Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean ordered.

Swislon

Swislon

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all,
My first post. We ordered an Ocean yesterday after considering Conversion, Motor home etc for some time.
We've had two conversions and a caravan in our past so not new to the van life world but things have certainly changed since our last one!
This will become our only vehicle so will be used everyday.
Thanks to this site plus several You Tubers we made our decision after a visit and test drive. Obviously both excited.
Spec so far is:
Ocean 150PS DSG
4 Keys
All weather tyres
Mudflaps
Bed extension and comfort sleeping mat
Shower
80 Litre fuel tank

I am going to add the tow bar for our bikes and considering the safe box.

We ordered the cloth seats but saw in a used van how really dirty and stained they get. Really shocking to see the state of one van only 6 months old.
Are the ArtVelour any better does anyone know or should we just get some seat covers?

Biggest issue is the colour. Ordered Mojave Beige but thinking I'll probably change to Silver. I love the two tone but it is an expensive option and we want to blend in and not stand out too much as the van will go into towns and cities as it is our only vehicle.
Looking forward to many happy years together.
Steve

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum. I am a relative newbie as well. My Ocean is due for collection this week so I am a bit ahead of you. Also based in Dorset so may see you at the beach! This forum is fantastic for advice on options and the endless choice of accessories to put in your van which will while away the waiting time. One tip from experience - dont leave it too late for spec changes, there comes a point where the spec is locked in when you get a build date and they won't alter anything after that. If you have just ordered it will be fine, I made some early changes but went back to ask for a different wheel option later and wasn't allowed. All the best!

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum. I am a relative newbie as well. My Ocean is due for collection this week so I am a bit ahead of you. Also based in Dorset so may see you at the beach! This forum is fantastic for advice on options and the endless choice of accessories to put in your van which will while away the waiting time. One tip from experience - dont leave it too late for spec changes, there comes a point where the spec is locked in when you get a build date and they won't alter anything after that. If you have just ordered it will be fine, I made some early changes but went back to ask for a different wheel option later and wasn't allowed. All the best!
PS meant to say we hired in advance and on the strength of seeing them in action I have gone for the waterproof Inka seat covers - about £150 a set or less. Essential with 2 kids and a dog in my case!

Hi Graham, thanks for your input. No dog (at the moment) and kids grown up but I will definitely check out Inka seat covers.
Steve

Hello from fellow Dorseteers! Agree with Graham to not wait too long to alter spec.

We used to have a 2008 van and never marked the seats badly enough to worry but maybe the newer fabrics are worse.

On the tow bar (which we have ordered), would definitely recommend doing this, or at least the electrics prep, at build as I understand adding after can involve removing part of kitchen to access wiring. If you think you want a tow bar, add now I say.

Hi all,
My first post. We ordered an Ocean yesterday after considering Conversion, Motor home etc for some time.
We've had two conversions and a caravan in our past so not new to the van life world but things have certainly changed since our last one!
This will become our only vehicle so will be used everyday.
Thanks to this site plus several You Tubers we made our decision after a visit and test drive. Obviously both excited.
Spec so far is:
Ocean 150PS DSG
4 Keys
All weather tyres
Mudflaps
Bed extension and comfort sleeping mat
Shower
80 Litre fuel tank

I am going to add the tow bar for our bikes and considering the safe box.

We ordered the cloth seats but saw in a used van how really dirty and stained they get. Really shocking to see the state of one van only 6 months old.
Are the ArtVelour any better does anyone know or should we just get some seat covers?

Biggest issue is the colour. Ordered Mojave Beige but thinking I'll probably change to Silver. I love the two tone but it is an expensive option and we want to blend in and not stand out too much as the van will go into towns and cities as it is our only vehicle.
Looking forward to many happy years together.
Steve
Maybe consider the DCC for the ride

Happy days.
Agree re. the tow bar; definitely worth factory fit if you think you have need.
Have never understood the need for 4 keys though; I know it’s not exactly massive money but come on, who actually needs 4 keys. Never used more than 1 of the 2 keys that are standard on any vehicle, despite having the same car for many years. And if you lose one, you’re going to want to get them reprogrammed anyway. Put it towards the tow bar.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Happy days.
Have never understood the need for 4 keys though; I know it’s not exactly massive money but come on, who actually needs 4 keys. Never used more than 1 of the 2 keys that are standard on any vehicle, despite having the same car for many years. And if you lose one, you’re going to want to get them reprogrammed anyway. Put it towards the tow bar.
If you lose one you can get it cancelled. Then you’ve only 1 key. £200+ for a new one

Happy days.
Personally I think getting the 4 keys is a no brainer considering they cost 200 quid to replace. Also if you travel with a SO, kids, friends etc having an extra key to give someone else so they can access the Cali when you're off doing your own thing is a plus, leaving at least one spare somewhere safe.

Haven’t lost one yet in 30 plus years of motoring. I guess its the thrill of the gamble - pay £120 now and probably never need it, or take a chance and lose £80 in the unlikely event that it goes wrong.

No way my kids are having a key, are you mad?

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
4 keys - my view was that I would use the app if access was needed, no way do the kids get sight of the key. Only time used so far was when my son got back to Florence "the machine" before me and his 3 year old wanted a drink from the fridge. Then I panicked unnecessarily that they might walk away leaving Florence unlocked.

Safe - I went for this but not convinced that the loss of storage and it's in accessibility is worth it.

Tow bar - If in doubt go for tow bar preparation at least then you have the wiring should you decide to go for the tow bar later.

Re ArtVelours seats - YES !

We had them on our T6 Ocean as a bit of a spec afterthought but they really have been fantastic. Very easy to keep clean, much more so than we could have imagined. We used water wipes or baby wipes on ours and they looked as good as new after 20k miles and 2.5 years.

We have ordered them again, very highly recommended.

Thanks for everyone's input. Really helpful.
Order amendment gone in this morning. Thanks Graham and VWCoastbusters for the push.
Changed colour to Reflex silver.
Added tow bar.
Added wood effect floor. (expensive for what it is but, well you know.....)
Changed seats to Art Velour (thanks ITGuy)

I understand the key argument having never lost a key but I guess this is just like insurance. If I don't keep them on the order now then we know what will happen.
Steve

A bit late for you now, sorry..... the standard seats are terrible for showing marks. We are going for leather seats fitted after delivery - for around the same cost as the velour ones. Seen some photos on here and some look fab. Get a choice of colour then too.

Why did you change your mind on Mojave? We've gone for it, we think it looks really classy and a bit different - I don't think you can get it on a normal transporter van so it is exclusive to campers. Just try and forget it has "Beige" in the name!!!

We've just added the towbar to our order too.

Oh and we specced 4 keys too, a no brainer really.

A bit late for you now, sorry..... the standard seats are terrible for showing marks. We are going for leather seats fitted after delivery - for around the same cost as the velour ones. Seen some photos on here and some look fab. Get a choice of colour then too.

Why did you change your mind on Mojave? We've gone for it, we think it looks really classy and a bit different - I don't think you can get it on a normal transporter van so it is exclusive to campers. Just try and forget it has "Beige" in the name!!!

Where will you get your leather seats from?

My dealer offers an option to reupholster the Cali cloth seats in leather. Cost is a little less than the alcantara pleather VW jobbies, but look a lot better and its genuine leather. They remove the cloth and use the frame so I think I might live with the circuit fabric for a while and then go back if I think I need the leather.
thumbnail.jpeg

My dealer offers an option to reupholster the Cali cloth seats in leather. Cost is a little less than the alcantara pleather VW jobbies, but look a lot better and its genuine leather. They remove the cloth and use the frame so I think I might live with the circuit fabric for a while and then go back if I think I need the leather.
View attachment 70660
Look lovely. And that smell.
Which dealer? Wonder if they’d do it for a customer who hadn’t ordered through them...for the same price
When I get my Cali ceramic coated I’m getting the inside done too. Then like you say, use it then replace if necessary. Seems a shame to bin the original fabric unused

Where will you get your leather seats from?
Probably DKSchweizer, but have plenty of time as Cali not due until March/April.

Look lovely. And that smell.
Which dealer? Wonder if they’d do it for a customer who hadn’t ordered through them...for the same price
When I get my Cali ceramic coated I’m getting the inside done too. Then like you say, use it then replace if necessary. Seems a shame to bin the original fabric unused
Or keep the original seat covers in “brand new” condition for resale time as an option or if anyone doesn’t like your leather?

Or keep the original seat covers in “brand new” condition for resale time as an option or if anyone doesn’t like your leather?
Didn''t think of that. If removal can be done without damage its something to consider.
Dealer is campers.eu in Amsterdam

Hi PhilR,
We thought about seat covers first like the Travelling Togs used in theirs but decided to go for ArtVelour following itguy’s intervention above!
I am not keen on making big changes to a vehicle under warrant. Out of warranty is a different matter so will see how the seats look then.
The colour has been the hardest decision.
We want something that doesn’t stand out and shouts camper van as this will be our only vehicle. I want something that doesn’t show the dirt too much as I don’t

Sorry for some reason the whole post didn’t submit.
....like cleaning. That leaves Mojave and Silver IMO.
My wife prefers Silver.

Well fast forward 3 years!
We cancelled the order as delivery kept changing.
We eventually bought a caravan which we have in storage at Wooda site in Bude.
But the itch was still there !!
We pick up our new Ocean on 4th Jan earlier than expected this time. Spec is slightly different and colour is Ascot Grey. We are going to keep the caravan for a while and use as a base when in Cornwall.

Well fast forward 3 years!
We cancelled the order as delivery kept changing.
We eventually bought a caravan which we have in storage at Wooda site in Bude.
But the itch was still there !!
We pick up our new Ocean on 4th Jan earlier than expected this time. Spec is slightly different and colour is Ascot Grey. We are going to keep the caravan for a while and use as a base when in Cornwall.
Fabulous! We did similar - cancelled, then re ordered after much itching!
Ascot is a fine colour.

Couple of things since I posted here…..
We changed to Fortana and love it.
We went for Art Velours seats and so far (12+ months) they are fine.
Towbar - we didn’t go for it in the end, but got the prep done. Big mistake. Not worth it at all as the after market towbar fitters don’t even use the VW towbar prep so it wasn’t any cheaper.
We also got a caravan, but after a few months of Cali ownership. We realised that whilst it is a fabulous vehicle, if we’re staying longer somewhere and with the dogs, the caravan is so much better. Being towed by the Cali is perfect for us as that gives us a brilliant day van. Best of both worlds as far as we are concerned and much preferred to the other (common it seems) option of upgrading to a bigger van. We didn’t want that. We hired a bigger Grand Cali sized van for a week and whilst it was spacious and well equipped, we lost that “go anywhere” bonus you get with a Cali - it was a pain driving and parking.

Good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated!