Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steel wheels full time

You're joking yeah?

eBay search 17" vw transporter steel & there are dozens new (from £59 each) or used, singles or sets.

You're joking yeah?

eBay search 17" vw transporter steel & there are dozens new (from £59 each) or used, singles or sets.
Sorry hirsty. I was meaning new sets with good tyres just lifted from a new van.
I can get devonports easily for around £500 delivered that are brand new with great tyres. There's plenty of used sets, singles or ones without tyres on. The new sets are a little more rare than the devonports and usually a chunk more expensive. I've messaged one guy. We'll see.

Try the VWT4/5 forum too as lots of wheels get offered on there.

I purchased those new steels for less than they go on ebay as they are being snapped up by those looking to get them banded and this has pushed up the price beyond the new ones I posted the link to... crazy

Managed to get some today. £380 for 4x17 steelies with delivery mileage tyres. :)
Any courier recommendations?

Paisley Freight.
Thanks! Did you wrap your wheels fully in cardboard as the small print says?
My seller has done bubble wrap and some cardboard and plastic but not fully encased in cardboard. Are they picky or would that be ok for them?

I sent tyres, did the full wrap thing with cardboard, as per instructions & the guy that picked them up said I shouldn't have bothered.

I'd still wrap tho, as I'm not that trusting of couriers. Paisley have been good tho, I've also sent a surfboard with them, so for odd shapes, they are probably your best option.

I have two series of steel rims, with continental tires (very good on asphalt and speed) and with nokian weatherprof tires, great on dirt roads ...With steel circles you arrive the same everywhere and do not steal anyone ..hahaha

I've been reading all the old 17" Steel wheel / winter tyre threads and thought I'd post an update:

After looking for weeks on ebay at poor photos and unmatched sets, I did some searching trying to find the bargain guy in Ashford Kent referred to in some of the threads. Several members had asked recently for his contact details but no answers were forthcoming.

I failed but managed to find someone down there doing the same thing and have just bought myself a set of 4 of these 'retro' 17" steels and goodyear cargo vector 2 215/60r17c 109/107t, all weather tyres, which will be my winter boots. Complete with the centre caps, they are £420 if you can collect from Canterbury, or £520 delivered by courier. They are straight off imported vans, delivery mileage. That's the same price (delivered) as buying just the tyres (at about £140 each plus fitting etc) from Tyreleader (who've been recommended here) to which you've got to add the wheels at £57 each.

The chap has a good reputation on the T4/5 forum, so I thought I'd plug him here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138092 He says he has enough for everyone!

As per some of the debate here, they are not the 235/55 on my summer alloys, but perhaps a better (narrower) width for winter use, for my regular journeys across the Woodhead Pass.

He sends an invoice to your paypal account.

I've been reading all the old 17" Steel wheel / winter tyre threads and thought I'd post an update:

After looking for weeks on ebay at poor photos and unmatched sets, I did some searching trying to find the bargain guy in Ashford Kent referred to in some of the threads. Several members had asked recently for his contact details but no answers were forthcoming.

I failed but managed to find someone down there doing the same thing and have just bought myself a set of 4 of these 'retro' 17" steels and goodyear cargo vector 2 215/60r17c 109/107t, all weather tyres, which will be my winter boots. Complete with the centre caps, they are £420 if you can collect from Canterbury, or £520 delivered by courier. They are straight off imported vans, delivery mileage. That's the same price (delivered) as buying just the tyres (at about £140 each plus fitting etc) from Tyreleader (who've been recommended here) to which you've got to add the wheels at £57 each.

The chap has a good reputation on the T4/5 forum, so I thought I'd plug him here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138092 He says he has enough for everyone!

As per some of the debate here, they are not the 235/55 on my summer alloys, but perhaps a better (narrower) width for winter use, for my regular journeys across the Woodhead Pass.

He sends an invoice to your paypal account.
Helpful stuff. Thanks for the info. You're right about the wheels on eBay. Often patchy at best.

Important Update on my posting (1 above).

The wheels turned up but with Dunlop Wintersport3D tyres fitted rather than the Goodyear Cargo Vectors All seasons as advertised. These appears to be full winters (although the seller insists all the vans are coming in with them fitted). If we have a bad winter I'll be regretting my choice but I'm returning them for a full refund and trying to find a set with All-Season tyres.

I'm disappointed as I'd checked with the seller if his listing was still accurate, and he'd assured me it was. (He says he'll now update it).

Important Update on my posting (1 above).

The wheels turned up but with Dunlop Wintersport3D tyres fitted rather than the Goodyear Cargo Vectors All seasons as advertised. These appears to be full winters (although the seller insists all the vans are coming in with them fitted). If we have a bad winter I'll be regretting my choice but I'm returning them for a full refund and trying to find a set with All-Season tyres.

I'm disappointed as I'd checked with the seller if his listing was still accurate, and he'd assured me it was. (He says he'll now update it).
Personally if they are purely for winter why not keep them and use them say Nov-April? We have the Goodyear all season tyres but January last year I was disappointed with the grip when driving on a snowy incline. I think they are a good allrounder but not a full on winter tyre. :thumb

I have 18 inch factory fitted, what size winter tyre do I need if I get 17inch wheels?

I have 18 inch factory fitted, what size winter tyre do I need if I get 17inch wheels?
To keep speedo & gearing the same 235/55/17 or 215/60/17.
215 would be cheaper and probably more brands to pick from. 235 fills the arch better and if coming down from 255 you'd think you had bike tyres with 215s.

Many thanks, anyone got a link to a supplier?
Easiest to do a Google or similar search for the tyre size you want, make sure you have the correct load rating; 102 or 103.

generally winter tyres aren't made by the cheap outfits and don't come cheap.

Look at All Season tyres as we may not have any real winter conditions. Winter tyres are made to run at below 7degrees. Above that wear rate increases with temp.

Possible option>
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/r...rd&Label=E-C-67-1&details=Ordern&typ=D-118617

Last edited:
Back