Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 front suspension bushes failure

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice.

We had our front two tyres unevenly wear on the outer edge of the tyres, to the point they needed replacing.

I've had two new tyres fitted and was going to have the tracking checked by the same tyre place, but they told me that there was no point due to the excessive play in the front suspension bushes.
They showed me when you break the whole wheel/arm moves sideways towards the back, which is a bit worrying.

Our Cali Ocean has only done just over 20,500 miles and is coming up to being 5 years old.

Just wondered if this is something needing urgent attention and if anyone has had these go at a similar mileage/age if they have been able to claim on the VW extended warranty?

Also have read about changing the bushes from the rubber ones to poly bushes, wondered if anyone has had this done and if it is better or worse for handling and if it puts anymore stress onto the rest of the suspension and other components on the front end?

Many thanks in advance, C.B.
I had exactly the same thing happen on my earlier Cali (2017 T6 Ocean 4Motion). Similar age & mileage at the time of the issue (4yrs, around 30,000miles). After a bit of back and forth, VW (I’m in NZ) ultimately agreed to do it under warranty on compassionate grounds, after initially arguing it was wear and tear. They didn’t say much after agreeing to fix it, but I suspect the high weight of the vehicle (I’m told it has the same bushes as a standard tradie van T6) is a factor, as would dirt/sand/dust if you do a lot of off-road driving.

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice.

We had our front two tyres unevenly wear on the outer edge of the tyres, to the point they needed replacing.

I've had two new tyres fitted and was going to have the tracking checked by the same tyre place, but they told me that there was no point due to the excessive play in the front suspension bushes.
They showed me when you break the whole wheel/arm moves sideways towards the back, which is a bit worrying.

Our Cali Ocean has only done just over 20,500 miles and is coming up to being 5 years old.

Just wondered if this is something needing urgent attention and if anyone has had these go at a similar mileage/age if they have been able to claim on the VW extended warranty?

Also have read about changing the bushes from the rubber ones to poly bushes, wondered if anyone has had this done and if it is better or worse for handling and if it puts anymore stress onto the rest of the suspension and other components on the front end?

Many thanks in advance, C.B.
When I had my first MOT I was told that the suspension arm was bent due to failure of the bushes and this was due to wear and tear 23000 miles and not covere by the VW manifacturer warranty which was about to expire. Estimate £1100

It took the threat of small court action to get VW and the main dealer sharing the cost to to repair it

That certainly made my mind up not to trust the VW enough to extent the warranty !

When I had my first MOT I was told that the suspension arm was bent due to failure of the bushes and this was due to wear and tear 23000 miles and not covere by the VW manifacturer warranty which was about to expire. Estimate £1100

It took the threat of small court action to get VW and the main dealer sharing the cost to to repair it

That certainly made my mind up not to trust the VW enough to extent the warranty !
That's very poor on VW. I'm glad you managed to get it sorted, albeit with the hassle of potential legal action.

Seems like the warranty isn't worth much if you have to fight tooth and nail to get things replaced under it.
Every time I have anything that has gone in for warranty it has been a battle to get them to fix it under the warranty, and these have been issues that are known defects.
I guess this must either be the dealership not wanting to have the hassle of claiming the costs back from VW or VW making it harder for dealers to get paid for repairs under warranty.

Powerflex...all adjustable (apart from front camber as this was supposed to be range) - front and rear. Mine is lowered circa 50mm

Didn't replace the roll bar bushes as these were fine.
Fully adjustable kits available for front (caster & camber) plus they also do adjustable rear camber ones which are ideal for lowered vans to reduce the inner tyre wear . T5 & T6 are the same.

Calibear
Those bushes you were talking about are called compliance bushes, the name gives it away, they have to be very bad to fail a mot,
Put a camera onto the wing and watch how much movement the wheels have, all vehicles have movement when braking and cornering, it will surprise you,

I seem to have the same problem, but my local garage has not said my bushes are faulty. They said they get a lot of Transporter based vehicle in with the tyre wear issue.
Sounds like a design problem as VW dealer has said my suspension is fine.
2 year old Beech with 20k on the clock on 17”.

Yeah, seems a bit soon for them to go.

If I need to replace them every 20k to 30k miles it seems like either poor materials or design.

I still have the extended warranty, but my local VW garage can't tell me if it's covered or not without looking and the bushes first, which is annoying as I just want to know if that is a component that is normally covered under the extended warranty.
The kicker is, if it isn't they want £154 for telling me it's not covered.

Yeah, seems a bit soon for them to go.

If I need to replace them every 20k to 30k miles it seems like either poor materials or design.

I still have the extended warranty, but my local VW garage can't tell me if it's covered or not without looking and the bushes first, which is annoying as I just want to know if that is a component that is normally covered under the extended warranty.
The kicker is, if it isn't they want £154 for telling me it's not covered.
No they are not covered unless u threaten the garage with a small court claim asI did when the bushes failed and caused a bent suspension arm.

The garage claimed it was wear and tear.after just under 3 years and 23000 mile

No confidence at all in VW warranty

I seem to have the same problem, but my local garage has not said my bushes are faulty. They said they get a lot of Transporter based vehicle in with the tyre wear issue.
The reason they get transporters (and all other makes no doubt)in with tyre wear is that they are commercial vehicles (not paid for by the drivers) and they smash them up and down kerbs constantly, Not many vehicles can stand that punishment, Also the size of some of the pot holes around,
Definitely not a design issue,

Had the same, changed the bushes and now even tyre wear. Came to the conclusion that the bushes were probably shot at 65k so had them swapped out. Lived with excessive front tyre wear for 30k

No they are not covered unless u threaten the garage with a small court claim asI did when the bushes failed and caused a bent suspension arm.

The garage claimed it was wear and tear.after just under 3 years and 23000 mile

No confidence at all in VW warranty
I would love to know how a a failed rubber bush bends a suspension arm?

I could understand a bent arm due to hitting a kerb or pothole which in turn puts strain on the bush which then fails early.

Ive just replaced both front tyres on my van at 14k, nearside was almost through to the reinforcement on the outer 10mm rest of the tyre had about 4mm evenly across it, offside 4mm left across the whole lot but starting to show signs of the inner edge wearing.

Off to get the alignment checked when I can spare the time.

The reason they get transporters (and all other makes no doubt)in with tyre wear is that they are commercial vehicles (not paid for by the drivers) and they smash them up and down kerbs constantly, Not many vehicles can stand that punishment, Also the size of some of the pot holes around,
My garage said the damaged bushes causing the bent suspension a (£1100 to repair) was definitely not down to potholes or poor road surface - wear and tear was their explanation

My view is that as long as they can put it down to the fault of the drivers using the van they will continue to abide by the first law of insurers - deny liability on the first claim letter

But I am a cynic as far asi insurance and warranties are concerned and VW do not have the best of reputations

My garage said the damaged bushes causing the bent suspension a (£1100 to repair) was definitely not down to potholes or poor road surface - wear and tear was their explanation

My view is that as long as they can put it down to the fault of the drivers using the van they will continue to abide by the first law of insurers - deny liability on the first claim letter

But I am a cynic as far asi insurance’s and warranties are concerned