Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean pop top roof

G

Glenn Blundell

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello,
I have recently posted some threads regarding issues I am having with the pop top roof on our 6.1 Ocean.
I said I would update once the dealership had the van back to investigate.I went to great lengths with photos and full description of the problems via email to the dealer, prior to me bringing the van in. When I turned up this Tuesday, the guy on the desk had no record of my notes, just a job sheet with warranty on it.
I then had to explain everything again about how the canvas sags when it's up for a day or two. How the roof now closes unevenly and how it closed once last month out of line and put a crease in the side of the roof, as it was totally off line.
The dealer has just phoned me to tell me that VW said the sagging in the canvas is perfectly normal and with regards to the roof closing unevenly, they have a tolerance of up to 180mms before they will do anything and mine is only out 130mms. I really have never heard such crap before.
I said what about the damaged roof?
They said they have sent a report to VW and are awaiting instructions.
I obviously told him how fed up I am with this and so disappointed with my whole experience ever since I have had the van. Assuming they repair or replace the roof, how do I ensure this won't happen in the future, if they can't be arsed to address the real issue. They tell me the hydraulics have no leaks and are fine but I really don't believe this.
On another note, they have just replaced the cable's in the front doors for a second time. I had them done this winter after a recall but apparently they didn't solve the original problem and I should have been notified about the mark II replacement version. Didn't get notified about this either, which could have caused me a problem this winter, if I used the van in cold conditions.
Has anyone experience of this or could offer some advice?
The van is with them now while I wait to see want they plan to do with the roof.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Glenn,
You sound really fed up and no wonder. If its any consolation, once the roof is fixed it seems to stay fixed and I’ve really put mine through its paces since I got it back, up down up down, leave it up for 3 nights etc.
Stick to your guns if VW persist with the old “it’s normal “ routine. It isn’t.

Hi Glenn,
You sound really fed up and no wonder. If its any consolation, once the roof is fixed it seems to stay fixed and I’ve really put mine through its paces since I got it back, up down up down, leave it up for 3 nights etc.
Stick to your guns if VW persist with the old “it’s normal “ routine. It isn’t.
Thanks very much for getting back to me about this, it's good to hear some of the dealerships have the customers interest at heart. I've just phoned mine up for an update and they basically they won't do anything about it. They have also said because they don't know how the roof got damaged when bringing it down once ( they obviously think it's something I've done, rather than faulty hydraulics ) they will not repair it under the warranty.
I am now having to go through customer care but really don't hold out much hope.
Seriously thinking of just picking it up and paying someone to sort it and repair the roof, then sell it.
5000 miles and over 2 years warranty left, for what use that appears to be?
Sorry for going on, just so fed up with the whole experience.

Oh dear. Your stance is that the dint in the roof is consequential damage as a result of the roof coming down unevenly. Like in my case the bellows were replaced as they were damaged consequentially. You can argue the toss over that but provided the roof works ok after repair I would think any good body shop could take the dint out for you.
If you go through VW CustomerCare they will allocate an agent to you, who then becomes your point of contact, so you’re not dealing direct with the dealer. In my case the Customer Care agent was good, always kept me updated, phoned when she said she would, etc. It didn’t speed up the job but yes I think it might be a good idea if your relationship with the dealer is not good. Take it step-by-step.

Oh dear. Your stance is that the dint in the roof is consequential damage as a result of the roof coming down unevenly. Like in my case the bellows were replaced as they were damaged consequentially. You can argue the toss over that but provided the roof works ok after repair I would think any good body shop could take the dint out for you.
If you go through VW CustomerCare they will allocate an agent to you, who then becomes your point of contact, so you’re not dealing direct with the dealer. In my case the Customer Care agent was good, always kept me updated, phoned when she said she would, etc. It didn’t speed up the job but yes I think it might be a good idea if your relationship with the dealer is not good. Take it step-by-step.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I've just started the process with the customer care this Morning and they have informed me it may take up to 48 hours to get back. I will definitely let you know what they are prepared to do and hopefully I can get it sorted. I really don't understand this within tolerance stuff they keep spouting. How on earth can a tolerance of 180mms be acceptable?
You would thing VW would be working to a few mms, not nearly 8 inches.
Best wishes Glenn

Couldn’t agree more

Good luck with this.
Let us know how you get on.
The wheels turn slowly.
I know not as awful as your roof.
But broken wheels on my tool bag is still taking 3 months with Brussels Air. It’s almost like they want me to lose my rag and tell them to stuff it. I’ll pay myself.
But hopefully trust the VW process and it will come out right.

Hi @Glenn Blundell . How has this worked out nearly a year later? I am just starting out a potential fight with VWCS and am gathering various information to see how others got on. My issue is whether to replace the pop top canvas or not following several leak episodes.

Back