Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steel wheels full time

I just bought a set of 16" steel wheels from Tyreleader.co.uk, they were fairly cheap and free delivery. I had them in three days. I did look on eBay but I didn't want a rusty set of wheels.

I'm going to source my winter tyres locally. And will add a couple of coats of rim wax before they are let loose on salty roads.
Seems good price as you say. Where did you get the plastic bolt covers/wheel insert?

I like the look of the 17" inch steel wheels often seen in these forums and I think it's a shame that they usually get relegated to winter duty only.

For me I'd be interested in them for year round use but I'm just wondering if there are any downsides. It occurred to me that, being steel, are they prone to rusting if scuffed? Also are steel wheels less strong than alloys so more susceptible to damage from potholes? They would be going on a Beach if that makes any difference. Cheers

Steel wheels will be stronger than alloys

Steelies can be dented where alu might crack instead. Only downside I can come up with is that they dont help disc brakes cool down as well as alu.
If you like the looks just go on.
I would say best reason for using steelies in winter time is that alu dont stand up to salt very well.

I like the look of the 17" inch steel wheels often seen in these forums and I think it's a shame that they usually get relegated to winter duty only.

For me I'd be interested in them for year round use but I'm just wondering if there are any downsides. It occurred to me that, being steel, are they prone to rusting if scuffed? Also are steel wheels less strong than alloys so more susceptible to damage from potholes? They would be going on a Beach if that makes any difference. Cheers
I agree. I think the steels for the T5 look great. Really chunky and purposeful, nicer than most of the alloys..

Positive, they're much easier to maintain than alloys. Cheaper if you need to replace. Easier to have painted if you fancy a change. Win win.

Steel wheels will be stronger than alloys
Not necessarily so. Cheap alloys yes but high quality alloy one are stronger.
If in doubt just look at the punishment Rally car alloys withstand, even run for miles with no tyre.
A case of you get what you pay for.

I like my steels which I use for winter only. I was cleaning them today and noticed quite a lot of rust spots around the rim edges. Nothing serious, but I guess it really depends on whether you are sensitive to how your main wheels look.

I always look forward to getting the steels on in November, but look forward even more to getting the Thunders back on in the spring.

My beach came with 16" steelies which are now my winter wheels after I bought 17" steelies for the summer, I love the look of them.

I also removed the hub caps with the chrome VW logo and fitted all black ones from a transporter, slowly working towards a Edition 25 white and black look :thumb

Any pics guys? Would like to see how the steels (big fan myself) are looking on different vans?

I have to report on a sad occurrence today. Having replaced my steels for the Thunders for the spring, I'm actually disappointed with the look for the first time (they look a little car like), and may well re-fit the steels (much more van like). :(.

Sorry to hear that CPJP, but we'll need 'before & after' pictures so we can weigh-in with unsolicited second opinions :D

Hirsty - You'll have to wait until I've refitted the steels, but for now I've inserted an artists impression of the van with steels:

$_57.JPG

and with the thunders:

7d41167f-735a-4e1e-98e2-72c31d3aee9a

I like them but as well as the lowering I think 18" is a bit too far as well. 17" maybe?

When people have said they got their steelies from Ben on this forum who is it they're talking about. I'm after some 17's. Thanks for any help.

Have a look on Stitches & Steel for those Amorok wheels.
I like the look of those but don't want to sacrifice too much ride quality so 18's are probably too much. Also trying to go as cheap as I possibly can!

I missed the 18" bit. They might know where to source 17"s?

Back