Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water leak to footwell

Recently had a new windscreen, whilst the fitter had removed the scuttle cover I cleaned it out, 4.5 year old van had a surprising amount of decaying crud built up in either corner (where roof drains), it perfectly feasible the amalgamated crud and new leaves are preventing water draining correctly to the wheel arches.
removal of the scuttle is vey easy, remove both wiper arms, pop off the bonnet seal (body mounted) and lift out the plastic cover, you can then get your hand in to remove the crude , give it a wash and check the drainage holes are clear and free running.

let us know how you get on :thumb

Edit : this is what I found when I removed the leading edge of the wheel arch liner, presumably washed down from the scuttle and road whilst driving, maybe worth cleaning the arch liners out at the same time as the scuttle ?

B1E65532-06CC-4771-A24F-C3E483791D4A.jpeg

E0123D5B-3118-45D8-AEF9-3773742B7322.jpeg

Recently had a new windscreen, whilst the fitter had removed the scuttle cover I cleaned it out, 4.5 year old van had a surprising amount of decaying crud built up in either corner (where roof drains), it perfectly feasible the amalgamated crud and new leaves are preventing water draining correctly to the wheel arches.
removal of the scuttle is vey easy, remove both wiper arms, pop off the bonnet seal (body mounted) and lift out the plastic cover, you can then get your hand in to remove the crude , give it a wash and check the drainage holes are clear and free running.

Edit : this is what I found when I removed the leading edge of the wheel arch liner, presumably washed down from the scuttle and road whilst driving, maybe worth cleaning the arch liners out at the same time as the scuttle ?

View attachment 100954

View attachment 100955
Yes well mine is 14 years old always parked near trees!
I’ll go at it next week.

Was thinking about this this morning. Trying to work out why it’s happening now.
If I pour water in the roof drain, with roof up, it appears in footwell. BUT the leak happens when the roof is down and I’m really quite certain that my roof seal is good and watertight. SO I think when it rains the water pours off the windscreen and into the scuttle and under the bonnet to where the roof channel drains. I thinks that is where it’s clogged with leaves and so the water goes into the footwell. So as the water from both scenarios ends up in the same place the water ends up in the same place.
Answer, clear the scuttle but can’t get at it until Tuesday.

View attachment 100954

View attachment 100955
Was this easy to remove? Screws or clips? Brute force?

I made up an extension tube for a dyson cordless. Just narrow enough to get down the gap next to the bonnet hinge. It’s long enough to get down to the wheel arch.
I think it’s this gap where most of the bigger crap gets washed into the wing.

Was this easy to remove? Screws or clips? Brute force?
here’s a vid:
remove wipers arms & bonnet seal (body mounted) to allow the panel to be popped off. The grommet at the end of the panel (Near side) slides out of the plastic panel to allow the panel to be fully removed.

wiper arm removal , noting this is not a Transporter, the idea is the same:

Last edited:
here’s a vid:
remove wipers arms & bonnet seal (body mounted) to allow the panel to be popped off. The grommet at the end of the panel (Near side) slides out of the plastic panel to allow the panel to be fully removed.

wiper arm removal , noting this is not a Transporter, the idea is the same:

It was the wheel arch liner removal I meant. Was that easy?

This one screw on either side , easier if you turn the steering to give better access ( don’t try and move the steering wheel when the engine is not running)

B7C20567-88DA-4C04-9EEB-438F887F36F8.jpeg

2AD56714-603D-4CCA-B809-D20D0FD3AFF8.jpeg

7B568DA0-4273-41BB-8B8D-C777E8D91A29.jpeg

Cleared out the corners of the scuttle and wheel arch liner. Lots of leaves and crud.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem.
Posted on other thread.
Will take A pillar apart next week.

Cleared out the corners of the scuttle and wheel arch liner. Lots of leaves and crud.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem.
Posted on other thread.
Will take A pillar apart next week.
Have you tried actually injecting water into the roof drain rather than pouring water into the roof channel.
This would show whether the drain is OK if nothing leaks out. Whereas water in the roof channel could be draining into the A pillar because the mastic sealing drain and wiring/ hydraulic line has failed.

Have you tried actually injecting water into the roof drain rather than pouring water into the roof channel.
This would show whether the drain is OK if nothing leaks out. Whereas water in the roof channel could be draining into the A pillar because the mastic sealing drain and wiring/ hydraulic line has failed.
Yup and it leaked into footwell. Warm water.
D8FD75E3-4B63-455E-B685-844DAE7573EC.jpeg
Posted on the other thread I had previously started.

Back