and never regretted it.
At least doing it that way we avoided months of protracted agonising over options (though there were far fewer options back in 2009)!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

First transport use of 2 feet, second 2 wheels bike, then 3 wheels Robin, then 4 wheels Fiat 500 (proper air cooled one) It has always been improvement over the one before. Each time have spent more.

will always be the case that there is always more.

As for the Cali more on our T6 than our T5 and now more on the T6 than when we got ours. When you get your T6 in 6 months there will be more standard features added. If LED's become standard they are not free the price will go up to cover the cost you just do not have to worry about should I pay the extra cost. Yes there will always be more but at a cost. Not sure I will have the funds to buy another van in the future.

Start to finish was about 2 weeks probably and never regretted it.
At least doing it that way we avoided months of protracted agonising over options

that is the way we did it as well the only must on van 2 was DSG it was a forced buy as on the demo spec on van 1.

that is the way we did it as well the only must on van 2 was DSG it was a forced buy as on the demo spec on van 1.
Same here. We would never have gone for auto tiptronic by choice but that's what it had so decision made.
And I've been thankful of it ever since especially when travelling through Germany when it's been traffic jam after traffic jam.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk