Hubble

Hubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi
Fairly sure this is due to AC drain pipe either
a) blocked, or
b) come off.
Can anyone tell me whereabouts I should be looking for this? I think the drain pipe connects to the evaporator, wherever that is?
Thanks

Hi
Fairly sure this is due to AC drain pipe either
a) blocked, or
b) come off.
Can anyone tell me whereabouts I should be looking for this? I think the drain pipe connects to the evaporator, wherever that is?
Thanks
Normally it would be on the engine compartment bulkhead. Had a similar problem on a Land Rover Defender.
This might help.

Sounds more like the roof gutter drain pipes? They run down the A pillar. I would have thought the air con drain would be forward of the bulkhead.

Think you’re on the right track with the Aircon evaporator drain. They get a few mentions for being blocked around the t’inernet. I think you’re going to have to get under the dashboard to locate it but hopefully this diagram may help you on your way…

5e92949c8d2524b314b8b36d2bae190d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think you’re on the right track with the Aircon evaporator drain. They get a few mentions for being blocked around the t’inernet. I think you’re going to have to get under the dashboard to locate it but hopefully this diagram may help you on your way…

Part 17 is the culprit you’re looking for.

Sounds more like the roof gutter drain pipes? They run down the A pillar. I would have thought the air con drain would be forward of the bulkhead.
The Drain is the engine side of the bulkhead, but, the air inlet and evaporater are on the cabin side. If the Drain gets blocked the AirCon Water backs up and drains out of the footwell air vent eventually.

we are talking T4s here. Not sure they bothered with pesky roof drains.

Last edited:
Changed it to read ‘pesky ROOF drains’. Is that correct?

Ah ha. Works for me. I’ve read a few cases of the sealant between panels on the A Pillar of the T4 deteriorating over time to allow water in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I'll get onto it this weekend now I've got an idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get onto it this weekend now I've got an idea what I'm looking for.

Interested to know what you discover during your investigation. With photos if you’re so inclined. Good luck.

Interested to know what you discover during your investigation. With photos if you’re so inclined. Good luck.

Investigation this weekend revealed the drain pipe going into a hole in the floorIMG_20190915_163105780.jpg
This not fixed, just pushed in.
The dampness had been under the floor mats on both front footwells so I wondered if the leak was coming from lower down. So I pulled out the hose and placed it in a plastic bottle and went for a 30 min drive with air con on full. Bottle filled with half a litre of water and no signs of damp in the footwells. This would suggest to me that the leak is coming from where the hose pushes into the hole in the floor, or lower. The thing is, I can't see what happens after that and investigation is tricky without removing the carpet, which I don't want to do if I can help it!

Investigation this weekend revealed the drain pipe going into a hole in the floorView attachment 50438
The dampness had been under the floor mats on both front footwells so I wondered if the leak was coming from lower down. So I pulled out the hose and placed it in a plastic bottle and went for a 30 min drive with air con on full. Bottle filled with half a litre of water and no signs of damp in the footwells. This would suggest to me that the leak is coming from where the hose pushes into the hole in the floor, or lower. The thing is, I can't see what happens after that and investigation is tricky without removing the carpet, which I don't want to do if I can help it!
Investigation this weekend revealed the drain pipe going into a hole in the floorView attachment 50438

Looks like you're making headway with this. That's a really useful photo too. Did you need to remove much of the lower dashboard for access? I've been trying to find other images of the associated parts. As you can imagine its not easily done. What did find was this US website selling the grommet that the pipe pushes into. If you scroll through the pictures you'll see it looks like it could fairly easily get blocked. Is there any way of disconnecting the other end of the pipe so you can blow down it to force any debris out on the underside of your Westy.

First I had to remove a panel and foam from underneath the dash on the passenger side, then take out the centre console. Not difficult, just a few screws. No doubt it will be just as easy to put back (!). I think the other end of the pipe is fixed with some kind of clip. Maybe I could just cut a length of garden hose to try and blow the obstruction out? Looks about the same size.

First I had to remove a panel and foam from underneath the dash on the passenger side, then take out the centre console. Not difficult, just a few screws. No doubt it will be just as easy to put back (!). I think the other end of the pipe is fixed with some kind of clip. Maybe I could just cut a length of garden hose to try and blow the obstruction out? Looks about the same size.

Nice. Doesn’t sound too complicated to access. I may investigate ours to makes sure everything is running freely. The short length of garden hose sounds like a good solution rather than disturbing the original pipe any more than necessary. Hopefully it reveals the blockage to you.

Just threaded a length of electrical cable through the grommet and it came out the other side without any suggestion of obstruction. I have feeling that the drain pipe is supposed to clip onto something on the other side of the grommet but can’t be sure. Need to find a diagram!

Are you sure this isn't the windscreen leaking. Common fault. Its happening again right now in my syncro! Bugger!

Hello mrcheesebrough. Thank you for detailed explanation of this "water" problem, I have traced it to a (double) blockage in the air con condensate drain pi
Hello mrcheesebrough, thank you for the detailed explanation of this "water" problem - as you correctly said I have traced it to a (double) blockage in the air con drain pipe (part no. 17) just above the exit bung (spiders!!).
Previously the carpets were flooded (absolutely sodden) from the blocked pipe but everywhere is now dry except for a small piece of the carpet on the crease at the drivers side (RHD) where the carpet comes down from the wheel arch and around the top of the drivers step. The carpet is plastic backed and on the drivers side has an additional piece of plastic on the top for the drivers heels
This damp patch only feels "wet" from underneath and leaves just a small damp patch on a piece of tissue when I drag it across the area from underneath. It seems to be getting smaller by the day and it's been a couple of weeks since I found the blocked drains so I am inclined to think that it is just a delay in the drying of the water residue in this area due to the sandwich effect of the plastic on the carpet.

Would you agree - there is no new new water ingressing on that side/area even with all the recent rain, and all drains have been checked as has the windscreen?
Kind regards
Ken

Back