Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just Spec'd Up a Marco Polo...

S

status.six

Let me start by saying I'm a massive fan of the California! However, as I'm likely to finally be in the position to go ahead and order this year I thought I'd at least look at the MP.

My local dealer has a demo arriving in a few weeks time so I thought I'd do some leg work now with the brochure and price list. After endless hours looking over the California price / options list I set aside a chunk of time only to find that actually there are hardly any options... I'm not keen on the driver aids (blind spot and the like) so once I discounted them this is it....

V250d Auto (Sport line) 4 Seats - £55,055.00 (OTR)
360 deg camera - £335.00
Diesel fuel 3KW continuous run heater - £2,585.00
Metallic paint - £645.00
Command Online System - £1,795.00
Remote online - £150.00

On the road = £60,565.00

I'm a bit taken aback as knowing Mercedes I expected to be throwing a long list of options on the spec. To be honest I might not even go with Command but since having BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI and as this is going to be a daily driver I think I will probably benefit.

Am I missing something?! Has anybody else spec'd one up? Have I missed a hidden supplementary list of options somewhere o_O?

BTW - I'm not saying it's cheap, just surprisingly easy to spec (and maybe order :Grin)

Remote online - £150.00

No idea what you get for your money with these. So when you order how long is the wait before you can enjoy your van of choice.

The only worthwhile extras I can think of would be

LED lights (maybe they come with the SportLine?)
Opening rear window
Electrical pre-installation for towbar

The only worthwhile extras I can think of would be

LED lights (maybe they come with the SportLine?)
Opening rear window

These must be included as there isn't a specific option to add them...

No idea what you get for your money with these. So when you order how long is the wait before you can enjoy your van of choice

Command gives you a rotary controller type interface for vehicle functions. Reduces buttons in the cabin and makes using navigation on the mover easier and safer!

A factory order now sounds like a May / June collection

When I ordered recently there were a ton of options on the configurator so maybe things are different in the UK? I'm expecting an end June collection. Crazy thing is it is made where I live but has to be shipped to Westfalia and back for the interior ;-)

Let me start by saying I'm a massive fan of the California! However, as I'm likely to finally be in the position to go ahead and order this year I thought I'd at least look at the MP.

My local dealer has a demo arriving in a few weeks time so I thought I'd do some leg work now with the brochure and price list. After endless hours looking over the California price / options list I set aside a chunk of time only to find that actually there are hardly any options... I'm not keen on the driver aids (blind spot and the like) so once I discounted them this is it....

360 deg camera - £335.00
Metallic paint - £645.00
Remote online - £150.00

On the road = £60,565.00

I'm a bit taken aback as knowing Mercedes I expected to be throwing a long list of options on the spec. To be honest I might not even go with Command but since having BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI and as this is going to be a daily driver I think I will probably benefit.

Am I missing something?! Has anybody else spec'd one up? Have I missed a hidden supplementary list of options somewhere o_O?

BTW - I'm not saying it's cheap, just surprisingly easy to spec (and maybe order :Grin)

360 deg camera - £335.00
Metallic paint - £645.00
Remote online - £150.00

On the road = £60,565.00

Hi do you mind me asking which dealer will have the demo? Thanks
All the best

When I looked there was no 4Matic option. (VW 4Motion equivalent) That meant the end of considering one for me.

Over here the 4matic is available in the configurator for the Marco Polo.

(in spanish)

So they are making them...

Over here the 4matic is available in the configurator for the Marco Polo.

(in spanish)

So they are making them...
Yes, when i looked at the Marco Polo before UK launch I saw the 4 wheel drive version but it's not listed on UK right hand drive.

I found the same over 4 years ago when I wanted a 4 wheel drive estate car. Vw, Audi etc did. I bought a BMW Xdrive 3 series, no 5 series then. Mercedes now do 4matic estates in UK.
The cost of making a 4Matic in right hand drive is obviously a problem for Mercedes until they get established in the campervan UK market.

Wonder why my thread has been moved to 'Light Hearted Chit Chat' ?!

Seems such an odd move. Surely discussion about a serious competitor to the California including it's spec and pricing is a worthy discussion topic?

Light hearted chit chat is for 'All discussions not directly related to the VW California'. As its not a Cali I'd say this is where this discussion belongs.
Agree. :agreed

It would be a shame if any kind of antagonism developed between Cali and Marco Polo owners/potential owners. We have more in common than divides us.... It's interesting that the Spanish list is called furgovw but welcomes discussion of MPs and other campers at an equal level.

Nothing wrong with discussing other campervan brands or anything for that matter , but in the correct subcategory.
There are diffrent category's on the forum for a reason , like finding treads ,..
Not to exclude anyone.
And now back "on topic" everyone! ;)

No antagoism but this is a VW California forum. I am sure we are interested in other makes but there has to be moderation. Good luck if you want an MP but remember we are VW owners and those who dislike VW or choose other makes can contribute. Other brands should be in general chit chat as an easy way of referencing.

Sure all noted and fair enough. It is a little confusing when a mega thread on the MP remains in the same category I posted in. Shouldn't moderation apply equally? Otherwise it's going to feel a bit 'clicky' and if I'm honest a little like a new member isn't welcome.

Not trying to stir up anything but just wanted to give the feedback of how it felt to me :)

Hi all
Does anyone know when and where the first uk demos are expected? Would be good to see in flesh before purchasing.
All the best

I have been told some time in April the showroom / demo vehicles will arrive.

I have been told some time in April the showroom / demo vehicles will arrive.
I am I correct in assuming that you would be expected to purchase 'blind' at present?

I am I correct in assuming that you would be expected to purchase 'blind' at present?

Yes - You can order now but as you say it will be blind. Dealer said I can have a test drive in a V-Class which give some indication of the chassis, engine and gearbox. As well as the dash and controls etc...

But myself I wouldn't consider it until I've seen it in the flash. At this stage I'm still heavily in favour of the Cali but since it's only a few weeks I'll have a look. The main upside for me is the 'more car like' cockpit environment with things like the 360 degree view... And the dealer network given it's accessed via the passenger vehicle not commercial sales operation!

Agree that in principal the car side appears better to deal with.
Only concern I'd have would be that after purchase the car servicing Dept. wouldn't be in a position to physically handle it.
On second thoughts they deal with the V class I presume and the big 4x4 vehicles. Need confirmation though.

I had a Merc Company car back in the 90's and received poor service (treated as some sort of low life).
They have changed since I think? Put me of though.

Agree VW need to catch up with today's technology standard fittings.

Went for a Cali. Don't regret it.

I do like the look of the current Hymer van range especially if I was a regular camper. toilet onboard and pop up roof with proper ladder access.. More out there than VW & the MP to tempt buyers in my opinion.

Last edited:
Agree that in principal the car side appears better to deal with.
Only concern I'd have would be that after purchase the car servicing Dept. wouldn't be in a position to physically handle it.
On second thoughts they deal with the V class I presume and the big 4x4 vehicles. Need confirmation though.

I had a Merc Company car back in the 90's and received poor service (treated as some sort of low life).
They have changed since I think? Put me of though.

Agree VW need to catch up with today's technology standard fittings.

Went for a Cali. Don't regret it.

I do like the look of the current Hymer van range especially if I was a regular camper. toilet onboard and pop up roof with proper ladder access.. More out there than VW & the MP to tempt buyers in my opinion.

Having driven the MP for weekend it is an awesome drive, I love VW but they are a bit in the dark ages in so many ways, its a shame but you will love the MP, they are around as I saw one last weekend so there must be some demos out there.

Back