Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 hookup charging

So, the manual clearly states that it does not charge engine battery on T6, on mine it does not and on some it does. Strange.

A5B2CA88-59D1-4A74-BD3A-44C00CB0C2D4.jpeg A5B2CA88-59D1-4A74-BD3A-44C00CB0C2D4.jpeg 695ED9CE-16ED-4BA6-B5D5-EDE5A8407A5D.jpeg B7F1802D-BDD4-4B45-A05D-7C3DD3400527.jpeg 6CBD721A-AC7D-4DCE-A18E-706993214922.jpeg So since I’m inside a Cali working near the split charge system I’ve done some investigation as all the wiring diagrams clearly state the charger only charges the leisure battery’s and I’ve been lead to believe by all my training over the years that this is true as well as working on the Cali for over 15years (note part of that was t4) it conserns me seeing @Loz graphs that the main battery is reciving a charge on hook up. I don’t disagree with the graphs but it made me think how can this happen as according to the wiring diagram it’s not possible. So the short version of the last hour of investigation is that the main battery is reciving a small flow of residual current via the chassis of the vehicle (negative side) the following pictures show the split charge relay I have disconnected the rear battery and battery under the passengers seat from the relay which is the only place the positive side of all three battery’s connect. The leisure battery’s are charging at 14 volts where as the main vehicle battery is at 12.7 and slowly increasing if I disconnect the two earth connections from the leisure battery’s the main battery no longer receives any current however the charger is still pushing 14 volts at the leisure battery’s. In a round about way the leisure battery charger is charging the main battery but not on purpose it’s purely a repercussion of electron flow through the leisure batterys.

so does it put any charge into the starter battery when on hook up

If you look at this wiring diagram shows another feed from the charger through fuse SD3 which is where I think the trickle charge is coming from.
IMG_1970.jpeg

Because if you pull fuse SD3 the 12.7 volts disappears.

As far as I’m aware SD3 is a feed to the charger not from

26F1E25C-3A4C-4184-92DD-AD6AF38A9BB7.jpeg
As far as I’m aware SD3 is a feed to the charger not from
Sorry pressed the wrong button meant to up load a photo the fuse also powers other options depending on equipment however I will check this out in the morning. It’s not the first time vw have told us the wrong thing.

I would say the conclusion is to check the voltage of the engine batteries and charge them manually if needed.

Hi Vw Guru.

Thank you for your reply today. I checked what battery has been fitted for the starter battery it is indeed a Varta. Have not checked what leisure batteries are fitted yet.
While at work yesterday I put our California on mains hook up for about 8 hrs
When leaving work the control panel read 100%.

Just been out to our California and the control panel is now reading 60%
With the reading below stating - 0.4 would you advise putting our California back on hook up for a couple of days or suggest I contact our local dealership to have the system tested
Any help comments would be appreciated

ALAN.

Hi Vw Guru.

Thank you for your reply today. I checked what battery has been fitted for the starter battery it is indeed a Varta. Have not checked what leisure batteries are fitted yet.

With the reading below stating - 0.4 would you advise putting our California back on hook up for a couple of days or suggest I contact our local dealership to have the system tested

ALAN.
I would say that you are running on a single leisure battery and check the post fuse on the wardrobe battery.

Hi Loz.

Is the post fuse close to or next to the battery, must admit have not opened the battery compartment yet.
Will have a look tomorrow, as knowing my luck If I go out with a torch now I am likely to break something.
Thank you for your reply.

Alan.

Hi Loz.

Is the post fuse close to or next to the battery, must admit have not opened the battery compartment yet.
Will have a look tomorrow, as knowing my luck If I go out with a torch now I am likely to break something.
Thank you for your reply.

Alan.
It is bolted on the battery post, but you really need to get the battery out to check it, which in itself needs to be done very carefully.

Hi Loz.

As we have only took delivery from 30 November, I think I will contact our local dealership they have a very good tech guy on site, but any more help or comments gladly appreciated.

Alan.

I know what your saying but Its mains fed, I wonder if you could request the circuit diagram for the charger?

Hi @Loz I can only but ask and see what I get back

Hi Vw Guru.

ALAN.

Hi @california kid i agree with Loz it does seem like your running on one battery if you feel you cannot get to the fuse easily then I would take it in to your local dealer and get the system tested

Hi Taff.

I am lost just been out on control panel,been into display can not see how to put on two batteries.
Thank you Vw Guru will phone them to see if there tech guy would do a quick check for us.

Alan.

Hi Taff.

I am lost just been out on control panel,been into display can not see how to put on two batteries.
Thank you Vw Guru will phone them to see if there tech guy would do a quick check for us.

Alan.

What dealer do you use ?

Hi Taff.

Finally worked out the sub menu it was already on 2 battery set up, will take VW Guru advice and get the dealership to check it out many thanks to all for your help. Still learning about all things California related

Alan.

Hi VW Guru.

Although we have purchased our lastest California from Robinson’s of Norwich,
We use Breeze Vw in Poole they have a chap there, is name is Martin,
We bought our previous California from them he sorted out our Electrics for our Tow-bar when it was incorrectly fitted by a tow bar fitter in Poole.
I did phone them a couple of weeks ago they are happy to do any warranty work and our servicing when required.

Can you give us any idea where you are located or would it compromise all the
Help and advice you give on this forum, having someone like yourself on this forum as everybody I hope will agree is a blessing.

Alan.

Hi VW Guru.

Although we have purchased our lastest California from Robinson’s of Norwich,
We use Breeze Vw in Poole they have a chap there, is name is Martin,
We bought our previous California from them he sorted out our Electrics for our Tow-bar when it was incorrectly fitted by a tow bar fitter in Poole.
I did phone them a couple of weeks ago they are happy to do any warranty work and our servicing when required.

Can you give us any idea where you are located or would it compromise all the
Help and advice you give on this forum, having someone like yourself on this forum as everybody I hope will agree is a blessing.

Alan.

Well it looks like you have already met me then :thumb see you soon

Hi Vw Guru.

Are you working Friday or Saturday I would like you to have a quick look for us if possible, can you remember sorting out our California’s towing electrics?

Alan.

Hi Vw Guru.

Are you working Friday or Saturday I would like you to have a quick look for us if possible, can you remember sorting out our California’s towing electrics?

Alan.
Hi Alan

Friday yes Saturday no by all means pop by on Friday. Yes I can remember your tow bar issues. glad we got it rectified.

Hi Vw Guru.

Do you suggest phoning tomorrow or just popping in Friday what time would you suggest as I have a meeting at 11.00 am,what time is your Lunch break as I do not want to interrupt that.

Alan

Back