Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Took 3 days to find the squeak.
755BD75B-D8D6-4478-B324-8057DB3898D3.jpeg
7C6B2F7E-34D1-4687-86E6-CFB63E6BFF15.jpeglowly driving me insane.
It’s the rear bench seat rubber pads that are under the bench seat and locate on the metal frame of the bench drawer.
Hopefully pictures tell a thousand words.
05DA6DAD-AA44-4D44-874A-2FAB39507216.jpeg

C88B6A2C-DFC4-4EEC-A2DA-1DBC6207A97D.jpeg

07D3CCAF-DCE8-4A3A-80B4-802B0EFEEF68.jpeg

72FB9BB6-5B8C-4834-89F1-75A1D990D439.jpeg

DE821489-CAFA-4744-8FB6-B50429D07F9D.jpeg

49644CDF-FBBC-402C-890F-22DD32930116.jpeg

DACCB59F-A376-4E76-87D4-C9D0990B40DC.jpeg

Used two strips of Felt Tape.
Squeak eliminated. :cheers

Thankyou.. thank you thank you... I have the same damn intermittent squeak.. its driving me nuts
Cheers

This is quality detective work, well done. :thumb.
My old T6 had a similar squeak, bet it was the same cause. Over 2 yrs of searching, no joy.....someone else’s problem now though. Hope they read this thread.

Hiya. I spent a few days this summer trying to chase down an under seat noise on my 6.0 - you've inspired to try again!

Anyway, reason for the post is to
1) say thank you!
2) share with others an additional step that may help others :

I wasn't able to lift the seat up enough and shove a cushion underneath as you've shown. It turned out to be a crude lift retaining strap, which is screwed into the side of the seat base on the kitchen side.

Attached pics show location and how to release it.
strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

I'll have to wait a month or so so see if the problem is resolved for me since I've SORNd the vehicle for a month or so during lockdown 2
Cheers

Good detective work, my T5.1 had started to ‘squeak’ from behind me somewhere for the last month or so. No luck tracking it down until .............
As you showed so clearly , lifted seat and temporarily stuck some draught excluder strips on the rubber stops and hey presto. No more polystyrene rubbing on metal sounds.
This forum is a goldmine.
Thank you for the heads up .

I moved the seat back today as my mom sat in the back for a cuppa tea.
The seat back was too upright, so I moved it in to a more laid back position. Think there are 3 back positions. She finished her tea.
I got her to wipe everything down.
I set off home.
Damn it. The exact same squeak is back.
Ive just spent 4 hours on it again.
Did what Jon A said and removed the strap, put felt on the whole underside of the seat.
Drove around. Just as bad.
Moved the bench seat up so it’s not touching and just on hinges. Just as bad.
Moved the back rest in all 3 positions. Just as bad.
Lay the back rest flat. No squeak.
Ive used silicon grease and greased the 6 different bars that the two metal arms lock on to.
Just as bad.
I truly believe it’s the two white bush’s that the back rest pivots on. The Fulcrum point. That’s the only place I can see and hear now.
I have squirted silicon spray on all 4 sides and hope it’s going to have some capillary action into the contact surface areas. After that, I’m at a loss.
I am reliable told, (ex Audi Tech) that there might be a Technical bulletin at VW for a squeaking rear seat.
Its literally the only thing that squeaks in the whole Van. I might resort to driving with the rear seat flat.
Untill VW can lend me a motor and have the back seat out, or even just have the back seat and strip it down and find the root cause.
Just out of interest, how do you remove the bench seat ?
And do you remember the advert of a vw golf squeaking. And it was SWMBO earring !!
Sorry all for the false hope.
I won’t rest until it’s found :thumb

The seat back was too upright, so I moved it in to a more laid back position. Think there are 3 back positions. She finished her tea.
I set off home.
Did what Jon A said and removed the strap, put felt on the whole underside of the seat.
Ive used silicon grease and greased the 6 different bars that the two metal arms lock on to.
Just as bad.
I truly believe it’s the two white bush’s that the back rest pivots on. The Fulcrum point. That’s the only place I can see and hear now.
I have squirted silicon spray on all 4 sides and hope it’s going to have some capillary action into the contact surface areas. After that, I’m at a loss.
I am reliable told, (ex Audi Tech) that there might be a Technical bulletin at VW for a squeaking rear seat.
Its literally the only thing that squeaks in the whole Van. I might resort to driving with the rear seat flat.
Untill VW can lend me a motor and have the back seat out, or even just have the back seat and strip it down and find the root cause.
And do you remember the advert of a vw golf squeaking. And it was SWMBO earring !!

I set off home.
Just as bad.

Oh dear, sorry to hear the squeak is back. I’m happy to have stopped my squeaker but will listen out as it sounds like a built in feature .
To take the seat out is straightforward enough although at least 3 people if not 4 needed as it’s very heavy .

Positions circled in green silicon and WD40 ‘d last night.
The 4x white plastic pivots.
Removed the tool kit.
Now to test it ....

2E74CCCA-DD9A-4C92-AF4B-3A79F2A824F0.jpeg
FB2221F3-E247-4600-86EB-A7B0DC793F3F.jpeg
0F6F775F-6B75-4392-AD06-66C33B94C0B5.jpeg

46163101-8233-451D-AF18-485008616D3D.jpeg

I put some silicon grease in the plastic aperture and the on metal prongs that fit into the plastic aperture.
So not sure which one fixed the squeak.
But I am a happy camper again !! :cheers :cheers

Took 3 days to find the squeak.
View attachment 69159
View attachment 69160lowly driving me insane.
It’s the rear bench seat rubber pads that are under the bench seat and locate on the metal frame of the bench drawer.
Hopefully pictures tell a thousand words.
View attachment 69161

View attachment 69162

View attachment 69163

View attachment 69164

View attachment 69165

View attachment 69166

View attachment 69167

Used two strips of Felt Tape.
Squeak eliminated. :cheers
Unfortunately, after following this method, the problem still exists without any changes.

Unlucky Steve.
I’ve just driven 3 hours and I have zero squeaks now.
Keep looking and finding rubbing points and WD40 them:thumb

I'm currently having luck with some felt and the seat pads, fingers crossed it's the final solution!

Oh wow - I’ve had a really annoying squeak or perhaps more of a creak.. coming from what I thought was the cupboard area next to the fridge.. I bloody wonder!?!.. Thank you so much for this, will now investigate!

Oh wow - I’ve had a really annoying squeak or perhaps more of a creak.. coming from what I thought was the cupboard area next to the fridge.. I bloody wonder!?!.. Thank you so much for this, will now investigate!
Is your table secured correctly. They can flap and make a noise

After opening the seat more than a dozen times and pasting dozens of soft stickers under it, and spraying wd40 on all the joints of the seat, the nasty squeaking sound finally disappeared! So happy. Thank you for your good suggestions in this forum.

Some good remedies posted here!

If anyone has child seats fitted - check those first. For me it was the isofox contact points where the metal child seat arms were gripping the retaining bars in the seat.

I’ve just sprayed some white lithium grease on those and if that doesn’t work I’m going to eBay the children.

I’ve now moved onto finding the squeak from the NS dash vent area after I had a switch retrofitted. Wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add my thanks here too.

Our bench seat squeak has been driving us mad for 2 to 3 years now. My Ocean is still under warranty, but it never squeaks when I take it to the dealer.

We did notice that it was at its worst after someone had sat on the bench seat.

Anyway, after reading this thread, we tried lubricating around the seat pivots, but this made no difference. But some felt pads under the cushion seems to have immediately fixed it. I honestly can't say what a relief it is!

We found it quite easy to access under the seat. We laid the seat back down flat, my wife held the seat bottom up, and I reached over from the boot and applied the pads.

Back