Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED headlights rip off?

A

applejack

Are we being mugged off with VW charging extra for these LED lights? Most other manafacturers are now offering these as standard as halogen is now very dated. You could understand why they used to charge extra for Xenons as it is/was an expensive technology but the LED lights technology is very cheap and does not justify the stupid price tag.

Again, Cali owners being ripped off:headbang

I know most manufacturers offer LED DRLs as standard but LED headlights aren't generally standard are they? (I could be wrong as I haven't looked at many new cars recently!)

They are an expensive option on BMW.

At the end of the day though an option, not compulsory, you don't have to have them if you feel ripped off.

The wife has a Mazda that had LED's as standard, as quoted above the option price VW want to charge is ludicrous, these are just LED's at the end of the day, possibly cheaper to produce than a halogen bulb!

Golf GTI has xenons/LED as standard, you would think a the Cali, vehicle that costs £50k would have them as standard wouldnt you?

They gotta recover their development costs, then once the older stuff goes on short supply they will become standard.
Of course they could make them standard and put the base price up? but then the beach buyers would moan that there wasn't a cheaper headlight option... ;)

The wife has a Mazda that had LED's as standard, as quoted above the option price VW want to charge is ludicrous, these are just LED's at the end of the day, possibly cheaper to produce than a halogen bulb!
Yes, but when I bought my Cali back in 2011 there were nowhere near as Many options as there are now, which tells you that the money for VW is in the options. Fewer options, less potential revenue.
The logic here being that if you are willing to spend £45k ish on a vehicle, then let's dangle as many high margin & expensive carrots as we possibly can.
Again you don't have to take them, but they are nice to haves...

the standard lights do fine! Hence, i have the Led's and must say i'm blown away from the light they produce, and they loooooook fantastic :))

Back