Gazcaz&family

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi everyone.
I am looking for a (economy) remap on my t6.1
I’m been told by a few it can’t yet be done on the t6.1
T6 yes but not the t6.1 ? (69)reg
Any advice would be appreciated (Birmingham)

Remaps can be great. . However, they come with caveats. You have to inform your insurance company. Also, I believe that they will invalidate your warranty.

I used to have a heavily modified MK1 Focus ST chucking out 315BHP and enough torque to shred the tyres. I do miss my mid life crisis days.

Remaps can be great. . However, they come with caveats. You have to inform your insurance company. Also, I believe that they will invalidate your warranty.
They also will generally have some penalty for any perceived benefits . . e.g. "low-down driveability" used to be something oft quoted for remaps, translated that's "increased low end boost", sending higher torque figures through the clutch(es) at low rpms isn't a great idea.

I have been down the whole modifying scene many years ago and have the blown turbos to prove it (despite carefully considered components, correct mechanicals and high-end custom remaps); if you demand more of an engine, it'll work harder and fail more quickly as a rule.

Remaps definitely invalidate your warranty and they're obvious if they're there, I imagine even more so now than ever with more sophisticated ECUs. "Tuning boxes" used to be commonplace to get around that sort of thing as you could take them off, but even the sophisticated ones were crude and typically just overfuelling devices, so not going to benefit anyone looking for efficiency gains (I imagine these days with DPFs standard they would cause a whole world of pain).

Modern engines are pretty finely balanced things and there's not a huge amount of waste in a Cali diesel engine, you don't see masses of unburnt fuel and the gearbox already strives for economy. If the fuel is already being effectively converted into mechanical power, I can't see how a remap could liberate much fuel economy benefit, although performance is a different matter and the rabbit hole is deep in that area!

Last thing; be wary of people claiming vastly improved efficiency after remaps - I can't comment on how they work with the very latest of engines, but certainly in years gone by what the ECU thinks the engine is consuming isn't necessarily on par with what it actually is once it's been remapped, giving the illusion of better economy "on paper". If someone's claims are backed up with tank-to-tank actual measurements then fair enough though.

On my remap average mpg remained the same. I would definitely go for a tailored remap such as pendle over a generic remap fits all type like revo.

They also will generally have some penalty for any perceived benefits . . e.g. "low-down driveability" used to be something oft quoted for remaps, translated that's "increased low end boost", sending higher torque figures through the clutch(es) at low rpms isn't a great idea.

I have been down the whole modifying scene many years ago and have the blown turbos to prove it (despite carefully considered components, correct mechanicals and high-end custom remaps); if you demand more of an engine, it'll work harder and fail more quickly as a rule.

Remaps definitely invalidate your warranty and they're obvious if they're there, I imagine even more so now than ever with more sophisticated ECUs. "Tuning boxes" used to be commonplace to get around that sort of thing as you could take them off, but even the sophisticated ones were crude and typically just overfuelling devices, so not going to benefit anyone looking for efficiency gains (I imagine these days with DPFs standard they would cause a whole world of pain).

Modern engines are pretty finely balanced things and there's not a huge amount of waste in a Cali diesel engine, you don't see masses of unburnt fuel and the gearbox already strives for economy. If the fuel is already being effectively converted into mechanical power, I can't see how a remap could liberate much fuel economy benefit, although performance is a different matter and the rabbit hole is deep in that area!

Last thing; be wary of people claiming vastly improved efficiency after remaps - I can't comment on how they work with the very latest of engines, but certainly in years gone by what the ECU thinks the engine is consuming isn't necessarily on par with what it actually is once it's been remapped, giving the illusion of better economy "on paper". If someone's claims are backed up with tank-to-tank actual measurements then fair enough though.

Which car / van did you have remapped?

I have remapped cars in the past - both diesel (VW Golf, BMW 3 series) and Petrol (BMW 3 series, VW Golf Gti). It was great fun but I wouldn't do it again.

Insurance is a hassle and it just greatly reduces choice of insurer. There really is no such thing as something for nothing. Remaps usually produce more power - fun. If you use it you will consume more fuel.

The increased economy argument I never understood ... and never experienced. In petrol engines you can advance timing in the pursuit of efficiency but manufacturers are savvy to that and ECUs adjust settings according to fuel quality and knock sensors. In the diesel world more power is just more fuel isn't it? I can't see where the economy comes from. In any case the fuel economy on my Cali is great as it is. Everything these days in terms of factory setup seems to be pretty carefully chosen to balance economy and performance.

So overall I would proceed with caution, and its no longer for me.

Our 2.0 lt/140HP got the DSG remapped and I can recommend this. The gear changes in D match the vehicle much more and transitions are smooth and hardly noticeable. http://www.dsg-dokter.nl/
The average fuel consumption with two bikes on the back and German autoban, mountain passes was 13,2KM/1lt.

Hi everyone.
I am looking for a (economy) remap on my t6.1
I’m been told by a few it can’t yet be done on the t6.1
T6 yes but not the t6.1 ? (69)reg
Any advice would be appreciated (Birmingham)
I don’t think people buy these for economy, that said my 204 6.1 gives around 45mpg on a run, so I’m happy with that plus power when I need it

Standard T6 2.0 150 BMT DSG averages 50mpg solo and 30mpg towing, redex diesel is the answer,

I have the Revo remap on mine T5.1 engine and DSG done at BMVS and it makes the van a lot more driveable. What I have noticed on long motorway inclines is it holds it in 7th gear a lot more due to the extra bit of torque also driving at 50 mph in 7th gear the engine always seemed to be labouring before the remap a bit like it really should have dropped into 6th to the point I was driving it in manual mode (something to do with the ecomode). Fuel consumption is marginally better but the van is much more driveable.

Thats my 2 cents, I would also check out a company called Bluespark Automotive as they do a nice solution

Hope that helps

Cheers
Ian

Breeze VW dealer in Poole are offering engine remaps that are compatible with warrantee. I suspect that is until something goes wrong and then they will blame the map.
The advantage of the dealer doing it is they can reapply after any updates.
My LV insurance states I have to accept all mandatory updates.

Speak to Darkside Developments near Barnsley.
Insurance doesn't always go mad. We remapped our old Yeti and it increased by around £15 for the year.

Had the Abt ECU installed. Runs perfect. No loss of warranty by VW. No messing about with the original VW ECU. 10% more torque, 30 hp more.

IMG_0801.jpeg

We have had 3 stage 1 remaps; Just need to tell the VW garage when they do a software update, they will then set it so it doesn’t delete the remap:

BMW 530d auto Touring
227 to 300bhp
https://www.edmsport.co.uk (near Bicester)
Checked on rolling road
Mpg improved, smoother auto change, held in gear for longer (unless you kicked down.)

VW California 140 manual
140 to 170bhp
Bognor Motors / Revo
Mpg improved, higher midrange torque,
So good fun in county roads when combined with updated ARB’s

VW Club Joker 140 manual
140 to 175bhp, 65nm torque increase
Www.viezo.com (Warwickshire)
Tested on dynamometer
Previous owner had it remapped in 2018
Nice torque and good mpg.

Insurance has never been an issue for us, you just show them the certificate.

The current (NEW) Bosch ECU fitted to 2023 T6.1 models onwards has not yet been decrypted by anyone, so it can not be remapped at present. If anyone says differently then walk away!

If it has this module in the engine bay, your T6.1 is fitted with VW’s latest ECU.............no one has yet broken the code.

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 01.04.43.png

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 01.04.29.png

Last edited:
Exactly! Pendle said same earlier this year, there are also locked delphi ecu's. Any other chip tuning or remaps on the new ecu are just air temp changers.

I have the Revo remap on mine T5.1 engine and DSG done at BMVS and it makes the van a lot more driveable. What I have noticed on long motorway inclines is it holds it in 7th gear a lot more due to the extra bit of torque also driving at 50 mph in 7th gear the engine always seemed to be labouring before the remap a bit like it really should have dropped into 6th to the point I was driving it in manual mode (something to do with the ecomode). Fuel consumption is marginally better but the van is much more driveable.

Thats my 2 cents, I would also check out a company called Bluespark Automotive as they do a nice solution

Hope that helps

Cheers
Ian
When you say your fuel economy has improved slightly, do you mean the driver display is showing a better mpg figure, or did you actually measure miles driven vs fuel added? Remaps are notorious for making the mpg figures read incorrectly on the driver display.

When you say your fuel economy has improved slightly, do you mean the driver display is showing a better mpg figure, or did you actually measure miles driven vs fuel added? Remaps are notorious for making the mpg figures read incorrectly on the driver display.
Thats actual figures, I never use the display figures at all, its not a massive improvement but its no worse if I was doing another remap I would look at Blue Spark

So I had a my 2011 150 DSG SE serviced by the nice folk at Breeze in Poole last year and they rang to ask if I would like a £500 remap (special price!).It will be faster AND more economical he assured me. I was very dubious, but, for various reasons, it was a "what the hell' type of day and I said yes. I had always avoided third party remaps but I figured if VAG say this is OK, good enough for me. I have been incredibly impressed. Acceleration is definitely brisker, though that doesn't really bother me, and economy is massively improved. OK, I know this is just the trip computer, but I have a 41mpg long term economy, and on a trip to Carlisle last week (mostly 60-65mph on the M5 M6 .. with quite a bit 50mph at roadworks) I ended up just shy of 50mpg. That's 2 of us, no bike rack but awning on and full load of camping kit. Now that is so much better than before the work by nearly 10 mpg. I know it's just the computer, but my range is genuinely now over 800 miles and that was never the case before. So I am a complete convert and would recommend to any T5 owners, or any Euro 5 TDI engines probably.

Back