Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 Cali niggles

rich11235

rich11235

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

4 weeks in to Cali ownership and everything , except a few niggles. Anyone help with these:

1) gas stove burner very weak, both rings. At first I thought bottle was out, but even after a fresh bottle is very weak. Burns with a slightly yellow tipped flame. Ambient temperature is currently 18 deg (and Cadac bottle works fine) so obviously not vaporisation problem

2) Rotary / select button on camping “mission control” feels very ‘loose and early’ like it’s not really connected to anything. It does work with a bit of a wiggle, but sometimes when you press the button it doesn’t do anything unless you wiggle it. Can the button/ switch be replaced or is it a complete new unit ?

3) Mine is a MY2010 SE, I’m pretty sure it should have power folding mirrors. It has the ‘fold’ position in the switch, but were some models not fitted with PF mirrors but given the switch with fold position?
Thanks in advance

Richard

sounds like you need a new gas regulator and a control panel button repair kit. your 2010 should have folding mirrors activated by the switch on the door

Last edited:
Are you folding the mirrors with the ignition on? From memory they only work with it on or very soon after turning it off.

Hi all

4 weeks in to Cali ownership and everything , except a few niggles. Anyone help with these:

1) gas stove burner very weak, both rings. At first I thought bottle was out, but even after a fresh bottle is very weak. Burns with a slightly yellow tipped flame. Ambient temperature is currently 18 deg (and Cadac bottle works fine) so obviously not vaporisation problem

2) Rotary / select button on camping “mission control” feels very ‘loose and early’ like it’s not really connected to anything. It does work with a bit of a wiggle, but sometimes when you press the button it doesn’t do anything unless you wiggle it. Can the button/ switch be replaced or is it a complete new unit ?

3) Mine is a MY2010 SE, I’m pretty sure it should have power folding mirrors. It has the ‘fold’ position in the switch, but were some models not fitted with PF mirrors but given the switch with fold position?
Thanks in advance

Richard
As @calikev said.
1. New gas regulator- see Forum Shop.
Also, make sure burners are clean.

2. Replace Control Panel rotary Control. Forum Shop sells kit. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise a refurbished or new Control Panel - £350 to £700.

3. Check Fuse 28, on the lower fuse board, below the dash pullout drawer. 5amp.

Fuse guide and a How To for the Control Panel Control replacement are available in the VIP Resources Section.

Agree you probably need a new regulator. Also check the rubber pipe in the gas bottle container. It is dated and if this has run out you need to get a replacement.
If the flames are yellow tipped the burners are probably sooted up. The colour should be blue throughout the burner ring. The gas is not being burnt fully if not and could be dangerous. Either try to clean the burners, they will come apart, or replace them. All these parts are available from the club shop.
Do always open a window a little when using the hob.

The door mirrors on my 2010 Cali do not automatically fold, only manually. This is a function of later models but not ours unfortunately.
Alan

Thanks Alan. I’d settle for any kind of mirror folding at the moment. To be clear they don’t even move when the switch is in the ‘pointing forward’ fold position. I just wondered whether it was one of those things where they give you the switch even if you haven’t got the feature
Got a new regulator and hose on order

Agree most likely gas regulator sticking can sometimes get it going with a sharp tap but it will stick again so replace. My 2010 SE has folding mirrors but cant tell you if standard or an extra, however I had a motor failure this year, but would be surprised if you have both gone at same time.
Kelvin

Sharp tap just rendered the stove completely useless - dropped the pressure even more. Thank goodness for the Cadac, as we’re camping at the moment

OK sorry to hear that has worked for me in the past, but does confirm new regulator needed.

Thanks Alan. I’d settle for any kind of mirror folding at the moment. To be clear they don’t even move when the switch is in the ‘pointing forward’ fold position. I just wondered whether it was one of those things where they give you the switch even if you haven’t got the feature
Got a new regulator and hose on order
If the mirrors are not folding it may well be the mirror motors have packed up. They tend to get bashed by other drivers occasionally too. I had the driver's door mirror replaced by the dealer recently. Didn't take long and I won a screwdriver! They come ready sprayed in a few colours (our Reflex Silver is a common one) so do check with the parts assistant when ordering it.

Alan

I have a 2008 SE, and all those things work fine, so it looks like you have faults, rather than them being a construction issue.

Thanks all for your help. Speedy delivery received from Campervanbits
Camping Mission Control repair kit - tick
New gas regulator - tick

cooking on gas again, and no saggy knob

Just need to sort those mirrors out now

You need to turn the knob approx 180 degrees to fold the mirrors (ie - pushing the knob upwards towards the mirror fold icon won’t do anything), only took me a week to realise for our 2012 Beach...assuming it’s the same for yours.

Thanks ch1pbutty, yes I’ve tried that, no joy
3 possibilities,
Fuse
Both motors have failed over time and previous owner never bothered to repair.
Mirror damaged and replaced with non folding as cheaper.

Hi all

Thanks in advance

Richard
One more suggestion: don’t delay with replacing the control panel knob! I’m on my third one. The first replacement at 6m (whole CPU, under warranty) the second last year with the kit from the shop (fiddly but much less costly). It will get worse and Sod’s Law means that it will choose the least convenient moment to stop working completely, for instance with the roof up and only half an hour before you need to check in for a ferry. That very nearly happened to me. But none of your glitches sound serious and should be soon fixed. Enjoy your Cali!

Already sorted thanks Richard. The "knob repair kit" arrived very promptly from Campervanbits and it worked a treat! :thumb

Back