Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WATER IN PASSENGER FOOTWELL

PJ500

PJ500

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,
I have a water leak in the passenger footwell which I think maybe coming from the a/c condense pipe.
Looking at previous threads on here most leaks seem to be from blocked roof drains.
My leak seems to stop when the a/c is off and there was no leak driving in heavy rain yesterday which is why I suspect the a/c pipe.
I'm trying to remove the panel under the glove box to get some access. I have removed 3 torx screws but can't remove it - am I missing something?
Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi,
I have a water leak in the passenger footwell which I think maybe coming from the a/c condense pipe.
Looking at previous threads on here most leaks seem to be from blocked roof drains.
My leak seems to stop when the a/c is off and there was no leak driving in heavy rain yesterday which is why I suspect the a/c pipe.
I'm trying to remove the panel under the glove box to get some access. I have removed 3 torx screws but can't remove it - am I missing something?
Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Paul
Have a look at the engine compartment bulkhead. There are some black rubber drains from the water box. They are, I believe, supposed to open when the level in the box rises. On my 2012 one drain was blocked by a dead fly. You can pinch them to open the soft rubber valve and drain it manually.

Have a look at the engine compartment bulkhead. There are some black rubber drains from the water box. They are, I believe, supposed to open when the level in the box rises. On my 2012 one drain was blocked by a dead fly. You can pinch them to open the soft rubber valve and drain it manually.
Thanks, I’ll look at that..

Have a search of the forum using the spy glass search function top right.

various threads On the “roof drain pipe “ coming away at a joint hidden in the B pillar / dash area.

try also searching “footwell”

if you can’t find them shout and someone will gladly help out

Last edited:
Have a search of the forum using the soy glass search function top right.

various threads On the “roof drain pipe “ coming away at a joint hidden in the B pillar / dash area.

try also searching “footwell”

if you can’t find them shout and someone will gladly help out
Thanks,
Yes, already looked through the search but I think it’s the condense pipe not a blocked drainage pipe.
Any idea how to remove the plastic panel below the glove box??
Thanks..

Thanks,
Yes, already looked through the search but I think it’s the condense pipe not a blocked drainage pipe.
Any idea how to remove the plastic panel below the glove box??
Thanks..

pull gently, use a trim pry tool if it’s stiff to get off front lip first

Last edited:
Many thanks Perfectos,
I have removed the panel & pipe connection looks ok.
Also cleaned all the leaves out of the bonnet scuttle.
Will test the roof drains tomorrow...
Following up on your issue.

guess what I went out to my Van this morning getting ready for a trip.

the passenger footwell mat had a small amount of water on it , surface dampness underneath passenger footwell rubber mat.

Yesterday I heard the A/c gurgling after a relatively short run. (Not noticed it before or again) A/c running on coldest setting.

Checked the roof drains ; clear & working 100% (100ml syringe of water injected in front roof drain , discharge amount to front wheels similar volume to the 100ml injected via the roof drain holes).

recently cleaned out scuttle and silicon sprayed the Valves so I know that’s OK . (now confirmed working as tested above).

removed the passenger lower footwell panel (A/c air filter kick panel cover) to check pipes etc , no obvious issue , all dry .

I can only conclude the damp is from the A/c condensing water within the van ducting ( gurgling sound) and venting to the footwell, where it sits under the rubber mat , unable to evaporate effectively (there are a couple of vents on the passenger side , cut out in lower dash panel Which look like vents for condensate water).

removed the rubber mat, Vacuumed the footwell, left the passenger door open, and it dried out quickly .

IMO the amount of water is fairly minimal, although feels generally damp under the matt (as it would ) don’t think the amount of water is commensurate with a roof leak. I will keep an eye on it but suspect it normal function of the AC (AC on constantly ATM).

hope this helps , check you roof drains , if they work correctly it’s probably AC

Last edited:
Following up on your issue.

guess what I went out to my Van this morning getting ready for a trip.

the passenger footwell mat had a small amount of water on it , surface dampness underneath passenger footwell rubber mat.

Yesterday I heard the A/c gurgling after a relatively short run. (Not noticed it before or again) A/c running on coldest setting.

Checked the roof drains ; clear & working 100% (100ml syringe of water injected in front roof drain , discharge amount to front wheels similar volume to the 100ml injected via the roof drain holes).

recently cleaned out scuttle and silicon sprayed the Valves so I know that’s OK . (now confirmed working as tested above).

removed the passenger lower footwell panel (A/c air filter kick panel cover) to check pipes etc , no obvious issue , all dry .

I can only conclude the damp is from the A/c condensing water within the van ducting ( gurgling sound) and venting to the footwell, where it sits under the rubber mat , unable to evaporate effectively (there are a couple of vents on the passenger side , cut out in lower dash panel Which look like vents for condensate water).

removed the rubber mat, Vacuumed the footwell, left the passenger door open, and it dried out quickly .

IMO the amount of water is fairly minimal, although feels generally damp under the matt (as it would ) don’t think the amount of water is commensurate with a roof leak. I will keep an eye on it but suspect it normal function of the AC (AC on constantly ATM).

hope this helps , check you roof drains , if they work correctly it’s probably AC
It seems like the same as ours..
Our A/C is working fine with no leaks and we are away camping in Devon with some heavy rainstorms and no leaks.
Not sure what caused it but seems ok now…

Back