Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Cali Audio/SatNav Upgrade

Blind Pew

Blind Pew

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I have just paid the deposit on a Cali for was advertised on your website and looking forward to collect it in the next week or so. Very happy camper!

Just a quick question. This is a 2013 Cali SE and comes with the standard radio. I have just bought an upgrade RNS 315 on E-Bay which includes SatNav, Bluetooth and DAB. It has come out of a 2014 T5 Transporter and I am reliably informed that it should be a fairly simple task to swop them over and I have found a local vehicle electrician who does this sort of thing in his sleep for £40 an hour.

Has anyone else done this and can you obtain separately the maps for Western Europe? We annually travel to South of France and it would be an added bonus if I could get hold of the map updates.

By the way, great forum. Before we bought this Cali we spent quite a bit of time researching and you answered lots of simple and obvious questions, saving us heaps of time and providing good advice.

Thanks to all.

VW should be able to supply a Map Update CD or SD card. Whichever is required at a cost. There are Updates on Amazon or eBay. These are unauthorised copies. Cheap but could damage the unit.

From VW site for the RNS315

Satellite navigation updates
The satellite navigation systems installed in the Volkswagen vehicles will need updating periodically. The update process is simple and relatively quick* depending on the system fitted to your vehicle. Pop along to your local retailer and enjoy a coffee whilst we update your navigation system.

* Navigation updates are available on SD cards, DVD’s or updated via the workshop equipment. Update process and time will vary depending on the system fitted to your vehicle.

Welcome on your first post ,
40£ / hour , as long he does the job in one day seems affortable....;)

VW should be able to supply a Map Update CD or SD card. Whichever is required at a cost. There are Updates on Amazon or eBay. These are unauthorised copies. Cheap but could damage the unit.

From VW site for the RNS315

Satellite navigation updates
The satellite navigation systems installed in the Volkswagen vehicles will need updating periodically. The update process is simple and relatively quick* depending on the system fitted to your vehicle. Pop along to your local retailer and enjoy a coffee whilst we update your navigation system.

* Navigation updates are available on SD cards, DVD’s or updated via the workshop equipment. Update process and time will vary depending on the system fitted to your vehicle.
Thanks Welshgas, I will check when I take it in for service next week.

I got a 2016 map update from ebay for £70, from somewhere in Europe. The map updates are very expensive from VW to be frank. The 315 is a good satnav from my experience, not the latest tech but solid and reliable. Do you have Bluetooth in your van? I managed to enable BT on my RNS315 without buying all the VW kit. I only use it for music streaming but its good none the less.

The actual fitting of the radio is relatively simple, you may require some coding on the van via VCDS to get it working fully.

I got a 2016 map update from ebay for £70, from somewhere in Europe. The map updates are very expensive from VW to be frank. The 315 is a good satnav from my experience, not the latest tech but solid and reliable. Do you have Bluetooth in your van? I managed to enable BT on my RNS315 without buying all the VW kit. I only use it for music streaming but its good none the less.

The actual fitting of the radio is relatively simple, you may require some coding on the van via VCDS to get it working fully.
Matt, Many thanks for replying to this. I have now had the 315 fitted it also came with a DAB+ upgrade box. I just had to provide a DAB aerial (£10) and GPS antenna (£8). £60 to fit which I thought was good value and the electrician managed to get the code from VW as well.

Interesting your point about Bluetooth as it doesn't seem to work, although the 315 is capable of it. Do I have to add anything extra? I managed to get a 2016 map upgrade off EBay so now ready to roll!

Back