Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean towing an Eriba (max 1,400kg) 150ps or 199ps?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We are hoping very soon to place an order for our first California. Nearly there with our wish list, just not sure about the engine size. Going with the Ocean, will be towing an Eriba 550 sometimes (maximum weight 1400kg) just wondered if the 199pps would be better or OK with the 150ps. We were thinking the 4Motion if we went for the 199ps, but not sure needed for the extra £3.5K. We camp occasionally on CL sites (grass) and go abroad touring Europe (Austria mountains - not in the winter). Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips abroad (we have a Yeti 150ps 4x4, previously Roomster 1.9 - 105ps which struggled). I know the 4Motion has split opinions on this forum!

Having never owned a California and test driven the 150ps but not towed with one no idea about which power is best. Thinking the 199ps, just for the extra power to help towing, any advice greatly received?

The issue will be traction a 150 has enough power for towing. I went 4x4 for the traction. So either 150 or 4 motion i would say.

I used to tow an 1100kg caravan with a 140hp SE. No problems.
I take it your driving licence allows you to tow this weight combination, ie maximum laden weight of the Cali plus loaded trailer weight?

We have towed a caravan with a 150 and it's okay but since we've had our 199 it's a lot more enjoyable put it that way and if you go for the 4Motion what a brilliant combination for towing.

Didn't think about the towing and licence, just had a look B,BE, C1, C1E, D1,D1E - so
I used to tow an 1100kg caravan with a 140hp SE. No problems.
I take it your driving licence allows you to tow this weight combination, ie maximum laden weight of the Cali plus loaded trailer weight?
Hadn't thought about that so just had a look at my licence, B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E, f,k,l,n,p - so hopefully all OK?

1579553640726.png

We use 150ps Beach to tow Hymer Nova 541 (MTPLN 1800Kg)

Pulls fine in standard spec, although I did have a TDI-Tuning box spec'd at purchase because I was in two minds at that stage if it was going to be enough...... we mainly use 180ps mode (Unit can go to 195ps).

Tuning box was £399 + VAT I think, from dealership.....

View attachment 54382

We use 150ps Beach to tow Hymer Nova 541 (MTPLN 1800Kg)

Pulls fine in standard spec, although I did have a TDI-Tuning box spec'd at purchase because I was in two minds at that stage if it was going to be enough...... we mainly use 180ps mode (Unit can go to 195ps).

Tuning box was £399 + VAT I think, from dealership.....

199 it is then :thumb

I hesitated to comment on the licence but I often wonder how many people are driving combinations that they don't meet the requirements for the appropriate licence?
I'm now 74 so have had to have a medical at 70 and then again last year to maintain my 'Grandad Rights'.
First time physically everything fine and good eyesight so glasses not required. Last year my right eye had deteriorated sufficiently for me to require glasses which I now have to wear always when driving regardless of what I'm driving because of the categories on my driving licence and to ensure I comply with my insurance requirements to maintain it's validity.
Had I decided last year to let my 'Grandad Rights' go and have an ordinary driving licence without all the additional categories, I would not require glasses because my sight is adequate.
Again I wonder how many people are driving without realising the specific sight requirements for the individual categories on their licence and the implications in the event of an 'event'.

You'll be fine with either engine. We occasionally tow a large Brian James enclosed "Race Shuttle" car transporter with either vintage or veteran cars in. So quite a weighty combo. Our 150 ps manual Beach always coped extremely well. I haven't towed it with our 150ps dsg Beach yet but since I've used the same trailer behind Mrs Bs lighter front wheel drive Skoda Superb diesel dsg without any issues, I'm not expecting any problems.

One of the issues with towing is engine oil temperature. It will obviously be higher as the vehicle is working harder. Just keep an eye on it and drive accordingly. If you need to, pull over for a while for a brew whilst it cools down. Having said that I've never had any issues resulting from towing.

Since you can't legally go over 60mph whilst towing in the UK, the only real advantages of having more power is acceleration and hill climbing. If things start to go wrong whilst towing they can do it very quickly. My view is to take things steady when towing and leave the rapid acceleration and braking to the tear ++$€ brigade. Having a 4motion may help with traction but if you tow sensibly you could easily do without that for 99.99% of the time.

Thanks for everyone's comments, heart and head, job!.

So I will see what the boss has to say (my wife) but hopefully we will go with the T6.1 Ocean, 2 tone (White & Bay Leaf Green) 199ps and 4 Motion ;) - gulp £££££

Next decision the wheels, which I think are important, how the California looks, but my wife says as long as they go round and have tyres on...! Like the idea of 18" wheels but think the Teresina (diamond turned) will mark easily (and even more money), so perhaps the 17" Devonport, not so keen on the 'Woodstock'. Again would be easier if you could see the actual wheels on a vehicle rather than looking on the internet!

Im with your wife. Devonports are fine and easy to clean and less likely to rattle your teeth, complete with a spare wheel.

Thanks for everyone's comments, heart and head, job!.

So I will see what the boss has to say (my wife) but hopefully we will go with the T6.1 Ocean, 2 tone (White & Bay Leaf Green) 199ps and 4 Motion ;) - gulp £££££

Next decision the wheels, which I think are important, how the California looks, but my wife says as long as they go round and have tyres on...! Like the idea of 18" wheels but think the Teresina (diamond turned) will mark easily (and even more money), so perhaps the 17" Devonport, not so keen on the 'Woodstock'. Again would be easier if you could see the actual wheels on a vehicle rather than looking on the internet!
Try 18" Sportline Alloys, available from any VW van dealership :thumb

We are hoping very soon to place an order for our first California. Nearly there with our wish list, just not sure about the engine size. Going with the Ocean, will be towing an Eriba 550 sometimes (maximum weight 1400kg) just wondered if the 199pps would be better or OK with the 150ps. We were thinking the 4Motion if we went for the 199ps, but not sure needed for the extra £3.5K. We camp occasionally on CL sites (grass) and go abroad touring Europe (Austria mountains - not in the winter). Have experienced some tight/steep roads on our trips abroad (we have a Yeti 150ps 4x4, previously Roomster 1.9 - 105ps which struggled). I know the 4Motion has split opinions on this forum!

Having never owned a California and test driven the 150ps but not towed with one no idea about which power is best. Thinking the 199ps, just for the extra power to help towing, any advice greatly received?

We tow 1800 kg caravan with 150 psi +t d I
tuning box taking power To 185 and big increase in torque ( box cost £350 )
Fantastic tow car.... just see how many caravans are being towed by calis
Mpg drops to just over 30mpg at 2000 rpm

Back