T6 front suspension bushes failure

CaliBear

CaliBear

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice.

We had our front two tyres unevenly wear on the outer edge of the tyres, to the point they needed replacing.

I've had two new tyres fitted and was going to have the tracking checked by the same tyre place, but they told me that there was no point due to the excessive play in the front suspension bushes.
They showed me when you break the whole wheel/arm moves sideways towards the back, which is a bit worrying.

Our Cali Ocean has only done just over 20,500 miles and is coming up to being 5 years old.

Just wondered if this is something needing urgent attention and if anyone has had these go at a similar mileage/age if they have been able to claim on the VW extended warranty?

Also have read about changing the bushes from the rubber ones to poly bushes, wondered if anyone has had this done and if it is better or worse for handling and if it puts anymore stress onto the rest of the suspension and other components on the front end?

Many thanks in advance, C.B.

Sounds like an MOT fail to me if it’s that bad?

Sounds like an MOT fail to me if it’s that bad?
Worryingly it had an MOT and service last November by a VW dealer and nothing was picked up other than the excessive wear on the outer edge of the tyre.

I'm not massively mechanically minded and didn't know the cause of the tyre wear was due to the suspension bushes until being told this by the tyre place.

Worryingly it had an MOT and service last November by a VW dealer and nothing was picked up other than the excessive wear on the outer edge of the tyre.

I'm not massively mechanically minded and didn't know the cause of the tyre wear was due to the suspension bushes until being told this by the tyre place.
Very unlike a VW dealer to miss an opportunity to find something wrong that they can charge for at £160-200 an hour!

I thought there was a name for these bushes ... maybe control or rubbish. Cant remember. A tyre garage told me mine were knackered at 38k after having them do the tracking but VW said no, they are fine.

Anyway, I had uneven tyre wear on 18in with tyre edges so had all the bushes changed at 65k miles for poly bushes. No more tracking to the left and no more uneven tyre wear. So the replacement bushes have paid for themselves already

I thought there was a name for these bushes ... maybe control or rubbish. Cant remember. A tyre garage told me mine were knackered at 38k after having them do the tracking but VW said no, they are fine.

Anyway, I had uneven tyre wear on 18in with tyre edges so had all the bushes changed at 65k miles for poly bushes. No more tracking to the left and no more uneven tyre wear. So the replacement bushes have paid for themselves already
May I ask which type of poly bushes you had as there seems to be two main makes Polybush and Powerflex, or was it another manufacturer?

Also, did you replace the two bushes on each suspension arm as well as the anti roll bar?

Powerflex...all adjustable (apart from front camber as this was supposed to be range) - front and rear. Mine is lowered circa 50mm

Didn't replace the roll bar bushes as these were fine.

Powerflex...all adjustable (apart from front camber as this was supposed to be range) - front and rear. Mine is lowered circa 50mm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Had read somewhere that not changing all bushes could lead to wobble in the steering above certain speeds, but seems silly to replace the roll bar ones if they are still fine.

Will try and find a garage who are capable of fitting these onto the arms. Seems they might need a press to get the old bearings out from what I can gather.

Noisy or no worse?

I have a recently developed squeaking on the rear so I have these to install....when I popped the rear spring out nearly 30k ago the cup was pretty shot

17235763425134057384392683201465.jpg

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Had read somewhere that not changing all bushes could lead to wobble in the steering above certain speeds, but seems silly to replace the roll bar ones if they are still fine.

Will try and find a garage who are capable of fitting these onto the arms. Seems they might need a press to get the old bearings out from what I can gather.
Need to be pressed in. I didn't do mine as I didn't have a press or time but I did the rears on my Volvo. A simple tool should push them in

Need to be pressed in. I didn't do mine as I didn't have a press or time but I did the rears on my Volvo. A simple tool should push them in
Ok, thanks for your help.:thumb

Sorry to be a pain, did you go for the non-adjustable or adjustable type of the powerflex bushes?
Not sure if I need them adjustable or not or if it might make things easier for the tracking to be set up.

I've seen the powerflex bushes on transporter hq website, so will look at buying them and getting my local independent garage to fit them for me.

I bought mine on ebay from Powerflex when they were doing a 10% deal. For the Volvo ones and the cups I've used ML Performance. They are a little slow (quite on the Volvo) but I wasn't in a hurry and they are cheaper.

All adjustable on the VW apart from the front camber ones. I didn't bother as the geometry lowered was supposed to be in the green range under Bognor's tracker.

And I no longer have the wear issue on the front tyres. I'm 11k miles in at the moment on CC (255/45/18) and they are still around 5mm.....even wear across the tyre. Before I would have inside wear on the OSF , and outside edge on the NSF.... some of that could have been the Bridgestone A005s

And I no longer have the wear issue on the front tyres. I'm 11k miles in at the moment on CC (255/45/18) and they are still around 5mm.....even wear across the tyre. Before I would have inside wear on the OSF , and outside edge on the NSF.... some of that could have been the Bridgestone A005s
Thanks for all the advice pjm!

Think this is the best way forward for our Cali as we plan to keep it for a long time.

I’ve no idea how much the bushes are but, if it’s anything like a Golf it’s actually about the same price as a whole lower control arm believe it or not!
Same amount of work and you get the new outer ball joint along with new inboard bushes already installed.

I’ve no idea how much the bushes are but, if it’s anything like a Golf it’s actually about the same price as a whole lower control arm believe it or not!
Same amount of work and you get the new outer ball joint along with new inboard bushes already installed.
Its nothing like a golf, its not the same price , you don't get a ball joint included, apart from that you are correct.

Bushes for a Transporter = £32.50 per side,
Control arm for a transporter =£120 per side ( golf £35)

Don't start me on ball joints...

20k miles for bushes?? Shocking!

20k miles for bushes?? Shocking!
Yeah, seems a bit soon for them to go.

If I need to replace them every 20k to 30k miles it seems like either poor materials or design.

I still have the extended warranty, but my local VW garage can't tell me if it's covered or not without looking and the bushes first, which is annoying as I just want to know if that is a component that is normally covered under the extended warranty.
The kicker is, if it isn't they want £154 for telling me it's not covered.

Surely the question that should be asked is Why the bushes have failed after 20,000 miles?
Sod's Law?
Faulty set of bushes?
Or maybe 20,000 miles in 5 yrs indicating the vehicle has been laid up for extended periods of time with the bushes under compression ?
These are commercial vehicles designed for everyday use so constant movement of the bushes keeping them in good condition rather than static under compression.

Surely the question that should be asked is Why the bushes have failed after 20,000 miles?
Sod's Law?
Faulty set of bushes?
Or maybe 20,000 miles in 5 yrs indicating the vehicle has been laid up for extended periods of time with the bushes under compression ?
These are commercial vehicles designed for everyday use so constant movement of the bushes keeping them in good condition rather than static under compression.
Thats Interesting.

The longest it has ever sat still is probably a month, maybe two months on the odd occasion.

There must be a fair few Californias/transporters at dealerships that spend that amount of time sat still waiting to be sold. Could these have the same issues, too?

I think these vehicles are just “lifed” for the minimum warranty period, after that VW couldn’t care less.
I think they’ve paired the quality down to the bone just to stay afloat financially.

Sad as they were once a great product.

I think these vehicles are just “lifed” for the minimum warranty period, after that VW couldn’t care less.
I think they’ve paired the quality down to the bone just to stay afloat financially.

Sad as they were once a great product.
My T5.1 is a shade short of 140,000 miles, in 9+ years, on original suspension and bushes. Equal tyre wear L-R and F to R. Last tracking check was all within limits as it has been 3 times previously. It is a 4 Motion , if that makes any difference, and it is my everyday vehicle.

Indeed but with each successive iteration they seem to have engineered out more longevity