Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 LED Lights

markab

markab

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Working on our California SPEC at the moment to place an order.

Looking for some advice on the LED Head lights, for T6.1 owners out there how do you find the base spec halogen lights on the coast and beach?

For us we don’t do much night driving at all so in 2 minds on spec’ing the upgrade but was looking for impressions from those who know.

Thanks,
Mark

We have H7s on our T6 and are happy with them.

My wife's 2014 A3 has some form of halogens. Utterly useless compared to the brilliant LEDs on our 6.1 Ocean.

If you found the halogens on your Cali to be inadequate they would cost probably twice as much to retrofit than to specify now.

The difference between halogen and LED is like night and day. Not sure how much more they add to the cost but if you spec the LED’s, in my opinion you absolutely wont regret it.

What do you mean? They cost the same for any spec apart from the ocean where they are standard?
Sorry, I meant in Ocean vs Coast. Even still, in the Beach I wouldn't pay the extra for them...

I have had an older SE with the twin halogen headlight set up & now the Ocean with LEDs.

The LEDs are better on dipped beam, but not a lot different on full beam. Both are considerably better than the old single headlight set up on the beach.

With regards to cost - if you are going to keep for years its up to you whether its worth it, if you are going to be selling in a couple of years LEDs are a good selling point but I don't know if you would recoup the cost.

I think Sads comment was more to do with if you put loads of extras on a coast you might be better off just ordering an ocean that comes with those bits as standard.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I spec’d them on a coast but expect to be driving a fair bit at night on back roads. I think if it had been for occasional use around town I probably wouldn’t have. Cost was 1300 I think so yes a lot. Just read another thread and they have sensors front/rear of vehicle for levelling which somewhat explains the high cost.

If you do get the halogen headlight version upgrade bulbs that make a noticeable improvement are the Osram +150% halogen ones. Not legal to simply put LED bulbs in to replace halogen ones. £20ish for 2 H7's, need 2 sets so £40 to upgrade. Worth doing fog lights as well, H11's, if you have them.

If the Budget permits get LED factory fit. I've not seen any failure issues which is just as well at over £500 for one replacement headlight. You also get much better DRL's.

I didn't have them as it was something like £1745 extra previously which I considered a RIP Off.. Hindsight I should have .

Thanks all for the info.
I had a T6 ocean and never drove at night, didn’t enjoy it. Assumed it was because my eyes were ageing.
Had a loan T6.1 kombi whilst awaiting for mine. Was so impressed with the LED’s, I ordered them for the Beach. Wouldn’t be without. For me, it feels like it’s safer if I need to travel at night. And although I don’t like to and plan not to - the times I will be driving at night will be when there’s been a hold up on a long journey home... so exactly the situation where the extra illumination is going to help tired old me. Was a no brainer for me.

Don’t quote me on this but i’m sure the MY22 spec all have LED lights. I was on the phone yesterday to the dealer discussing my order and they’d just got in the MY22 changes which i’m sure LED was mentioned.

Don’t quote me on this but i’m sure the MY22 spec all have LED lights. I was on the phone yesterday to the dealer discussing my order and they’d just got in the MY22 changes which i’m sure LED was mentioned.
Interesting thanks would be interesting to know when MY22 can be ordered.

It's my understanding that the production change over is June'ish. So there will be orders on the books already that will be MY22.

I understand it's the build week rather than order date that dictates the model year delivered. 1 July has been suggested elsewhere as the changeover date, so any order made now would be MY22

Damn! Just quoted you!

Seriously, that would be a very nice compensation for waiting soooooooo long.

As VW UK seem to function on a system of firing random spreadsheets at each other, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If you could get hold of those MY22 changes I'd be really interested to see them!

Thanks will drop a line to the dealer I am working with and ask.
Sounds like the answer is going to upset me (I was hoping that our build had started this week). Now I am going to be wishing that it had been delayed another 4 weeks ! (Not really!)

LEDs on our MINI are fab, halogen wih Osram bulbs on Cali are OK, halogen on out last 5 series BMW were truly awful!

Back