Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 hookup charging

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does the T6 ocean starter battery charge when it is on hookup ?

it will receive a trickle charge to keep it topped up but won't charge it from flat

mine seems to go flat after just over 2 weeks if i dont drive it
which means that when i work away for a couple of weeks i come back to a flat battery
seems worse with the cold weather

it shouldn't go flat in only 2 weeks is anything draining the battery?

mine seems to go flat after just over 2 weeks if i dont drive it
which means that when i work away for a couple of weeks i come back to a flat battery
seems worse with the cold weather
Check to see if the Engine Battery is made by MOLL. If it is then next time it goes flat, don’t charge it, phone VW Assistance.
As the service is run by the AA they will send out a routine AA patrol if one of the specific VW Assistance patrol is not available. Insist on the VW Assistance patrol in which case they will give you an appointment time when they will attend.
The reason to do it this way is that VW Assistance can test and change the battery within 48 hrs, or sooner, whereas the AA will just get you started and tell you to make an appointment with your Dealership.

Hi @Paul Roe as @WelshGas has said we have a faulty batch of battery’s made by a company called MOLL. We now have a specific technical bullitin regarding these batteries. Vwa will not be able to change the battery as we have to carry out specific tests on the battery in the dealer, when it’s found to be defective as all MOLL battery’s are then the battery is replaced with a VARTA battery and reprogrammed to your vehicle. Book in with your local dealer as soon as you can and get the battery replaced. At the moment there is stock in the uk however we keep running out as the demand is so high and the battery’s go to back order. They then get delivered to us by the pallet load.

FWIW those MOLL batteries are used in porsche as OEM and rated very poor by owners irrespective of the bad batch. If you swap them out for a decent make like Bosch etc then porsche will not extend the warranty.

it shouldn't go flat in only 2 weeks is anything draining the battery?
The first time it went flat i thought it was the dash cam but since then i have always unplugged it so was surprised that it went flat again and again as nothing is switched on except the intruder alarm

Check to see if the Engine Battery is made by MOLL. If it is then next time it goes flat, don’t charge it, phone VW Assistance.
As the service is run by the AA they will send out a routine AA patrol if one of the specific VW Assistance patrol is not available. Insist on the VW Assistance patrol in which case they will give you an appointment time when they will attend.
The reason to do it this way is that VW Assistance can test and change the battery within 48 hrs, or sooner, whereas the AA will just get you started and tell you to make an appointment with your Dealership.

What is the warranty on a T6 ?
i got mine new last august
I got it from leicester but live in the peak district, does anyone know of a dealer that will be able to look at this that is nearer than leicester ?
I spoke to one in derby (ashbourne road) and they said they are not allowed to touch anything that would not be on a basic VW van

Hi All.

Hope VW Guru will reply please.

Does this apply to the leisure batteries also, as our reads 60% to 80% on the control panel when we do not use are California for about 4 days or so.
I attached the mains hook up yesterday to make sure it was reading 100%.
So will check later this week.
Our California was registered on the 25 September,but we took delivery on the
30 November.
Will check what batteries are fitted this week.
Than you in advance.

Alan

The first time it went flat i thought it was the dash cam but since then i have always unplugged it so was surprised that it went flat again and again as nothing is switched on except the intruder alarm
My 4 yr old T5.1 has just been parked up at Heathrow for 4.5 weeks and started 1st time at -2c, with alarm on, so if yours doesn't last that long there is a problem.
Phone VW Assistance.

Hi All.

Hope VW Guru will reply please.

Does this apply to the leisure batteries also, as our reads 60% to 80% on the control panel when we do not use are California for about 4 days or so.
I attached the mains hook up yesterday to make sure it was reading 100%.
So will check later this week.
Our California was registered on the 25 September,but we took delivery on the
30 November.
Will check what batteries are fitted this week.
Than you in advance.

Alan

Hi @california kid your leisure battery’s will be AGM made by either exide or varta so not effected by the issue with MOLL (EFB) battery’s. It may Just be a case that your leisure battery’s were not fully charged by the dealer before you took ownership. The onboard charger in the Cali is good but not always as efficient at fully restoring a battery by using a separate mains chargers connected individually to the battery’s. Personally I would get your dealer to check the battery’s and if found to be ok which I suspect they will be then they need to fully charge them separately to regain maximum capacity.

Hi @Paul Roe can I ask after it went flat the first time how was the battery recharged ?

Hi @Paul Roe can I ask after it went flat the first time how was the battery recharged ?

It was jump started then left to run for a bit and taken for a Very long drive

My leisure battery is showing 13 volts, but the control panel just shows a flashing symbol for battery status.
The starter battery is reading 8V, sliding door wont even close
Waiting for VW assist at the moment

It was jump started then left to run for a bit and taken for a Very long drive

My leisure battery is showing 13 volts, but the control panel just shows a flashing symbol for battery status.
The starter battery is reading 8V, sliding door wont even close
Waiting for VW assist at the moment

Hi @Paul Roe unfortunately that will not recover a battery these days once a battery has dropped below 10.6 volts then it starts to internally degrade. Most smart chargers can recover a modern battery but driving the vehicle the alternators output is to high and will only surface charge the battery no matter how far you drive it. The battery will need a full charge with a trickle charger to recover it. More than likely your battery is ok but it will need fully restoring with a trickle charge.

the VW assist guy as just been
he jumped it with one of these https://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/products/view-product/varley-red-flash-rf650-grid-start-power-pack/
and then left it connected for 10 mins with the engine running so it recharged his pack.

He then checked the battery charging current 80ish amps
and said that VW advise to replace battery if it 10amp or less charging current
we then discussed brexit and waited or for the battery to fully charge

once fully charged we noticed that the control panel was showing the diesel heater was on, even though it was not, so had to remove control panel to reboot it

also checked then if the starter battery charges from the hookup and it does not appear to, the voltage does not change when you attach the hookup
He then called a friend at VW who also said that the hookup will not charge the starter battery
The handbook is ambiguous about this
he also said that he would expect the battery to take around a month to go flat not 2 weeks
he did a full battery test and it passed
we then had a discussion around stop/start
and he said, switch it off if you intend keep the van a long time or your battery and starter motor will fail out of warranty and it hurts the turbo as it keeps getting its oil flow stopped while hot.

so still not 100% sure if hookup charges it or why it goes flat !
but battery does not seem to be the culprit.

things do not seem right..
on hookup, display shows 8 amps going into leisure battery
start engine, now shows -7.4 amps going out of leisure battery,
switch engine off and on hookup 14 amp now going into leisure battery, it is as if the leisure battery is discharging the when the engine is on.
i wonder if the leisure battery is charging the starter battery and not the alternator

I think you have a fault in the split charge system.

Take it back to a VWCV Leisure dealer for a Cali Master Tech to look at it under warranty. Insist on a Cali trained tech not any of the others.

Alan

As much as what I’m about to say will annoy a lot of people I’m going to say it because there is a common misconception on this forum that the charger when hooked up charges all three battery’s it does not it only charges the leisure battery’s. The charger never has charged anything but the leisure battery’s. With the engine running the alternator charges all three battery’s engine off the engine battery is disconnected via the split charge relay from the leisure battery’s.

In @Paul Roe case for some reason the battery initially discharged that I agree needs investigating how ever the battery is now discharging rapidly because after the initial discharge the battery was never brought back up to capacity by a long term trickle charge and thus it will not ever regain full operation, modern battery’s cannot be brought back to life by driving the vehicle using the alternator the current is to high to restore a battery. I have no doubt after a full trickle charge the battery will retain its charge. Going forward however it’s life span will now be reduced as the internal plates would have suffered damage.

As much as what I’m about to say will annoy a lot of people I’m going to say it because there is a common misconception on this forum that the charger when hooked up charges all three battery’s it does not it only charges the leisure battery’s. The charger never has charged anything but the leisure battery’s. With the engine running the alternator charges all three battery’s engine off the engine battery is disconnected via the split charge relay from the leisure battery’s.

In @Paul Roe case for some reason the battery initially discharged that I agree needs investigating how ever the battery is now discharging rapidly because after the initial discharge the battery was never brought back up to capacity by a long term trickle charge and thus it will not ever regain full operation, modern battery’s cannot be brought back to life by driving the vehicle using the alternator the current is to high to restore a battery. I have no doubt after a full trickle charge the battery will retain its charge. Going forward however it’s life span will now be reduced as the internal plates would have suffered damage.
I must have a fault then.
When placed on Mains Hookup the Control Panel voltage rises to about 14v and the Engine Battery shows 12.7 v. After 12 hrs the Engine Battery voltage rises to the same as the Control Panel/Leisure Battery Voltage.
On Hookup I use the Vehicle ICE system extensively and have never had a problem starting.
Maybe leakage through the Split Charge Relay. Whatever the cause I’m not complaining.

I must have a fault then.
When placed on Mains Hookup the Control Panel voltage rises to about 14v and the Engine Battery shows 12.7 v. After 12 hrs the Engine Battery voltage rises to the same as the Control Panel/Leisure Battery Voltage.
On Hookup I use the Vehicle ICE system extensively and have never had a problem starting.
Maybe leakage through the Split Charge Relay. Whatever the cause I’m not complaining.

Hi @WelshGas ive seen a few with the split charge relay wired incorrectly from factory but hay if it’s charging all three battery’s and your happy with how it’s working then all good :thumb

My ocean DOES charge my starter battery and it is very easy to test this if you know what you are doing and the wiring diagram shows the second output from the EHU charger as I have already posted before.
I have a battery monitor attach to the starter battery and when the EHU is connected the voltage rises and the battery charges back up to 100% overnight, how else could this happen if it was not being trickle charged.

Here are 2 graphs showing 2 recent periods when I have the EHU plugged in and this is the Starter battery.
IMG_1712.png IMG_1713.png

The Control panel can also be reset without removing it (did the technician know how to reset?).

as @Vw guru says an AGM below 10.6 volts is unlikely to recover.
The battery monitor is probably sensing the starter battery in a bad way and cannot drive the alternator correctly when it sees the voltage from the leisure side.
Therefore for any test charge to be carried out successfully in your circumstance, the split charge relay needs to be unplugged so that there is not other batteries in play whilst the engine is running.

Last edited:
my old se i asked my local dealer if it did they said no so i tested the battery with a voltmeter and it read 12.6v when i plugged it into the mains the starter battery was reading 13.2v so it was getting a small charge from somewhere

Back