Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steel wheels full time

CaliforniaBen

CaliforniaBen

VIP Member
I am looking to get rid of my alloys and replace them with a set of 17" steels, I am getting fed up of the wife keep kerbing them and I actually think the steels look quite nice.

I know some of you folks use steel rims in the winter with your winter tyres but does anyone else use steels all year round with some all season tyres? am I right in thinking they come in 16 and 17 inch?

I got two set steels , winter and summer sets i swap sets following the season
They are the standard size 215/65/16

I only use steels, all year round. 17"

On the Cali, I use 16" steels with winter tyres all year round.
But I do drive VERY gently...

Just bought a new Golf & retrofitted it with Michelin Cross-Climates which sound like a better compromise than previous winter or all-season tyres, but are not available for the Cali (yet?).

16" wheels are standard on most T5s and 6s except the 180/204bhp models. The front discs are a larger diameter and only 17" wheels will fit. See Aidy P's picture. above.

Alan

The 150 HP 4motion T6 comes also with 17" wheels and my recently delivered cali has steel wheels as on Aidy P's picture. With the alloys you loose some weight I suppose and maybe gain some acceleration ?

Buy a set of VW 17" steel wheels from Benn who advertises on here. They come with GoodYear Vector 4 all seasons tyres. They are brand new and have been removed from T5s to be replaced with Alloys when they arrive in UK.

I've left mine on for 2 years as they are better on NZ roads (not all sealed) and have decent tread compared to the Dunlop Sports on my Thunder alloys.

Goldie

I bought the 17inch steels from Ben for the winter months - great service by the way.

Use it as a bargaining chip - suggest your wife can drive in the winter, but you get to do the driving in the summer :).

Maybe choosing other tires can help. I noticed manufacturers now have tires with cheeks to prevent damage to wheel rims. You have to look for : MFS, Max Flange Shield: protects the tyre from curb damage
At goodyear it is called 'rim protection' .

Cleaning the Beach yesterday and I noticed that the silver paint is lifting off my steel wheels. Looks like the silver has been painted over black, no problem with rust but there are a few black patches appearing.

Hi. Where are folks getting their steel wheels from?

Seems to be a massive variation out there from factory style to aftermarket (round holes) coming with winter tyres already fitted. Want to make sure I don't end up with something that looks rotten after a winter....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a set of 16" steel wheels from Tyreleader.co.uk, they were fairly cheap and free delivery. I had them in three days. I did look on eBay but I didn't want a rusty set of wheels.

I'm going to source my winter tyres locally. And will add a couple of coats of rim wax before they are let loose on salty roads.

That's a good link Bigmac, thanks. £55 each is good price and I would do same and source tyres here (the website seems to offer car tyres too readily for van wheels!) What is the quality like? ("Demo photo only")

We also bought ours off Tyreleader, dount if you will get cheaper than that. I have seen some super cheap ones around that include tyres but can only assume these are hooky

Thanks Ballistic - seems like a great deal but are they the ones pictured you actually get? Photo is of the factory style and not the cheaper, simple, round hole generic wheel but it does have a disclaimer on there that would suggest it may not be the 'real' deal!

Yes - the 16 & 17" are a different style with the smaller set being used more on the 'standard' Transporter and much easier to find. I'm after the 17" but would like to be sure they look factory rather than a generic wheel. ie are they same as AidyP photo above (one day I'll work out how to post photos on here!!)

What about wheel bolts? I guess you will need different bolts for steel wheels contra alu?

Tyreleader dont commit to what you get sent bearing any resemblance to the stock photo of a factory wheel - following response back when I queried about the product:

Hello,

I'm sorry but I won't be able to give you a good description of these wheels.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused,

Best regards,

May be just me but that sounds a bit alarming. The hunt resumes.....

So 204hp versions can't run 16' right?
Was thinking about getting separate wheels for winter tyres but If can't get them on 16' might be not worth it?
Or still better to get winter ones on steels?

Was thinking about getting separate wheels for winter tyres but If can't get them on 16' might be not worth it?
If the 204 is the same as the 180 it has larger brake disks and calipers and 17" wheels are required as a minimum.

I had 2 sets of wheels on previous vehicles mostly due to winter ones were smaller radius disks.
So not sure if it worth getting same 17' here for separate winter tyres. Finance wise it is not way cheaper to change just the wheels instead of tyres. Any suggestions?

16" fit on my t5 just just. Very little space between breaks and rim. But Now I go for 17" on t6. For winter tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back